Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 12:47   #1

Boat: Panda 38
Boat Storage in the Spanish Virgin Islands

I'm looking for a secure, and inexpensive, place to store my 30' Sloop somewhere in the Spanish Virgin Islands. I am up for either mooring or hauling into a yard. I would prefer hauling, but if mooring feels safe and significantly cheaper I can do that. She will only be unattended for no more than 2-3 months at a time with visits of 1-2 weeks in between.

Any suggestions?
lasketella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 18:21   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Boat Storage in the Spanish Virgin Islands

The Spanish Virgins are basically Culebra and Viegues where there is basically nothing but mangroves to tie into. However, Puerto Rico's eastern shore from Fajardo south has numerous options for both marinas and boatyards. Don't forget PR and the Virgins are prime hurricane targets from June to November. Hurricane haulouts are available in the boatyards from Fajardo south and the US Virgins to the east.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 18:33   #3

Thanks for the response. The boat is currently on the hard in Tortola. My goal is to move it somewhere where it is cheaper and more accessible (commercial flights). The main span of time I'm looking for relatively unattended storage is from November to June/July. There will be two or 3 visits along that time frame.
Old 03-11-2011, 18:42   #4

Then I would suggest Benner Bay on St Thomas. It is an enclosed bay with quite a few reasonable marinas who only do multi-month rentals (2 or more). St Thomas has excellent bus service to the airport and connections directly to the USA major hubs. Coral Bay on St Johns is a favorite with locals with boats on moorings, but I suspect getting a spot there would be quite difficult. Also getting to St Thomas and the airport is more complicated.
- - More expensive would be the Fajardo area with half a dozen marinas, but getting to San Juan International is more complicated.
Old 03-11-2011, 19:14   #5

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

I just hauled out at Puerto Del Rey Marina outside of Farjado. Haul and launch was just over $500 and and a little over $400/month storage (40' boat). The staff are very friendly and nice facilities.
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:46   #6

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasketella
I'm looking for a secure, and inexpensive, place to store my 30' Sloop somewhere in the Spanish Virgin Islands. I am up for either mooring or hauling into a yard. I would prefer hauling, but if mooring feels safe and significantly cheaper I can do that. She will only be unattended for no more than 2-3 months at a time with visits of 1-2 weeks in between.

Any suggestions?
As others have correctly stated, there isn't anyplace in the Spanish Virgins that would make sense to leave a boat unattended during hurricane season. Around Fajardo or Independent Boatyard on St Thomas would be my suggestions.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:37   #7

Although your time frame - Nov to Jun/Jul is not totally in the "hurricane season" you might find a marina wet storage easier. However, there is the problem of somebody watching the boat for failed bilge pumps, etc., etc. whereas with dry storage in a boatyard that is not such a problem.

Marina del Rey south of Fajardo is reputed to be one of the best haul out and "hurricane" storage boatyards around. But anywhere you decide to go you need to make your commitments/reservations very early in the year - like Jan-Feb. There are thousands and thousands of boats in the area and only a few hundred spaces so they fill up early. Check with the marina/boatyard's websites to find out by when you need to commit.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:37   #8

Thanks everyone for the info! My goal is to be able to fly in-out of SJU semi frequently and take the $2-3 ferry from fajardo to Culebra/Vieques where my boat will be ready and waiting for me. All told, it is still cheaper to fly to SJU, buy a taxi to Fajardo, and ferry to Culebra or Vieques than it is to simply fly to STT.

Sounds like my hunch was right in that there is really no good place to keep it IN Culebra or Vieques. Fajardo, I think, would still be a more viable option than STT at this point.

I'm in Minnesota now and this winter is creeping up FAST. I'm headed down for a few weeks of out-island detox this weekend. I'll think long and hard about moving it.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:52   #9

Hi, I am from PR. and must say that the info here already posted is spot on. Puerto Del Rey in Fajardo is your best/saffest bet. their are a whole bunch of sailboats on the hard with people doing exactly what you want to do. They tie up the boats really well and are reasponsible people. you could also leave it on a dock at this Marina but I dont know about finding somebdoy to keep a constant watch on the boat.

In Culebra and Vieques their are no real marinas. you could leave your boat in Ensenada Honda in Culebra where their are various boats their long term but you would have to make some kind of arrangement with a local to keep an eye on your boat. If I were you I would go with Puerto Del Rey or the place mentioned in St. Thomas (I have not been to this area of St. Thomas.)

If you end up leaving the boat in PR and would like somebody to look after it once in a while let me know. I go sailing out of Puerto Del Rey about 2 a month and would have no problem doing this for you for free.

Good Luck! Daniel
droquette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage