Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 23:40   #1

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - afLOAT
Boat Storage in Hurricane Season

Urgent request for advice:
I am looking for insurance for my catamaran and want to have tropical storm coverage during hurricane season in the Caribbean. I am leaving November 1 for the Bahamas and sailing onward to the Windward and Leeward island chain, leaving the boat somewhere down there by end of May, 2011 before the next hurricane season. My thoughts at present will be to store the boat in Grenada or Trinidad.
I have a quote from Jackline that exludes storm coverage so that may allow me full coverage if I store the boat in Trinidad providing the yard is not north of 10degrees 50 N latitude.
Grenada is in the Jackline hurricane zone and I am told by my insurance agent that Jackline has no "quota" left for storm coverage in Grenada.

I understand that Jackline is the preferred cruisers insurance.
My problem is I have no certainty that I will get to Trinidad as my final destination 7 months from now and, if not, I will want to have full storm coverage if I leave my cat within the hurricane zone. Does anyone know where Jackline still has "quota space" in the Caribbean island chain for storm coverage and can you recommend a marina/yard that could haul my 23' beam sailing cat.

Alternately, any other recommendations for an insurance company that writes storm coverage, providing the client submits an appropriate hurricane plan.

This is urgent. My existing insurance policy expires in two weeks and I want to secure good insurance for my extended trip and subsequent storage next hurricane season.

Thank you sincerely in advance!
teej
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:14   #2

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Try Pantaenius America, Ltd 914-381-2066. I've used them for three years in the Western Caribbean and am presently covered while stored on the hard in Isla Mujeres. I found their coverage and rates better than Jackline.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:26   #3

Boat: Admiral 38 Catamaran - afLOAT
Thanks very much JJ for the response and recommendation. I got my insurance needs met but will certainly check out your recommendation for next year (winter 2011) when I will be moving my boat from Trindad to the western Carib.
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote