Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2012, 05:00   #16

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Bimini Bound

The current fee is $150 for boats 30 feet and under and $300 for boats 31 feet or over. See rest of info at Customs & Immigration - Vacation Planning | The Bahamas.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 07:55   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

CSY, You must have upset the wrong people. There has been no increase in fees and several people we know have checked in over the last week and paid the standard fee. From the Bahamas website...

Entry Fees:

All boaters entering The Bahamas are required to pay an entry fee.

a) For boats up to 35', the fee is $150.00

b) For boats over 35', the fee is $300.00

The fees will cover:

1) Cruising Permit

2) Fishing Permit

3) Departure Tax for up to four (4) persons. Each additional person above four will be charged a $15 departure tax (from Grand Bahama Island this tax is $18.00 for each additional person above four departing). This fee is good for up to two (2) trips within a 90-day period.

If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangements must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration. Bahamas Customs and Immigration office hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Officers are on call during holidays and weekends. There is no overtime charge.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 08:20   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
CSY, You must have upset the wrong people.
Nah, they changed the fees with no notice.
Official letter from some ministry in the Bahamas hanging on the wall at the Custom office. When guys protest and argue, the Custom officers jsut point to the letter. Boats 30' and under still $150.00, all the rest $300.00.
Got the receipt and crusing permit clearly showing $300.00 paid. Not a scam, unless all the officers in the building are on to it.
The Noonsite are not updated yet, and the Ministry of Tourism have been quiet about it.

Should have gotten a copy of the letter just to post here, but some of you guys are probably good at searching and can find the official Bahamas web page with the fee structure. (If it has been updated)

Believe me, there was no mistake, I protested and argued in a very loud voice as it was really high-way robbery. Been checking in there 25 times over the last 13 years and thought I knew what the fees should be...
Old 29-05-2012, 08:23   #19

Here it is....

Quote:
The current fee is $150 for boats 30 feet and under and $300 for boats 31 feet or over. See rest of info at Customs & Immigration - Vacation Planning | The Bahamas.
Old 29-05-2012, 09:27   #20

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Well the info I posted came from a different place on the same site so it is strange. Chuck

Procedures For Entering The Bahamas - Nassau Paradise Island | The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 09:34   #21

I wonder what the fee is for a boat that is 30.5 feet. The official site states that this fee still covers the Departure Tax for up to three persons, with each additional crew or passenger charged $25.00 ($28.00 in Grand Bahama). However, another site states that is covers up to 4 persons, with a $15 Departure Tax for additional persons.
As with most everything in the Bahamas, expect the unexpected. That's one of the thrills of cruising these beautiful waters.
Old 30-05-2012, 04:10   #22

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser

I have a 35' boat and paid $150.00 at Green Turtle in November 2011.
Old 30-05-2012, 07:12   #23

I think this change was made just in the last week or so. I'm working on getting a copy of the official letter and the actual date of the change, just for the information (I'll post here as well as WaterwayGuide.com). As usual, no one has ever answered the phone at the main customs office in Nassau when I've tried to call, and you can't leave a message. Ahhh, Bahamas!
Old 30-05-2012, 18:22   #24

Quote:
I think this change was made just in the last week or so.
More like March 2012 if I remember the date of the screw-letter correctly.
Old 30-05-2012, 19:04   #25

Boat: 58

I believe the fees have been this way for the last several years. I know, because that is what we have been paying.

The only change I am aware of was last year they added a $25.00 per passenger fee when there are over 4 passengers.

Ken
missnmountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 07:40   #26

Quote:
I believe the fees have been this way for the last several years.
Not for boats between 31 and 35 feet, otherwise we would not have this discussion.

Quote:
I know, because that is what we have been paying.
Well, what size is your boat...?
Old 31-05-2012, 08:44   #27

Well....I just got off the phone with Bahamas Tourism (like I said, Customs never answers the phone, at least when I call). The fees are back to where they were, and anyone who paid too much "can get reimbursed," just visit a Customs office with your paperwork (what could possibly go wrong?). Here's my new post at WG which tells the story:

Until recently, the fee for a boat to clear Bahamas Customs and Immigration was $150.00 for boats up to 35 feet and $300.00 for boats 35 feet and over. This covered a vessel with three persons or less, with departure taxes added for additional crew/passengers.

In mid-May, Customs changed the fee schedule: $150.00 for boats 30 feet and under and $300.00 for boats 31 feet and over, with no indication what they would charge for a boat that is 30.5 feet, for example. The Bahamas.com website was changed to reflect the new fee schedule.

However, Bahamas Tourism officials Carlton Sands and Earl Miller each stated that the policy change was premature and the government has it under reconsideration. "They were advised that it's not a good idea, especially now," said Miller. "The fees are back to where they were."

Sands is aware that some visitors who entered the Bahamas over the last 2 weeks in boats between 30-35 feet may have been charged $300 instead of the $150. "Bring your papers to a Customs office and you will be reimbursed the difference," Sands said. Sands said that his office should have the website information changed back to reflect the correct fees shortly.

As with most everything in the Bahamas, expect the unexpected. That's one of the thrills of cruising these beautiful waters.
Old 31-05-2012, 09:27   #28

Quote:
Sands is aware that some visitors who entered the Bahamas over the last 2 weeks in boats between 30-35 feet may have been charged $300 instead of the $150.
That would be me....

Thanks for investigating Mike, I'll buy you a Kalik..
Old 31-05-2012, 09:37   #29

I'd wait until you see them actually hand you the $150 before you waste your cash buying me a beer! Please post to let us know how it went. Hopefully they will send me an official notice early next week as promised...I will post the link here and on the WG website. Good luck, and have a great time in the Bahamas, regardless! (You'll notice from my boat size that I'm "in the same boat" as you with the fees).
Old 31-05-2012, 09:42   #30

Quote:
I'd wait until you see them actually hand you the $150 before you waste your cash buying me a beer! Please post to let us know how it went.
Yeah, I am not holding my breath, but printed the names you posted so I have some kind of reference for when I show up at the Custom office in the Bahamas next time.

Now back in Florida and may go over again in July.

Only spent a little over a week in the islands and I was pizzed off half the time about the fee, pretty pricy mini-cruise...

Tags
Bimini Islands