Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 06:00   #1

Bimini Anchorage

Hi
I see on the chart an anchorage on the north end of Bimini harbor by the Bimini Bay club. Has anyone been there recently. Is that long narrow channel right before Bimini Bay club still good for 6' and is the anchorage good for 6'.
Thanks
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 07:16   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Bimini Anchorage

Bob, Were sitting here right now so let me tell you what I see. I can't speak for the area near Bimini Bay. The entrance channel into Bimini has been dredged and the lowest water we saw at low tide was 9.7 feet and mostly 15-16 feet. The anchorage just past Bimini Big Game Club is small and the 6 feet does extend out of the channel but shallows to about 5 closer in. There is a strong current here that switches with the tides. We have seen about half of the boat re-anchor a couple of times a day. It's pretty crowded right now and at times there is just no room. The boats will do a little anchor dance as wind and current opposes and the current changes. Yesterday a large catamaran collided with a smaller tri while doing the dance. Boats will swing in all directions and sail forward on their rodes. All of the boats are on a single anchor and if you come in and drop the recommended two anchors you will be worse off since everyone will swing in to you. I have also noticed that most everyone dives or snorkels over their anchor a couple of times a day to check it. All in all it appears the holding is not that good in anything but settled conditions. We haven't seen anyone go further up the channel and anchor. It has been blowing 15 to 20 from the south. If we are still here over the weekend the forecast is for WNW 20 to 30 so it will be very interesting to watch. BTW, we are tied up at the Bimini Big Game Club while doing research on our new book if that might be any indication to you. I hope this helps. There is another anchorage at Nixon Harbor but that is also iffy and reported with so so holding. We plan to check it out later. It's also a long way from anything and can be a rough dinghy ride to Alicetown. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 04:28   #3

Chuck
The anchorage I am asking about is next to the Bimini Bay resort north of the long narrow channel at the very north end. It sounds like you are at the one next to the Big Game Club. Let me know when you check out the other anchorage at Nixon harbor. I do not see that one on the chart.
Thanks for the reply.
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 05:01   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Where is Nixon harbor. Are we still in Bimini?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 05:06   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

My favorite spot in that anchorage is just off the BBG Club.... a LARGE tractor tire; like 10' diameter, 2000# large. I love to drop my anchor into that tire!
Old 28-02-2013, 05:12   #6

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
My favorite spot in that anchorage is just off the BBG Club.... a LARGE tractor tire; like 10' diameter, 2000# large. I love to drop my anchor into that tire!
A free Tire Mooring. What side of the BBG club is it on? Doesn't show above
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BBG club Bimini.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	55850  
Old 28-02-2013, 05:15   #7
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Holding is poor in Bimini Harbor, not recommended.
Nixon harbor is good and protected from the North, Northwest and Northeast. Do not anchor there with a South wind, you will drag..
There can be some shelter up by Paradise Point from a South East wind, but still subject to swells.
If the weather is snotty in the Bimini area, I tie up to Weeches Marina, cheap and you have access to showers, etc.
Old 28-02-2013, 05:17   #8

Quote:
Where is Nixon harbor. Are we still in Bimini?
Nixon Harbor are on South Bimini, grassy bottom, some shelter.
Old 28-02-2013, 06:05   #9

Community Sponsor

1) So you come into Bimini and tie up at Weech's Bimini Dock and Bay which is just before the government dock (Customs). Do they let you just tie up for a few hours?
2) You check into customs
3) Then you leave Weech's Bimini Dock and Bay
4) Head over to South Bimini and anchor in Nixon Harbor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	South Bimini Nixons Harbor.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	55853  
Old 28-02-2013, 06:14   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The last couple of times I was in Bimini I decided to anchor off the beach on the west side of the island. First time I had to because the anchorage was jammed and there was not a slip available at any marina on the island (fishing tournament had booked every slip). After that I liked it so much it has become my preferred option.

NOTE!! This is NOT the place to be if a front comes through but in normal trade wind conditions it's great. In spots you can drop the hook a hundred feet or so off the beach. It's hard sand, good holding and very little surge. Dinghy to the beach and it's a two minute walk over the hill to town. Plus you usually have the whole place to yourself.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 06:45   #11

Quote:
1) So you come into Bimini and tie up at Weech's Bimini Dock and Bay which is just before the government dock (Customs). Do they let you just tie up for a few hours?
2) You check into customs
3) Then you leave Weech's Bimini Dock and Bay
4) Head over to South Bimini and anchor in Nixon Harbor
I usually stay for a day or two at Weech's before I head out to anchor, if you are only staying for a few hours, ask what the charge is, if any.
The Custom place has moved (again), now at the Big Game place.
As for where to anchor, it depends on the weather.

Quote:
The last couple of times I was in Bimini I decided to anchor off the beach on the west side of the island.
Anchored of the beach (called Radio Beach) 30 or 40 times. Good holding, but can be rolly in swells even with an East Wind.
Use plenty anchor lights as you have high speed traffic there at night.

If you are spending a few nights in the area, consider Gun and North Cat Cay, some good anchorages there. Spent 3 days in a gale there last summer at the anchorage just East of the airport. Even the local fishermen came there to hole up for the gale.
Old 28-02-2013, 06:58   #12

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The last couple of times I was in Bimini I decided to anchor off the beach on the west side of the island. First time I had to because the anchorage was jammed and there was not a slip available at any marina on the island (fishing tournament had booked every slip). After that I liked it so much it has become my preferred option.

NOTE!! This is NOT the place to be if a front comes through but in normal trade wind conditions it's great. In spots you can drop the hook a hundred feet or so off the beach. It's hard sand, good holding and very little surge. Dinghy to the beach and it's a two minute walk over the hill to town. Plus you usually have the whole place to yourself.
Anchoring on the west side (Radio Beach) of Bimini, sounds like a good strategy if the weather is good.

Go over the hill to check in at customs.

If the weather pipes up then head over to South Bimini and anchor in Nixon Harbor
Old 28-02-2013, 09:59   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
If you are spending a few nights in the area, consider Gun and North Cat Cay, some good anchorages there. Spent 3 days in a gale there last summer at the anchorage just East of the airport. Even the local fishermen came there to hole up for the gale.
Last time I was in the area I chartered a boat and spent 10 days in the area diving with friends. In 10 days we hit every anchorage in the area but since the first week it was blowing 20-25 kts out of the east we spent that part of the trip anchored on the Gulf Stream side of things. Bimini Harbor was pretty choppy and getting in and out of the marinas a real hair raiser.
Old 28-02-2013, 10:00   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Anchoring on the west side (Radio Beach) of Bimini, sounds like a good strategy if the weather is good.

Go over the hill to check in at customs.

If the weather pipes up then head over to South Bimini and anchor in Nixon Harbor
Gee. Seems like everyone knows that is called Radio Beach except me. Learn something new every day.

Thanks
Old 28-02-2013, 11:52   #15

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Here's the scoop on the anchorage. It's only big enough for 6 to 7 boats and you'll be pretty close. The bottom is sandy and the holding is reported to be good. the depths are about 15 feet at low tide. Dinghy access is allowed at Bimini Bay Marina. You can use the heads, drop off trash and buy water but no use of the showers. There is a restaurant and shops on site. You are about a mile and a half from all of the stores and facilities in Alicetown and the golf carts at the marina are for marina guests only. There is a bus but it is not running right now and probably only runs during the busy season which is during the summer months. Hope this helps. Chuck

Name:	DSC09458.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	55869

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bimini