Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2011, 09:40   #16

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3

Even though I am in the process of looking for both real estate and then a boat in the Tampa Bay areas, there are some caveats.

Although I agree that Tampa Bay is protected most of the time, and hasn't been hit by a Cat 4-5 since 1921, disaster preparedness advise that if one was to hit, the catastrophe would be significantly worse than anything that Katrina dished out.

Take a look at the flood zones in Pinellas, Hillsborough and Manatee counties.

Where do you go if you get a Gulf Cat 4-5 that swings in from the SW?
Yes I am well aware since I grew up here.
I have weathered the hurricanes since 1958. There are no guarantees on any coastline but historically this is a good place to be.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:42   #17

Sorry didn't answer your question. Go inland if took don't wait to long.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:02   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Best Year-Round Cruising - US / Caribbean

No one place is going to be perfect. Florida insurance rates are astronomical during hurricane season, plus its the lightning capital of the world. The ABC's have nuclear winds during the winter, and few anchorages--if you go to the nearby Venezuelan islands legally or illegally, you run the risk of losing your boat and/or your life. Annapolis is hotter than Hades in the summer, with jellyfish. The water's too cold to swim in the Northeast.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 20:26   #19

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle
I second Tampa bay for year round sailing. Terrific hurricane hole and weather is very warm in summer but awesome the rest of the time.
Hum, I grew up in St. Pete but never really considered it. I remember sailing in Tampa Bay and have been to egmont(sp) key many time but where do you gunkhole from Tampa Bay?
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 20:42   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
For us, the top spot would be the PNW (Seattle to Prince Rupert) - you can sail all year long, with wonderful destinations, and its not too crowded (go a bit north during the busy summer season).
+1

About 15yr ago or so, I think it was Cruising world evaluated all the major cruising areas and the PNW came out on top. Nothing was stunningly good, but everything was at least pretty good:
Reasonable costs,
lots of interestingdestinations,
major cities at hand,
lack of bugs,
no named storms.

The only big issue is winds can be pretty light for periods.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 20:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic
I would suggest Shelter Bay Marina in Colon Panama. Hurricane free, and the San Blas are right there all year around. The Pacific side of Costa Rica wouldn't be my choice. No facilities, and everything is expensive, or not available. Once on the northern side of the canal. Everything is available to you when cane season passes, and within a short distance.......i2f
Shelter bay looks like a great location. The travelift is only 6" wider than our cat? Could be tricky but I'll call them.
Old 13-09-2011, 20:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie
+1

About 15yr ago or so, I think it was Cruising world evaluated all the major cruising areas and the PNW came out on top.
Ok what marina for a big cat?
Old 13-09-2011, 21:00   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
Hum, I grew up in St. Pete but never really considered it. I remember sailing in Tampa Bay and have been to egmont(sp) key many time but where do you gunkhole from Tampa Bay?
the manatee river, for one--i would have wanted to see a different area but each of the 3 or 4 times we went into tampa bay we went to manatee --we could anchor there in safety and some protection and rest. good mud and some flounder and channel cat caught, saw rays jumping and dolphin--caught conch... lots of places on those rivers in that bay for 'sploring in a kayak or small boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 04:33   #24

I would love to own cat down here. Most of the water is fairly shallow. Cockroach bay, little manatee river, Boca ceiga bay, caledesi island, egmont, ft desoto island, sarasota bay, ft myers, Naples, the channel to Stuart from Naples, shark river, keys, Florida bay. Or you can head north.
Old 14-09-2011, 05:31   #25
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

I would think 6ft. is fine. Imagine's beam is 23'3", and you can see the clearance on the lift, and 3" left over in the slip iitself.

Shelter Bay also shuttles the tenants in, and out of Colon to the grocery store for free Across the street is the free zone too.....i2f
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine_port_tite[1].JPG
Views:	181
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	31640   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine_up[1].JPG
Views:	148
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	31641  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 05:34   #26

Boat: Looking for a new boat

San Diego, San Diego, San Diego. Duh!
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 05:38   #27
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
I second Tampa bay for year round sailing. Terrific hurricane hole and weather is very warm in summer but awesome the rest of the time.

It's not that bad even in the summer along the west coast because you nearly always have either an east wind or a west wind .... but you can't pay me to run with the wind in the summer. I'd rather jybe from side to side. Give me some breeze!!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 07:25   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I would think 6ft. is fine. Imagine's beam is 23'3". i2f
Unfortunaly our beam is 28' 4". Probabaly cant use the travelift. Not sure we would want to leave her in the water for an extended period. Thoughts?
Old 14-09-2011, 08:28   #29

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I grew up in Fla. Jax and St. Pete. I saw a show about the worst case scenario for a hurricane in a major metropolitan area and Tampa Bay is at the top. If a major storm gets a good (bad) aim at the mouth of the bay then it would send a storm surge of 20 to 30 feet up the bay effectively wiping out just about everything. You and your boat would not survive. Katrina would be a minor catastrophe by comparison. Also, it is not warm in the summer it is brutally hot with bugs especially skeeters and noseeums. I also remember it being fairly windless. I still think the Atlantic side is windier but I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong, Fla is fine in the winter and if you don't mind sweating profusely every single moment you are outdoors then you will like it in the summer. But it's not for me. BTW in another life I might have gone shrooming in the cow pastures that used to be alongside the Manatee River. But that was the 70s and I don't remember much. Agility, I PMed you BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 09:00   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
San Diego, San Diego, San Diego. Duh!
have you been in san diego in winter during the storm season???????
san diego is NOT a year round sailing center. i KNOW. i just left that hole.
if you like sailing in 90+ kt winds, and 38 degree temps, san diego is the place.
having lived in san diego YEAR ROUND, on board, for umpteen million years too long, i concur with western florida and caribean. in hot air--anchor-- you will always have a thru breeze.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising