Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2020, 16:06   #76

Re: Best/Good/Interesting Places to Go/Stop At on US East Coast

To me, one of the main factors on choosing an area to spend a little time in is how cruiser friendly it is. Eg. Georgia off my list due to it’s blatant snubbbing of cruisers. I vote with my anchor and dock line. Don’t want me? No problem, lots of places do. North Carolina is one of the most cruiser friendly and affordable states to cruise. Town of Beaufort, oriental (free docks). Great sailing in the Neuse, Pamlico and Albemarle sounds. You can gunkhole up the Pamlico River to the ‘original Washington” quaint town, modern docks, great protected anchorage, affordable docks, free docks! Modern clean marina on the city front run by the City. Dock Master an experienced cruiser. AND a west marine within easy walk form marina or dingy dock! Also some nice restaurants It’s a lovely 23 miles up the river from the ICW. Worth the trip. The little town of Belhaven. Again plenty of docks and anchorage area. Lots of places to stop along the ICW northward. Elizabeth City on the Dismal Swamp route again has free docks. Normally they have a free wine and cheese party for cruisers on the waterfront on Saturdays ! Talk about boater friendly. Dismal swamp a unique pleasant trip for vessels of moderate draft. Again, spend the night in the canal on a nice quiet free dock. What’s not to like. Lots of anchorages all along NC ICW routes. And you won’t get people and police telling you that you have to leave!!! You can’t anchor here!! Who needs that crap. Enjoy. The trip. Iv’e just touched on the area.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 16:08   #77

What djousset said, twice over.

The nearest thing to sailor's heaven there is, even with the lobster pots. Speaking of lobster, stop off at Port Clyde and pick up a couple of 1 1/4 pounders and a pound of butter.
Old 14-12-2020, 17:01   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I have to agree with merrydolphin, and give the nod to NC.....by far and away, the most friendliest and accommodating State for the yachtie....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 17:12   #79

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Due to the virus I am going north next Spring to cooler summer temps. Now I have done this trip a few times, but this time I plan to be more leisure.
Think about what you plan to see and call ahead to see what is actually open. Vaccine or not you cannot assume that everyplace will be open. The great tour of USCG air station Elizabeth City probably won't open for tours in FY21. Same with the Naval Academy tour in Annapolis.

Regarding Annapolis, we are a culinary wasteland. Two and three star food at four and five star prices. Lots of dining in tents which isn't outdoors, just uncomfortable.

Outstanding food in DC but you'll need to ride the Metro (subway) to get to it. That may or may not meet your risk thresholds.

Also excellent food in Baltimore and within walking distance of most of the Inner Harbor marinas. Aquarium and Science Museum are great when open. A couple of ships and a submarine, again if they are open.

If you want to see Manhattan I recommend staying in Atlantic Highlands NJ and taking the commuter ferry. Nothing says the NYC experience like a commute from NJ. *grin*
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 20:35   #80

Boat: Privilege 482

Great list! About the only thing we know of that I didn't see elsewhere in the thread is Cuttyhunk and Wood's Hole in MA.
Old 14-12-2020, 21:17   #81

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Well I will toss out a few.

Fall River Ma- battleship
Hadley Harbor Ma - peaceful on weekday
New Bedford Ma - whaling history
Provincetown Ma - gayness and fun
Boston Islands Ma - forts hidden all over
Boston - enough said
Salem Ma - witch history tackiness
Glouster Ma - fishing history
Thatcher Island CapeAnn Ma - twin lighthouses
Rockland Ma - moffit #1 the most painted building ever
Portland Me - great walking eating town, old fort if you are brave

I am sure alot have slipped my mind
CAPE AND ISLANDS

Try Cuttyhunk. Beautiful, protected, more to do than Hadley. Gotta wait for the tide to get in and out of the pond (channel is 5 feet at MLW). You find a ball and guys come out and charge you there. Or you anchor outside the Pond, which is fine in the prevailing southerlies in summer.

No Vinyud? Oak Bluffs is so cute. Great pubs, too. Kind of busy but ...

Provincetown is great. You can anchor off Long Point, too, if you don't mind puttering across the harbor. Best bet in a southeasterly. Row ashore and walk the causeway to town if you want the cardio. Be aware of white sharks if you decide to swim on the beaches. They are everywhere.

BOSTON HAHBUH ILUNDS

Spectacle Island has a great beachglass beach and National Park rangers who explain which color glass came from which era. Also have lovely views. Dockwa rents moorings for $10.

Lovells Island has grills on the shore with views of the sunset over Boston. You can anchor.

Great Brewster Island has an anchorage that is excellent in the prevailing southerly in summer.

SALEM SOUNDAlternative to Marblehead/Salem: You can do a day dock at Manchester-by-the-Sea for 8$ an hour, grab some lobstah and an ice cream.. and overnight at Misery Island for free. there are two coves, one with protection from Northerlies and the other with protection from southerlies. Moorings available or you can anchor (we anchor).

CAPE ANN

Re: Rockland You mean Rockport. In anything but a northerly, you can stay in Thachers for free, then tie up in rockport for lunch. Or drop a hook in Sandy Bay.

Annisquam/Lobster Cove. Beautiful beaches, available buoys. Cutesy little town. They used to have an amazing restaurant, but they closed.

Lotta good anchorage in inner Gloucester Harbor. Moorings available in the western harbor while you wait for the Blynman Canal.

SOUTHERN MAINE which real Mainers call "Boston"

Try York (nice beaches, salt water taffy)

Kittery (outlets!)

Kennebunkport (I forget what you draw)

Cape Neddick (anchor in the harbor, which gives you access to the iconic little lighthouse)

I love New England. Have fun!
Old 14-12-2020, 22:47   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Sailorboy,

Great thread idea. Similar thoughts. Furthest North (USA) I have been is Marblehead. But have crossed Southbound from NS a couple of times.

Our plan is to drive to Newfoundland for the summer but, who knows, Covid!!! (Spits)

We have done ICW.

Ocracoke Island. Outer banks.
New Bern, NC. Nice historic town, big museum.
Edenton, NC Small pretty historic town, free marina 2 nights.
Elizabeth City, NC. Good museum easy walking distance.
St Marys, GA for Thanksgiving

Delaware River/Philadelphia is all yuck, unless you like big cities.
Annapolis, MD
St Michels, MD - good museum
Solomons Island, MD
Norfolk area has a lot.
You forgot to mention Beaufort NC. Great Maritime museum which is right on the water. The museum celebrates the Maritime History of NC. This includes the infamous pirate Blackbeard who sailed these waters 300 years ago. He ran aground just out side the entrance to the harbor. An archeological search f the wreck has been going on for about 10 years and many artifacts are in the museum. Restaurants, laundry and shops right on the waterfront. You can anchor within 100 yards of shore right of town. 8 miles out of town is Cape Lookout with one of the 10 best beaches in the US.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 10:16   #83

This may have been said already...

Stopping in Portland is like eating the cake without the frosting. The best sailing starts in Casco Bay (Portland) and extends eastward.

From Buzzards Bay north:

The Cape Cod Canal can be quite the trip... then a short jaunt to Cape Ann - Gloucester, MA and the home of the old fishing industry...good mooring field with launch service to restaurants and museums (and repair places).

Then crossing the Boston shipping lanes to Portsmouth, NH - Portsmouth has Strawberry Bank for eating and shopping - a couple of mooring fields, IDK about anchorages. Small-ish...not really memorable...(Sorry Portsmouth!)

Portsmouth to Portland there's not much to see or places to put in. It's one 8-10 hour day. Some people just do the 24 hour sail straight from CCC to Portland and skip Cape Ann and Portsmouth.

I sail in Casco Bay - and have ventured further east so here are some thoughts that might be helpful:

Casco Bay is sometimes called the Calendar Islands because there are so many of them. It's great for gunk holing and being close to nature, although almost every marina will have a (good) restaurant attached. Portland is I think the leading foodie city of the nation... more restaurants per capita than any other.

Further east (sailed on the broad reach, hence the name "DownEast" - which means you're beating to windward coming back or just doing a straight shot to the CCC) you'll have a 6 hour sail to Boothbay from Portland - quintessential small Maine town with gift shops and restaurants - check out Sherman's for gifts and the Ebb Tide for food. Old school Maine. And the Botanical Gardens! (new school Maine). No anchoring I know of but the Carousel Marina has moorings and is a 10 minute walk across the bridge to the village.

The next great sailing place is Penobscot Bay - larger Islands - incredible scenery - many places to anchor or get repairs done. Penobscot is frequently though of as the true cruising capital of Maine

Bar Harbor is in Penobscot Bay and has had so much money come into it that the fabric is changing. Here you can see the sailing yacht AND color coordinated motor yacht tied up to the same private dock of a waterfront mansion...owned by a celebrity of some kind. But also incredible scenery.

If you wanted to truly adventure - make it all the way to up to Roque Island. Isolated sailing up there so bring your food and fuel. The tides are 12+ feet so watch the current - but it is pristine and still isolated enough to not be overrun by boaters. The lobsterman up there stop hauling and offer a friendly wave as sailors are infrequent - nothing like Portland Harbor and south.

If you are serious about sailing Maine - check out the Maine Coast Guide - it's online...
KellyMarcena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 18:01   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Great comments; several mentioned Washington, DC. PLEASE make the trip, London and Washington are two great 'mast up' cruises to world capital cities with amazing waterfronts. The recent 2B+ Wharf in DC includes Michelin starred restaurants, galleries, shops, and more. The 100nm mile cruise up the river is beautiful with history (and great fishing) as well as amazing sights. I am the OCC Port Officer, SSCA Cruising Station, and Harbor Host for AGLCA. Come visit! Plan to spend a week but stay 2 or 3 as most do. We have an anchorage, moorings, and several marinas. Capital Yacht Club (where we are) is especially welcoming to visiting boaters!
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2020, 16:23   #85
CLOD

Boat: none

Even though I started this thread and then listed more by far than anyone, I still know some not even mentioned yet. Are local sailors/power boaters/ weekend cruisers not getting atound their local areas to have mre recommendations? Maybe time to take a lesson from whoever writes the awaterway Guide location reviews, they can make any sh*thole worth travel on a beat in nasty weather worth doing.
Old 21-12-2020, 18:36   #86

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thlamers View Post
Probably the second oldest historic spot in the US is Damariscotta Island just offshore of the river by the same name. Tiny hole in the wall harbor with a narrow entrance. Was a fish camp back to the days of the the earliest Europeans in North America. Pilgrims in Plymouth went here to procure fish during their starving times. Whole island is now in Nature Conservancy. Very easy to visualize it attractivness to the fishermen.

I think you mean Damariscove Island?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_08_07_0005_n.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	419.4 KB
ID:	229117  
Old 21-12-2020, 20:35   #87

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Even though I started this thread and then listed more by far than anyone, I still know some not even mentioned yet. Are local sailors/power boaters/ weekend cruisers not getting atound their local areas to have mre recommendations? Maybe time to take a lesson from whoever writes the awaterway Guide location reviews, they can make any sh*thole worth travel on a beat in nasty weather worth doing.
LOL. Hahsh. [If you look carefully at mine, they are primarily nearby alternatives to the places you listed. I only chose spots in Mass. and southern Maine where I'd been in the past few months. ]
Old 21-12-2020, 21:21   #88

If one is into hiking, mushroom picking, etc. Sommes Sound at Acadia National Park is a great rest stop. We did a Mt. Cadillac hike and found the views from the top spectacular and very similar to Caribbean Islands views. Probably the only "Caribbean islands like" views in New England.

Also, on the way from Boston to Portland Cape Elizabeth has a nice petrified forest beach where you can walk on millions years old slabs of ancient forest. Don't recall the name of the anchorage but it was about a mile or two hike to that beach, with really picture perfect views of the Two Lighthouses, etc.

Both places can get a bit touristy from 4th of July until Labor Day but not too bad compared to the really touristy Salem or P-town.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 05:44   #89

Quote:
Since this post is not "just for you" per our earlier pm, maybe you could include some that you know of to help the rest of us? Yeah! Do that
KellyMarcena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2020, 06:24   #90
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarcena View Post
Since this post is not "just for you" per our earlier pm, maybe you could include some that you know of to help the rest of us? Yeah! Do that
I did, see post 5. But here a couple, but may have listed before.

Battleship Cove in Falls River Ma - don't get more protected than having a battleship block the weather

Hurricane Hole Maine - exciting to get into, quiet

Tags
east coast