Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2022, 07:21   #1

Bermuda to Stuart FL next week

Hello Folks - I'm planning a sail starting late next week to go from Bermuda to Stuart / Port St Lucie on a Beneteau Oceanus 45. 57 HP Yanmar, draft is 7.7 ft. It looks to be a 7 - 9 day trip.

1. It holds 53 gallons of diesel, according to prior owner the consumes .8 gallons per hour at 1800 rpm. This add up to about 66 hours of run time, so we clearly need to mostly sail. We are looking at getting as much jerry cans to strap on deck as can be found. The weather looks favorable for departing Friday, with a stop somewhere around Marsh Harbour to refuel. Any advice or thoughts about this fuel situation?

2. Any concerns about Marsh Harbour with the 7.7 ft draft, things look good on Navionics but I don't know if the hurricanes a few years back have changed things.

3. We will be using Chris Parker to get a 5 - 10 day outlook prior to departing.

4. Any thoughts in addition to the fuel / route / weather planning?

TIA!
Snash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 07:37   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Bermuda to Stuart FL next week

Why all the concern over fuel? You are much faster and life aboard is much more pleasant under sail. Under any normal conditions your fuel supply is more than sufficient.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 08:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

7.7' is a bit iffy for Marsh Harbor...that's about as deep as it is there.......you may have to anchor outside the harbor entrance and dinghy in to get fuel.

Your entrance will most likely be at the Whale Cay passage. There is a new marina on Great Guana just to the left of Whale Cay ( from offshore), or go to Green Turtle Cay on the right side (from offshore of Whale Cay. As above, most likely need to anchor out and dinghy to the fuel dock.

The trip from Bermuda to the Abaco's is a crap shoot imo...I've had my ears clipped on that route...but who knows..this time of the year, weather can still be unpredictable.

7-9 days is a good estimate....

I wouldn't try a night entry though. There is a semi-submerged reef just outside Whale Cay passage.

Hope Town has a light house, supposedly visible from 20 nm offshore...but coming from Bermuda, I've never seen this light.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 08:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Why all the concern over fuel? You are much faster and life aboard is much more pleasant under sail. Under any normal conditions your fuel supply is more than sufficient.
Very true, there is only 1 thing more pleasant than sailing - sailing with peace of mind!

I may be overdoing it, but I've been out there when everything turns to sh*t.
Old 27-02-2022, 08:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snash22 View Post
Hello Folks - . . .

I don't know if the hurricanes a few years back have changed things.

TIA!
Dorian did changed things a bit . . .

Good that you ask about its current condition.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 09:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Abaco's got smashed by Dorian....no doubt.....but is slowly springing back to life...
Old 27-02-2022, 09:43   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Its about 860 miles, so I would plan on 6 days at 6 knots. Looking at Windy, there is a frequent ridge on the direct route, so I would drop south first to get mostly easterlies. Friday is looking pretty good, but long term forecasts change, so keep watching the weather. Tis still the season for fronts, and you really don't want to cross the gulf stream in a northerly.

You will burn about 1 gph at 6 knots, and have 45 useable gallons for a 270 mile range. My best guess is that you will motor for less than 24 hours.

I would not plan on Marsh Harbor unless you have burned through all our fuel by then. Its going to cost you 24 hours and $300 plus the fuel plus any covid requirements. If you don't have offshore coms, spend the money on an Inreach instead of a stop in the Bahamas.

I'm not sure what the CBP situation is at Stuart. I assume you have the ROAM app and your customs decal for 2022.

Have a great sail!
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 11:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
7.7' is a bit iffy for Marsh Harbor...that's about as deep as it is there.......you may have to anchor outside the harbor entrance and dinghy in to get fuel.

Your entrance will most likely be at the Whale Cay passage. There is a new marina on Great Guana just to the left of Whale Cay ( from offshore), or go to Green Turtle Cay on the right side (from offshore of Whale Cay. As above, most likely need to anchor out and dinghy to the fuel dock.

The trip from Bermuda to the Abaco's is a crap shoot imo...I've had my ears clipped on that route...but who knows..this time of the year, weather can still be unpredictable.

7-9 days is a good estimate....

I wouldn't try a night entry though. There is a semi-submerged reef just outside Whale Cay passage.

Hope Town has a light house, supposedly visible from 20 nm offshore...but coming from Bermuda, I've never seen this light.
Thanks much for this guidance! I'll look into those marinas as well.
Old 27-02-2022, 11:56   #9
Marine Service Provider

Twice, I experienced the worst weather of my sailing career about 300 miles south of Bermuda. Was headed back to Florida.
No rhyme nor reason for the bad weather that I could tell.
The third time, I was blown 100 miles off course to the east.
Hence re-routed to the Abaco's.
Have left in April, May and July.

I think most weather forecasts are good for about 2 days....after that, it's anybody's guess.

If you are not in a rush, the B'mas affords you a slow amble back. Stuart is slightly north of the Abaco's. Just head due west from the Abaco's and Gulf Stream will take care of the northing.
Old 27-02-2022, 11:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Its about 860 miles, so I would plan on 6 days at 6 knots. Looking at Windy, there is a frequent ridge on the direct route, so I would drop south first to get mostly easterlies. Friday is looking pretty good, but long term forecasts change, so keep watching the weather. Tis still the season for fronts, and you really don't want to cross the gulf stream in a northerly.

You will burn about 1 gph at 6 knots, and have 45 useable gallons for a 270 mile range. My best guess is that you will motor for less than 24 hours.

I would not plan on Marsh Harbor unless you have burned through all our fuel by then. Its going to cost you 24 hours and $300 plus the fuel plus any covid requirements. If you don't have offshore coms, spend the money on an Inreach instead of a stop in the Bahamas.

I'm not sure what the CBP situation is at Stuart. I assume you have the ROAM app and your customs decal for 2022.

Have a great sail!
Great info, thanks!

Tags
Bermuda