Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2014, 22:13   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Bermuda Pump Out?

Will I be able to get my holding tank pumped out in St. George's? I've not seen any mention of this in the visitors information website. Pretty important topic, I'd think.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 00:52   #2
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'
Re: Bermuda pump out?

We were there in 2012 and I don't remember seeing one. We anchored just off the Customs dock. I would advise emptying your tank well offshore before arrival. If you don't have a way to pump out your tank offshore I strongly advise you to put one in before leaving for long range cruising. Restrictions lots of places but no where to actually pump out. Bit of a rude awakening really.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 06:40   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Bermuda doesn't require pump-out. Contentious point, even amongst us locals.
Old 26-05-2014, 08:30   #4
KDH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurian 42'

Some cruisers never use their holding tank. I consider it to be good form not to flush into local waters, especially where they are inside a reef! To me it doesn't matter that it isn't required. Anyone who has experienced the cess pool like qualities of the inner lagoon at St. Martin knows what I am talking about. It takes little effort for the few days when the boat is in Bermuda enroute to somewhere else, to use the tank and empty it when again in deep waters far offshore.
KDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 08:32   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I'll empty my tank when still offshore but what do they expect you to do once your tank is full in harbor? Kind of ridiculous to expect us to clear customs, head 12 miles offshore to empty a holding tank, then re-enter the harbor. Is this their way of keeping visitors from staying too long? Perhaps it's a good reason to visit Hamilton, this way you can empty your tank en route. I wonder what others have done?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2014, 10:13   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Bermuda Pump Out?

No-one will require you go 12 miles offshore and empty a tank after clearing Customs.

While we are well aware of increasing global pollution, there are no stagnant anchorages in Bermuda. Come, and enjoy the island .

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda