Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 16:55   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Belize Cruising Fees ?

I was just viewing the Moorings web site, Belize section. Found the following fees: "sport fishing license. The fees are US$25 per week", "There are marine park fees in effect in large parts of our cruising grounds and a flat rate of $10 USD per person per day". Seems that this would prevent the average cruiser from visiting Belize. Are these fees currently in effect? Enforced? If so, they would make the Bahamas a bargain. Thanks
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 18:28   #2

Boat: hunter 28.5
Check noonsite.com

captainpauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You could ask the authority having jurisdiction:
The Belize Port Authority
120 North Front Street, P.O. Box 633
Belize City, Belize
Tel: 501-223-0714, or 501-223-0716
Fax: 501-223-0710
Email: info@portauthority.bz.

FWIW, Noonsite says:
Noonsite: Belize
“There is a visa charge of US$25, extensions US$5. The navigation charge is calculated per ton. There is an exit fee of $3.75 US.
Fees are charged for sailing in the marine parks, the eight of which cover most of the water inside the barrier reef. These vary from 5 to $10 US per person, per day.”

See also the very informative SaltySailors guidance:
Here ➥ Belize

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:16   #4

THANKS
Old 08-06-2010, 10:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbanker View Post
I was just viewing the Moorings web site, Belize section. Found the following fees: "sport fishing license. The fees are US$25 per week", "There are marine park fees in effect in large parts of our cruising grounds and a flat rate of $10 USD per person per day". Seems that this would prevent the average cruiser from visiting Belize. Are these fees currently in effect? Enforced? If so, they would make the Bahamas a bargain. Thanks
Allow me to have a cynical moment.

An average cruiser spends perhaps >$70K on a boat, not flinching while buying a lot of super expensive items such as a watermaker, electric windlass, etc. Goes on a cruise, and in doing so is not earning perhaps hundreds of bucks a day.

And then is paused (prevented) by spending $25 on a license, or $10/day some other areas? That's goofy.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:06   #6

$10/day per person x 2 = $600/month. Plus $25/week x 2 for fishing licensees = $200/month. Total of $800/month. Maybe that's not a lot of money in Uruguay but it does give me pause when considering a several month cruise through Belize.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:18   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The "Park" fees in Belize are sometimes collected and sometimes not. The fees do not apply to all of Belize, there are lots and lots and lots of areas that are totally free. Here is just one post on our web site that covers our trip through Belize, Voyages of Sea Trek: 16. Wandering Through Belize .
There are a total of three post that cover our trip through. Additional posts are 14 and 15. Hope this helps.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:39   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Total of $800/month. Maybe that's not a lot of money in Uruguay but it does give me pause when considering a several month cruise through Belize.
A pause?! It gives me a total friggin STOP!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:35   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
$10/day per person x 2 = $600/month. Plus $25/week x 2 for fishing licensees = $200/month. Total of $800/month. Maybe that's not a lot of money in Uruguay but it does give me pause when considering a several month cruise through Belize.
That might be correct if you paid for every day your in the country but you only pay when you anchor in the borders of the "Park" which as I said is not the entire country and you can in fact spend a great deal of time and visit many places in Belize and never pay a dime. Belize is actually one of the least expensive countries to check into in the Caribbean. We did in fact pay ONCE in the entire time we were there and then ask the "Ranger" what would happen if we did not pay. he stated he could not really do anything and would just have to go away. We paid him. No one complains paying the $300.00 check-in for the Bahamas.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:48   #10

Come on guys, let's loose the death grip on the wallet. If you are poor, you are not cruising right now, you are working

If you are cruising but are not rich, you should't complain about countries poorer than yours making a buck to preserve their treasures.

Just try to see how much money you'll spend in week on Europe, just in museum fees. And I don't hear anyone talking about highway robbery in the Louvre

And I'm a working person, not rich by any means. Not cruising yet...
Old 09-06-2010, 13:27   #11

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
Allow me to have a cynical moment.

An average cruiser spends perhaps >$70K on a boat, not flinching while buying a lot of super expensive items such as a watermaker, electric windlass, etc. Goes on a cruise, and in doing so is not earning perhaps hundreds of bucks a day.

And then is paused (prevented) by spending $25 on a license, or $10/day some other areas? That's goofy.
No. When I am preparing the boat I have an income. When I leave I don't. There are a number of places I would now avoid rather than blow the budget on these taxes.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 13:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
No one complains paying the $300.00 check-in for the Bahamas.
Yes they do

Old 09-06-2010, 13:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity View Post
There are a number of places I would now avoid rather than blow the budget on these taxes.
So you think is unfair that other country, whose people paid with their taxes services such as preservation, security, harbors, and facilities, ask for a meager fee for each day in a paradise? You could join the 1000-days guy drifting for free on the high seas
Old 09-06-2010, 17:55   #14

Waterwayguy, enjoyed reading your Blog. Thanks for pointing me towards the Belize information.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
So you think is unfair that other country, whose people paid with their taxes services such as preservation, security, harbors, and facilities, ask for a meager fee for each day in a paradise? You could join the 1000-days guy drifting for free on the high seas
What's meagre to you may be a significant percentage of someone else's budget, or do you think only "wealthy" people should be allowed to go cruising.

Most of those facilities we don't use. Those we do use we pay for , (think what percentage of your marina rent goes on to govt in taxes).

If you had been around a bit longer you would know that some of these charges have multiplied many times over in recent years.

Yes, they are allowed to charge, and I am allowed to bypass them.

Tags
Belize, fees