Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 05:16   #151
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20
Re: Belize Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
A bad grounding can rattle your cage for sure, but always best to conquer a fear...and not the other way round...you will be glad you did. Lesson learned: dont transit where waves are breaking! [emoji1]

If you look at my Western Carib Cruising Notes (also on Amazon), there is a summary of all the cruising guides for the area. Fortunately, there are some excellent ones to guide you along.

Cuba. I dont cover Cuba in my notes, but Nigel Calder's aging guide to Cuba is quite good for navigation at least. Just be aware that the area around Isla Parasio was rearranged by a hurricane...not sure if more current charts have been updated.

Belize. Follow Freya Rauchers guide in Belize and you will be fine. I saw some rubbish posted about it being inaccurate recently -- complete rubbish...ignore the noise. My Notes are supplemental to her guide and hopefully add some worthwhile info.
Thanks. Yes, I read about the guides and I have all those suggested. There is a new Waterway Guide to Cuba for 2018 that I have which is quite detailed.

I saw one of you pics of that ketch up against the reef in San Pedro, maybe (?). THAT'S what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid we won't see something or read something correctly. I know I've got to get over it, but it's just so hard. We'll be trying to find a buddy boat, both in Cuba and over to Isla Mujeres and down. Strength in numbers as they say.

Thanks for the advice.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:09   #152

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post
Thanks. Yes, I read about the guides and I have all those suggested. There is a new Waterway Guide to Cuba for 2018 that I have which is quite detailed.

I saw one of you pics of that ketch up against the reef in San Pedro, maybe (?). THAT'S what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid we won't see something or read something correctly. I know I've got to get over it, but it's just so hard. We'll be trying to find a buddy boat, both in Cuba and over to Isla Mujeres and down. Strength in numbers as they say.

Thanks for the advice.
Yes, that pic is at San Pedro pass. Thats not the first time boats have been lost there. Its got 1 local mark as reference, has a sharp bend in it, and is a fair weather entrance only. And, if you get it wrong, its likely to be catastrophic. Besides, I dont like the anchorage or San Pedro (however, Im in the minority).

Thus my recommendation to use Eastern Channel: super easy pass.

Once well inside the cut at Eastern Channel, most cruising boats (other than extremely deep draft) can exit the channel onto the flats and dont need to follow the entire length of the winding channel.

Even many electronic charts (like Navionics) are accurate around the Eastern Channel/Belize City area because it has been recently surveyed due to commercial traffic. Dont trust electronic charts anywhere else in Belize (except maybe Placencia due to new surveys in preparation for cruise ships [emoji26] ).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:28   #153

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptsWife View Post

Thanks for the advice.
There's really no reason to use that pass, it's goofy in the best of times. just a little further south is also the submerged section of reef at the north end of long cay. It's easy enough to hop in there, anchor for the night @ long cay, then under the Q flag make your way through portostuck in the morning to belize city to clear in. The route is clearly spelled out in Freya Rauschers book. Portostuck is only intimidating if you let it intimidate you.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:55   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
There's really no reason to use that pass, it's goofy in the best of times. just a little further south is also the submerged section of reef at the north end of long cay. It's easy enough to hop in there, anchor for the night @ long cay, then under the Q flag make your way through portostuck in the morning to belize city to clear in. The route is clearly spelled out in Freya Rauschers book. Portostuck is only intimidating if you let it intimidate you.
I think many get psyched out by Port O' Stucks repuation and allow themselves to be drawn toward the old light structure there...which of course is exactly where you dont want to be.

Go slow, very slow, follow Freya's route, and you will be fine. Good news is that if you do screw it up, and are going slow, its just an easy grounding...no big knarly reef there thats gonna really ruin your day...back off and try again.

You do have to also get thru Swallow Bogue after Port O Stuck to get to Belize City, but its not very challenging to negotiate...just gets shallow on the N end...and again no big knarly reef...just shoals.

Both are much less of a concern than San Pedro pass. However, either can be made more entertaining by meeting the sugar barges that use that route. [emoji44]

Or avoid it all by using Eastern Channel.
Old 13-04-2018, 03:38   #155
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I met Cheryl Barr last summer. She is working a brand new updated Cuba Cruising guide to be released soon.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:26   #156

Boat: Beneteau 324

We have a group chartering with Moorings for our first bareboat charter. We're coming from N. California where I own a store, and we thought about bringing some meat with us to cook on the cat. Are there restrictions on bringing raw meat products into Belize? Would they get confiscated at Customs?
keioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:35   #157

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by keioki View Post
We have a group chartering with Moorings for our first bareboat charter. We're coming from N. California where I own a store, and we thought about bringing some meat with us to cook on the cat. Are there restrictions on bringing raw meat products into Belize? Would they get confiscated at Customs?

Yes, the meat would be confiscated, and so would most other foods or agriculture-derived products. People eat in Belize, as elsewhere in the world, and you can buy what you want. You'll find much of it is imported from the US and you might not find exactly what you want, but in many cases local products will be fresher and better than what you buy in the US (especially US products sourced from factory farms that are laden with pesticides and antibiotics).
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:40   #158

We have a very good meat dept. is the reason I asked. I was going to bring steaks, burgers and chicken. Looks like that is now moot.
Old 21-01-2019, 10:51   #159

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
We have a very good meat dept. is the reason I asked. I was going to bring steaks, burgers and chicken. Looks like that is now moot.

Travel light, enjoy the local foods, and get to a restaurant when you can. Tourism is big and there's excellent food to be had in Belize, in many places (some are uninhabited except for fish camps). Just don't be in a rush because it will be ready when it's ready. Employees usually don't rush around and multi-task like in US urban restaurants. "go slow" is the happy way to be on vacation. BTW they are generally happy people and very proud of their country, it's natural resources -- and they appreciate tourists. We have been treated with warmth and friendliness there. Some things are just different -- if you show appreciation it will elicit their pride and warmth in spades.

PS -- don't judge a restaurant by it's exterior looks. We've eaten some great food at picnic tables in open shacks. Never got sick there. Everyone in tourist areas uses purified water for cooking and ice.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 11:29   #160

Quote:
Most countries will confiscate fresh meat, including Belize.

However, there is a special provision under Belizian law for importing a Thanksgiving turkey...along with a heft duty!

You wont be overwhelmed by the quality or selection of meat products in Belize. The Menonites produce the best dairy & beef, but even then its pretty basic stuff.

Take a look at their web site and maybe chat with them about a special order delivered to Moorings/Sunsail or Wallens Grocery.

http://www.runningwmeats.com/
Old 21-01-2019, 12:46   #161

Just thinking, I have gotten commercial vaccum bagged marinated meat products across borders before, but havnet tried in Belize. Problem in Belize is that even if you officially can, the decision may vary with which officer you draw....especially if hes hungry. [emoji16]
Old 21-01-2019, 13:39   #162

Quote:
Most countries will confiscate fresh meat, including Belize.

However, there is a special provision under Belizian law for importing a Thanksgiving turkey...along with a heft duty!

You wont be overwhelmed by the quality or selection of meat products in Belize. The Menonites produce the best dairy & beef, but even then its pretty basic stuff.

Take a look at their web site and maybe chat with them about a special order delivered to Moorings/Sunsail or Wallens Grocery.

Running W Meats
We'll look into this meat company. We've always gotten our meat into St. Maarten when we go there, so I thought I would ask.
Old 21-01-2019, 13:44   #163

Quote:
We'll look into this meat company. We've always gotten our meat into St. Maarten when we go there, so I thought I would ask.
You might get it into Belize and you might not. If you really want to give it a try then I would contact BAHA/Customs for an official answer. Moorings might also have ancecdotal experiences from their guests.

I think the official answer is you need a permit/inspection from BAHA, but official answers and practice dont correlate well in Belize.
Old 22-01-2019, 09:47   #164
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:
chat with them about a special order delivered to Moorings/Sunsail or Wallens Grocery.

Running W Meats
Sorry to say Wallens grocery is no more, only the hardware side is operating now BUT it is possible to get good steaks in Top Value and Sea and Sand (the old Mings) supermarkets in Placencia village and I believe Moorings bring meat in from Belize City
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 13:36   #165

We have three days in Placencia before we pick up our cat. We will check out these stores and see what we find.

Tags
Belize