Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 17:38   #16

Boat: Mark Smaalder's designed 32' cold-molded cutter
Bill & Eric,
thanks for the information. I'm trying to gather as much info as possible and it becomes a little overwelming at times.
I do have the 403 chart, found it yesterday in a book store of all places. In addition, the charts I have for Bermuda specify to stay well clear of the North,West, and South coasts, and to make landfall from the East. It states that if approaching from the North or NW, use the headings as you describe, however, if coming from the West, stay south of SW Breaker until parallel to to Gibbs Hill light before tacking to the NE along the east coast up to the Narrows and Town Cutinto St. Georges. This seems logical to me since making landfall in Bermuda is only a safety valve as I plan on turning south at 65 degrees. I appreciate the knowlege you share from your experience. 12 trips is quite an accomplishment.
scottmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 18:05   #17

Boat: amel super maramu 53 Kimberlite
bermuda harbor radio

when you get within VHF ch 16 range or if you have a SSb on board you are supposed to call Bermuda harbor radio.
their vhf goes out at least 100 miles and their Radar even further.
you check in with them and they will ask you a number of questions about your boat, your crew, your safety equipment ,and communications equipment. They will guide you into bermuda if necessary and provide emergency help if necessary. if you stop in Bermuda , drop by their headquarters, it is on the hill above St Georges. Visitors are always welcome.

when do you expect to pass by Bermuda?
fair winds,
eric

Tags
beaufort