Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2009, 09:17   #1

Barbados

Hi,
I am going to be going to Barbados in November and I am needing a place to stay near Bridgetown port. Any recomendations? What are some of the "must see" places?
Thanks.
duckwood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 11:58   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Barbados

Duckwood,
Although I've sailed into Barbados a few times (from Canaries, etc.) and of course stayed on-board......I've also flew into Barbados for business and stayed on shore....

1) My most recent business trip was a few years ago, and I stayed at the Savannah Hotel, in the Christ Church area......
It was a nice, clean, quiet hotel, and the staff was friendly...
Not much of a "tourist hotel" at all, more of a combination "quiet hotel" / business-traveler hotel.....
Untitled Document

I suggest you research comments by recent guests, on hotel/travel sites, since I've heard some have found the staff rude....

2) I haven't stayed at the Grand Barbados Hotel, in Bridgetown, but have heard good things about it....

3) If you're looking for longer-term lodging / apartments, I have three thoughts....
a) contcating local marinas, which will typically have on-shore lodging...or at least be able to recommend some....
b) in addition to contacting the Barbados dept of tourism, try their ministry of trade / commerce, as they'll have some recommendations for long-term business travelers....
c) also try contacting some other local business people, such as surf shops, dive shops, charter boat operators, etc. as they may also be of help....

Remember google is your friend....

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 03:23   #3

Boat: Columbia T-26
Are you sure you want to stay in Bridgetown. You can try mooring at the Yaht Club.. Think we have a few Ghost Moors out there. Loads of accomodation on the South Coast are ye looking for Budgit or Luxury ? If you have business in Bridgetown it's only a short distance from Port St. Charles even shorter from the Yaht Club. Definite things to see.. An Isalnd tour would be a starting point. You can book thease from a number of tour companies. Basically get Driven about while consuming large quantities of Rum. Regulation for entry has changed as well. You pay as you leave. One time fee $100 Barbados ($50 U.S) Rent a car and drive to Bathsheba (Fat Jacks car rental) unbelievable. Night life is on St.L. Gap Visit "The lighthouse Irish Pub"..I own it. Can fill ye in on the rest. Happy Cruising..
IrieSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 03:52   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieSailor View Post
Think we have a few Ghost Moors out there.

Hi

What is a Ghost Moor?

(I get scared in the dark!)

'
Are they like visitors moorings?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 03:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, IrieSailor.
Local Barbudian knowledge, and a Pub owner! I look forward to you participation.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 04:51   #6

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckwood98 View Post
Hi,
Any recomendations? What are some of the "must see" places?
Thanks.

I've stayed at the Accra a few times. It's a nice place but I haven't been there in a couple of years.

For things to do: on Friday night check out the Oisten's fish fry. It's a great "Island Style" party.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 14:52   #7

We are flying in on Friday before we sail on on the Royal Clipper on Saturday. Wanting to explore Friday evening and Saturday morning. Need a good place to stay that won't break the bank.
duckwood98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2009, 15:17   #8

I agree on Oistin's and your timing is good. Also Harrison's Cave.

Don't know about places to stay, but Barbados is beautiful. Bridgetown -not so much and the port even less. I would stay somewhere else.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 19:29   #9

Ghost Moors and places to stay

Sorry Did'nt mean to confuse ye. By Ghost moors I mean free Moors. There are alot of Moorings at the Club freed up as Club members have brought their boats into dry Dock. Just contact the Yacht Club in Barbados and tell them when your coming.Barbados Yacht Club: Welcome it helps if your a member of another club in your own country but it's not essential.This week we found a few engine blocks in the water so I think there going to be adding new moorings. A stunning place to stay and Owned by a freind (Fellow Cruiser) is "Little Arches Hotel" Located in Atlantic Shores faceing Miami Beach.Little Arches Hotel – a boutique hotel in Barbados offering affordable luxury. Or if your looking to Save a bit of Money but want the Ocean View. Another freind "Steve Cambell" Pub owner and freind to Surfers and Sailors alike owns some lovely self catering apartments on the South Coast not far from the Silver Sands Hotel you can contact him through facebook Look up "Surfers Cafe" there will be links to accomodation (You colud probably get away with dropping anchor right in front of his place fairly sandy behind the reef). Mentioned on another reply is the Accra Hotel this is close to the Yacht club and is a grand spot very close to all the action. Hope this gets you started.
Old 05-10-2009, 19:45   #10

Just got your post about saving some money. Well Steve would be your best bet if you want to Contact him by phone dial (01) 246-262-KITE.. from his place you can take a bus to Bridge town for $1. Your less than 5 min away from Oistins mentioned in another post as well. Just tell him the Owner of the Lighthouse Pub sent ye. If your coming in Early November. Theres a big Music festivall going on with acts from Europe, Austalia, and beyond it's a Rock/Alternative/Blues festival. Hosted and Promoted by the same fella with the accomodation.. Free tickets for sure..

Tags
Barbados