Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2021, 00:55   #16

Re: Baltimore to St. Michaels in a Day?

What fish did you catch with what bait? My 10 yr old would be interested id dropping a few lines in the water!
Djesterdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 01:03   #17

its a Ctalina 425 - my typo - sorry
Djesterdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:41   #18

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djesterdc View Post
What fish did you catch with what bait? My 10 yr old would be interested id dropping a few lines in the water!

We were trolling while on the move and we were targeting rockfish (aka strippers) with #0 Clarke spoons (silver or gold). Depending on your speed the spoons are good for many other fish including spanish mackerel, bluefish, etc.

At anchor in SM from a dinghy work the shallows w/flasher type casting lures for perch and small rockfish.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djesterdc View Post
its a Ctalina 425 - my typo - sorry

Still would take the longer route to get some sailing in, especially w/the 4' surveyed section in the N part of the KN channel.
Your mast height from the specs is 63.5', but what keel do you have (6'8" fin or 4'11' wing)?

Have a fun trip.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:59   #20

There is currently plenty of water in KN. That 4 foot spot is the absolute least depth surveyed and is all the way on the outside line of the channel.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:08   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
Chris. Hopefully it hasn’t taken akishpitate 12 years to get to SM

Hah! Good catch!

-Chris
Old 09-07-2021, 05:51   #22

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Hah! Good catch!

-Chris
wish I could spell amishpirate right the first time.. fat fingers typing on the phone...

DJ its gonna be a long day(6+ hours) sailing, or motoring if you go the long way all depends on the wind. at 33 miles if you average 6 knots

I figure you'd want winds out of the west or north to north east for a broad reach/run across the bay

out of the east could be do-able once you get past sparrows point/hog neck and can start turning south. but likely would be close reach on port tack all day long until you got to bloody point and cna make the turn into eastern bay

wind out out of the south...would make for a long day depending on how close to wind you can sail. i plugged it into navionics and with 8 tacks across the bay from hogs neck to bloody point light is 46 NM if you can average 7 knots that 6.5 hours.

based on the polars if you could get a 20knt wind and get set up on a broad reach and top out at 9kts. would be a quick and fun day... yee haw...

https://www.catalina42.org/specifications2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	241783  
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:21   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
wish I could spell amishpirate right the first time.. fat fingers typing on the phone...

DJ its gonna be a long day(6+ hours) sailing, or motoring if you go the long way all depends on the wind. at 33 miles if you average 6 knots

I figure you'd want winds out of the west or north to north east for a broad reach/run across the bay

out of the east could be do-able once you get past sparrows point/hog neck and can start turning south. but likely would be close reach on port tack all day long until you got to bloody point and cna make the turn into eastern bay

wind out out of the south...would make for a long day depending on how close to wind you can sail. i plugged it into navionics and with 8 tacks across the bay from hogs neck to bloody point light is 46 NM if you can average 7 knots that 6.5 hours.

based on the polars if you could get a 20knt wind and get set up on a broad reach and top out at 9kts. would be a quick and fun day... yee haw...

https://www.catalina42.org/specifications2

Very funny you fell into the same trap as Ranger did. DJ is coming out of RH, not Baltimore.
Don't disagree tacking would take longer but still doable for a 3 day weekend. DJ didn't say when they were planning to do the trip, but always good to check the winds, tide as well as weather conditions to make the trip more fun.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Very funny you fell into the same trap as Ranger did. DJ is coming out of RH, not Baltimore.
Don't disagree tacking would take longer but still doable for a 3 day weekend. DJ didn't say when they were planning to do the trip, but always good to check the winds, tide as well as weather conditions to make the trip more fun.

my first post was correct, mileage and such. the most recent one yeah I fell into the BM trap. id still want wind out of the north to west out of the east it would be calmer, but you'd end up with some wind shadow from land.
here is the modified navionic based ona wind form the south, based on a 45* tacking angle based on the polars RH- SM 6-7 tacks to get through the bay once in the eastern bay might get in a few more before you gotta fie up the beast.

42.5nm 6 hours @ 7 knots. not a bad day figured be all tied up and squared away around 5 with first G&T in your hand. if you left at 10,if the wind held, if nother went wrong. etc..

with favorable winds, you'd knock 10 miles off if you could hug the eastern shoreline
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	241786  
Old 09-07-2021, 08:09   #25

Don't use navionic software, but does it account for the typical tidal influence in relationship to the tacks?

For DJ. If you have a short weekend, on a Friday evening head to Whitehall Bay (outside of Annapolis) to anchor and then continue on to SM the next day. This cuts of ~14nm and would get you into SM earlier.
Old 09-07-2021, 09:55   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Don't use navionic software, but does it account for the typical tidal influence in relationship to the tacks?
I was just putting in waypoints based on a set wind direction and sailing at 45* to the true wind. nothing scientific, a spitball type of guesstimate more than anything. so to answer your question. No...

Tags
baltimore