Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2020, 14:39   #1

Boat: Hunter 420 Passage
Bahamas vs Grenada bareboat

Hello everyone,
We had planned and booked a March 2021 Leopard 48 in BVI but when their reopening requirements came out we cancelled.

Now we are looking at other destinations for same time window.

As background, we have charted bareboats in BVI 6 times as well as Baja and Tahiti. Usually the catamarans. Also owned and lived aboard our 42 foot mono for a couple years, so experienced enough that none of the standard charter destinations would be "over our head" I think fair to say.

On our list in the past has been Bahamas and Grenada, but also open to other options. We are bringing 3 other couples on their first charter, so BVI seemed like a great choice since it has such so many great options for any type of person. For instance, we would like snorkeling, scuba, beachside dining, maybe some shopping, and even options to berth at resorts. We would also like to limit sails to short distances relatively speaking.
HOWEVER, none of this is a requirement. I know Exumas can be more "remote" for instance. We are all young and everyone aboard is quite adventurous.

We would prefer to book through The Moorings.

Based on that, any recommendations, or discussion of the "flavor" of each destination?

Thanks!
doctorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 15:05   #2

Boat: J Boats J/46
Re: Bahamas vs Grenada bareboat

Having sailed in both places, they are both awesome but drastically different.

Grenada’s scuba diving is pretty epic. There is lots to explore on shore (local culture, rum shops, waterfalls, etc.). You will also get the tall mountains. Most of of the really awesome anchorages are pretty remote compared to BVI.

Bahamas is much easier sailing IMO, plus you get shallow water anchorages and white sand beaches.

Both places are awesome. Bahamas may be better for a week long bareboat party. Grenada is probably better for “real” sailing, cruising style.

You can see our posts about both places at www.sweetruca.com

Cheers!
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:41   #3

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

In todays context i would choose Bahamas.
Sailing in Grenada usually involves goig to the Grenadines. This is complicated right now due to covid.
If you choose Bahamas you do not have to change countries.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:43   #4

Thanks! These are really helpful responses. Appreciate the input!
Old 11-12-2020, 14:14   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I'm in the bahamas now. Very few boats here right now. It could be a great time to explore the usually crowded areas in relative quiet
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 14:24   #6

So now we are leaning to Bahamas.
I greatly appreciate the input.
I still haven't researched the area (cursory only).

So we were planning to charter through The Moorings.

I'm curious: Abacos vs Exumas base? We are looking at the typical 7 days charter.
From my cursory research Exumas seemed more up our alley, but appreciate others descriptions of the differences.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2020, 05:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorbill View Post
So now we are leaning to Bahamas.
I greatly appreciate the input.
I still haven't researched the area (cursory only).

So we were planning to charter through The Moorings.

I'm curious: Abacos vs Exumas base? We are looking at the typical 7 days charter.
From my cursory research Exumas seemed more up our alley, but appreciate others descriptions of the differences.

Thanks!
We just went through the abacos. It was nice, despite the damage from Dorian. Obviously they are still working to get things back to normal. So not a lot of cruisers.
We are now at the top of the exumas. (Did bottom up last season)
Just my personal opinion.. I prefer the exumas. The water is a little warmer, a little bluer, and more inviting. It's also easier to find secluded little beaches. But it is more crowded
Old 12-12-2020, 05:48   #8

We’ve done both and loved both. Admittedly I was not expecting to enjoy the Abacos as much as we did, maybe I had visions of Nassau and Cruise ships in my mind.

I’d say this, if you want more of a floating party in the most beautiful water ever, go Bahamas. If you want to more spirited sailing fun part, go there. We did a one way sail from St. Vincent to Grenada, that’s what I’d suggest if you are on the fence. When you are in the Tabago Keys make sure to get the lobster beach dinner from Captain Neil, it’s a hell of a fun evening!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:14   #9

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Keep in mind that there are very strict restrictions on entry in the Grenadines right now. Thanks to covid.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:28   #10

Bahamas for sure for diving, snorkeling, beaches etc.
But not so much for "beachside dining, maybe some shopping" or berths, unless you go to larger populated places.
However, there's not a ton of places in Grenada either. I guess in many ways they are similar when it comes to the "non nature " stuff. Are there even berths in Grenada at all?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 10:46   #11

Boat: Island Packet 350

Has Moorings re-opened in the Abacos?
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 11:36   #12

Moorings Nassau is running, saw several of their boats in Allen's cay the last 2 days.
In the abacos I only saw a smaller charter company running out of marsh harbor. Sorry I can't remember the name. They had 3 lagoons in the anchorage and we met another in hope town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorman7225 View Post
Has Moorings re-opened in the Abacos?
Old 12-12-2020, 11:50   #13

Boat: Beneteau 423

I can offer a very positive recommendation for Cruise Abacos. They are a great outfit run by a very nice couple. The boats are very well maintained and the Abacos are a terrific place to charter. We chartered a 44' Fountain Pajot. I can't say so much for Bahama Air. Two of us had bags not make our connection. (Always have a bathing suit and toothbrush and another essential or two in a carry on). Cruise Abacos made sure we didn't have to wait around for bags so after provisioning and our checkout we shoved off and they ran the bags out to us after they arrived.

The Exumas are of course a beautiful location but I don't think I would try a one week charter from Nassau to get the the Exumas. Its definitely doable but a day of iffy weather would cut out a lot of time.

Speaking of weather, if you do go for the Abacos, remember that they are quite far north so fronts you see rolling across southern Florida often impact the Abacos. The later in the season you go the better weather you will find. Our Abacos charter was the first week of April. We had one day of unsettled weather (cloudy and occasional rain showers) but otherwise it was perfect with lots of variety.

Harry
juno423.blogspot.com
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 14:14   #14

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

I’d choose the Grenadines. Fly into St Vincent and go south or fly into Grenada and go north. You have been to BVI or Bahamas you need to put the Grenadines on your bucket list. You will not be disappointed.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 15:22   #15

I have spent a week with the moorings in Abaco. I count it as one of my most boring sailing weeks. I mostly go to the BVI and really enjoy that area. For me the problem with the Abacos was it was sailing in the large inner bay and many areas were quite shallow. the good scuba diving was outside the bay in the reef area and boats were not allowed to go there. So for me, I would either go to the Exumas or to Grenada. I have no experience with either place.
the reason I often return to the BVI, is I make a good tour guide for my friends who are often on their first or second sailing trip. I have already paid the dumb tax and have a good idea where to go to keep my guests amused.
Either way, you will have a good time.
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bareboat, boat, Grenada