Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2022, 03:48   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Bahamas - Treasure Cay and Great Guana

We stopped at Treasure Cay for fuel. The channel is marked by poles and small red or green round reflectors. 32 gallons of diesel, $223 USD. A quick tour of what was the marina... all gone including the pool bar and townhomes. Private homes are all rebuilt.

Great Guana is in good shape. Grabbers and Nippers are open and with a lively crowd. Good food and Kaliks ($9.25 each) on the beach made for a memorable day.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 05:38   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Bahamas - Treasure Cay and Great Guana

I find the beer prices to be more offensive than the fuel prices. $9.25 for a beer is unacceptable.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 18:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
Great Guana is in good shape. Grabbers and Nippers are open and with a lively crowd. Good food and Kaliks ($9.25 each) on the beach made for a memorable day.
Holy crap! Any day I pay $9 for a beer is certainly going to be memorable, but NOT in a good way!

We are lucky to have a pretty robust cruising kitty. We keep it that way by NOT paying $9 for a beer!
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2022, 18:23   #4

Time to start brewing your own. Sad to hear that the resort up there is gone. Any other stops? Hope town? Green turtle?
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 04:59   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

$9 for a beer at an Bahamas out island restaurant is high, but not as high as it sounds. Beer in the Bahamas is expensive and I remember 5+ years ago a case of beer at the liquor store there at Great Guana was $70. If you wanted to make the trip over to marsh Harbor you could get a case for $45.
Old 26-05-2022, 05:41   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

We are at Marsh Harbour now. Kaliks we're $7 at Colors. A newly rebuilt restaurant overlooking the harbour. Lots of damaged buildings here. Lots of construction going on. Marinas are back in business. Many slips available. Mostly catamarans in the marinas. We are on anchor between Conch Harbour and Jib Room marinas. It's another beautiful day here in paradise.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 06:03   #7

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
$9 for a beer at an Bahamas out island restaurant is high, but not as high as it sounds. Beer in the Bahamas is expensive and I remember 5+ years ago a case of beer at the liquor store there at Great Guana was $70. If you wanted to make the trip over to marsh Harbor you could get a case for $45.
When I spent Winter '16/17 cruising the Exumas I took 17 cases of beer with me so that I wouldn't have to buy $50 cases of beer over there.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 06:43   #8

Boat: Planning an Island Packet for cruising/living aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
When I spent Winter '16/17 cruising the Exumas I took 17 cases of beer with me so that I wouldn't have to buy $50 cases of beer over there.
I’m 6 months from living the high live (buying my retirement cruising vessel) and 4+ months since I started living the Dry Life, without alcohol.

Sounds like my timing was pretty fortuitous. Gonna really help my budget.
Messing About is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 06:43   #9

Boat: Admiral 38 Executive

Just finished a 3 month tour of the Bahamas. Cases of Kalik ranged from $49 in George Town and Marsh Harbour to $70 on the out islands.
Average per Kalik cost at bars was generally $5 in the out islands, $6 everywhere else.
mojosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 06:48   #10
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
We are at Marsh Harbour now.
The sunk boats, and car, still in the harbor?
Old 26-05-2022, 07:08   #11

Boat: Admiral 38 Executive

There are a few sunk boats still in Marsh Harbour that are visible. I don’t know about any sunk cars. The anchorage is open and clear as far as I know.
Lots of cruisers coming and going and no one hit anything while we were there, so I’m guessing anything that was a danger has been removed. But that is just a guess.
mojosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 07:18   #12
CLOD

couldn't see the car, it was pretty much in the middle last year in April and marked with a float
Old 26-05-2022, 07:21   #13

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Harbour View Marina in Marsh Harbor reopened as yet ?
Troy and his mom were great.
Old 26-05-2022, 11:23   #14

Boat: Tartan 37

That diesel price isn’t too bad considering I paid about .50 cents less/gallon in Dinner Key a couple of weeks ago. I agree that the $9.00 for Kalik is ridiculous and will remember to pack as much beer as I can before I head over again. Although I do enjoy a Kalik Gold every now and then. Glad to hear about the rebuilding and hope to get back there next year and see for myself.
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2022, 12:31   #15

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

We spent a month in the out islands in the Abacos. The islands are rebuilding and looking good, however the tourist industry is hurting because the rental places are not available because construction workers are renting the finished cottages while they work on rebuilding second homes and other cottages. Cruisers are valuable in that we bring our own housing.

While the buildings and businesses are reopening, there is still a lot of trauma from the hurricane. All we had to do was ask a question and the survivors would just open up and unload story after story. That was heart wrenching.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas