Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2008, 19:47   #1

Boat: it doesn't have a sail so it doesn't count!
pirate Back to the VIs

After the responses about St Vincent and the Grenadines, she who must be obeyed wants to go back to the VI's. Any experience with Island Yachts in Red Hook? We're thinking about checking out the Spanish VI's and maybe St Croix rather than the BVIs.

Thanks,
craig in the soggy NW
NW Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 17:37   #2

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I do not believe Island Yachts allows their boats to be taken to St Croix.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 18:02   #3

Thanks, I've contacted them for more info. I can't find any reason not to use them but still have heard from anyone who has chartered with them....

thanks,
c
Old 21-01-2008, 02:45   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
My wife and I chartered from them for two weeks in 2004. Couldn't have been happier! We sailed to the BVI, St Thomas, St Croix, St John and would have gone to Culebra, but the wind wasn't right for that leg. Great people there and great boats (Island Packets)!

We did evetually get to Culebra and Vieques in our own boat in 2005. It's well worth the effort--very different from the "busy" Virgin Islands.
Old 22-01-2008, 08:49   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I stand corrected, Island Yachts does not have the St Croix restriction.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 13:30   #6

pirate

Thanks for the feedback, waiting for the contract.

it's cold and wet in Seattle, missing the warm water!

craig
Old 29-01-2008, 09:48   #7

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
I have not actually used Island Yachts but have used a slip directly across from their boats on B slip many times. Boats appear well maintained and the yacht maintenance people are very friendly and a couple are very cute to boot.

One thing you do need to know... Red Hook is a HORRIBLE Bay for boats. Normally you have both high waves and winds making entrance and exit a real adventure and you will have a bouncy night if you stay over night.

I would plan on getting out during the first available lower wind/ wave condition and avoiding coming back until similar conditions are present.

The harbor's dock side facilities are better than average and a reasonably stocked market is a block away. Don't plan on the marine parts place to have anything other than very standard stuff... but you do have a Budget Marine just down the street accessible by one of the serry Taxi's for a buck each way. Ask the marina people how to use them... they will generally respond to a simple flag down. You can get to Tutu Mall some distance away where the largest K-Mart is located that can for a far lower cost supply you with many supplies including many food items.... still only a buck a person each way.... and it is a great opportunity to see the Eastern end of the island... do not expect a smooth ride... it is more of an E-ticket at Disney.... hold on!!!

A great little anchorage very near by is Christmas Cove just past the Current Rocks between St. Thomas and Greater St. James.... good snorkeling area where 3 or 4 snorkel adventures boats bring in people for a couple of hours once or twice aday... after about 5 the bay is nice and quite except for the occasional ferry boat that passes the rocks and will rock your world... but still a very nice and FREE place to drop a hook. If your into hiking St. John has several interesting places.

While the sail To the Spanish VI can be fast.... it is a hard beat back.... plan on a full day if your crew isn't fast on the tacks.... and even then it is often a slow and wet process.

have fun!!