Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2020, 16:08   #16

Boat: Nauticat 43
Re: Atlantic crossing, U.S. weather reports, communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

I always wish them coders redesigned the way gribs are made so that we could get a we-fax-like front line drawn by the software. It should not be too difficult and would save us some headache.

The XyGrib file reader provides this.
Old 08-10-2020, 18:31   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Atlantic crossing, U.S. weather reports, communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I used the inReach weather for a passage. Called for 10-15kts and seas under 10. In reality, we had over 20 all day and appropriate sea state.

(...)

The point is, inReach pulls this data from gribs. So you would get into the same challenge with a large area grib and MaxSea or any other software.

BTW it is interesting that you got more weather than forecast. The same thing happened to us on our latest passage to the Azores. In result, we never made Azores. We were offered the option of sailing non-stop from Caribbean to Canary Islands. Something I always dreamt about and I am happy to know how it feels (so I do not feel tempted to do it again).

As a weather router, I have faced this problem many times (most recently last week on passage from Gibraltar to Canary Islands).

It is as if the models underestimated the wind force in many areas, and not just where the sea and land interplay but also where the water is open (e.g. passage from ABC to Mona).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, ports, weather