Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 08:47   #1

Boat: Ericson 27
Send a message via Skype™ to seadog2
Atlantic Crossing

Does anyone know the best route to the Med from South Florida? And when is the best time to leave? I would like to do this trip next year sometime. I'm thinking leaving Miami and head Northeast towards Bermuda and then a straight shot into the Med and onto France. Is this the best route or does anyone know of a better route? Thanks ahead of time for your replies.
seadog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 08:59   #2

Boat: Cabo Rico
Re: Atlantic Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
Does anyone know the best route to the Med from South Florida? And when is the best time to leave? I would like to do this trip next year sometime. I'm thinking leaving Miami and head Northeast towards Bermuda and then a straight shot into the Med and onto France. Is this the best route or does anyone know of a better route? Thanks ahead of time for your replies.
Jimmy Cornell's book says it is more common now for East Coast cruisers to go further North and not stop at Bermuda, thus catching the Westerlies of the higher lats.

From Florida I don't know. Bermuda might be a good stopping point, then Azores, then the med.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:19   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

I'd ride the gulf stream NNE, not stop in Bermuda, and make for the Azores, you should get Westerlies, but not guaranteed - you'll be ready for a rest. From there you should get a nice reach across into the Med.

If you try to do a straight line from Bermuda you will probably need a lot of fuel as you most likely will get either adverse or light winds. Have a look at the atlantic pilot charts.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 19:30   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Jimmy Cornell's book says it is more common now for East Coast cruisers to go further North and not stop at Bermuda, thus catching the Westerlies of the higher lats.

From Florida I don't know. Bermuda might be a good stopping point, then Azores, then the med.
I don't know what the route is - but you really need to buy Cornell's World Cruising Routes. It provides hundreds of nights of dreaming before you fall asleep.

Good Luck
Old 17-09-2011, 19:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I would pick late spring, well before hurricane season but hopefully after the risk of a cold front.

US - Bermuda - Azores - Gibraltar is nice and would break the trip up into nice parts, but you do run a high risk of hitting the Bermuda High with calms or contrary winds going this route. Leaving Bermuda almost certainly need to swing north to catch the westerlies.

If you can access GRIB files, like passageweather.com I would try to plan the route to go just far enough north to stay out of the Bermuda High. Hang somewhere from N FL to Charleston until you get a good window and westerlies to Bermuda and go. In Bermuda check the location of the high and how far north you have to go to stay out of the calm zone to plan the route to the Azores.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 18:43   #6

I agree with Palarran, Jimmy Cornell's book is great but always keep in mind that the weather patterns are changing some earlier and some later it is not as the weather is not exact.
Pagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 07:41   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Towards the Azores and you may, but do not have to, make the landfall. Then on to Gibraltar, the easy part. The West Indies pack leaves around late May / early June.

A long, not a too difficult voyage but there is quite a lot of cargo shipping on the first half, so, watch out.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 08:41   #8

Boat: private yacht always moving

If you stop in gibraltar dont forget to feed the monkeys.....it is worth the trip tot he top of the mountain in a taxi
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing