Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2023, 11:15   #1

Boat: Thomas Tugboat (self built) 20 ft
Anyone charter out of Nassau (Dream Yacht Charter) lately?

Has anyone sailed out of Palm Cay Marina on a DYC cat lately? I ask because we are booking a trip from there this Nov. My questions: The cat we have reserved is the FP Astrea 42. If anyone has seen or been on this cat lately, how good of shape is she in? Any comments on the marina, in general, that we might be able to take pre-emptive action on? I have read reviews on Trip Advisor that are split 50/50 on thumbs-up and thumbs-down experiences. Me, personally, have had great success with DYC on many charters. I just want to keep the streak alive. Any suggestions / feedback would be appreciated!
BThomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 07:10   #2

Re: Anyone charter out of Nassau (Dream Yacht Charter) lately?

I have done a handful of Exumas charters out of the DYC base there, the most recent being in late 2021 during the COVID. That trip involved a Bali 4.0 cat that I was doublehanding with a GF. It was the first time I'd ever had to call the tech support line because on our first morning after making the crossing to the Norman area, the rusty old windlass broke. Technically it turned, but the guide rail that funnels the chain into the locker snapped off. Without it, the chain when raising anchor would want to double wrap around the windlass and jam. We worked around that by idling forward in autopilot, she'd be on the windlass controller and I'd be hand guiding the chain away from doubling up. They didn't send any help, but had me three days later at Staniel Cay wait for a guy who I thought had ferried in or something and was going to replace it. No, it was just a resident SME there who confirmed that the windlass was indeed broken and it would need to be replaced. So we soldiered on in order to salvage the trip. No compensation at the end, and probably the next user got put onto something else.

I thought at least I'd bought some future good will with Dream, but my next trip in the BVIs, I lost one of the deck cushions overnight in what was then Invest 98-L (became Hurricane Nicole), and that BVI base whacked me my full $800 deposit. Not a Dream fan anymore.
BrianInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 12:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Remember when researching DYC for reviews online that you will ONLY see negative reviews from people who have not taken a bribe from DYC to not post a negative review. If you accept any kind of compensation from DYC for a bad charter experience, you sign a non-disclosure document prohibiting you and your crew from posting a negative review! Bad reviewers have told DYC to shove their bribe.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 08:37   #4

Boat: Thomas Tugboat (self built) 20 ft

Thanks for the replies! We are going forward and planning for the best AND the worst. I am going to stress to my crew of 20-somethings that "It's the crew and how they handle adversity" is what will make or break a successful charter. Stuff breaks. Weather happens. But negligence is totally unacceptable. I'm thinking of contacting the base prior to departure to see if the boat we have been assigned is even there and working. I have a list of the critical items (water maker, sails, anchor windlass, dinghy, etc.) that I am going to have them "check" before our arrival. For what that's even worth. Thanks again. I will post our details in Dec.
BThomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 15:00   #5

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Remember when researching DYC for reviews online that you will ONLY see negative reviews from people who have not taken a bribe from DYC to not post a negative review. If you accept any kind of compensation from DYC for a bad charter experience, you sign a non-disclosure document prohibiting you and your crew from posting a negative review! Bad reviewers have told DYC to shove their bribe.

well.
i believe i'd done 3-4 charters @ DYC's exumas base..none since the the covid days.. so maybe my feedback does not fit into "lately"

..was always bareboating.

my experiences were limited to a 46 ft bali(may have been their 48) and their flybridge lagoons (450 and 50)

they've *all* been relatively uneventful... which exactly what i want from on my my charter, frankly.

if anything.. the only complaint i can offer is it seems the person that comes to explain the boat..is always a frenchman speaking english too fast for me to understand.

(very thorough(always)....and friendly(always)...and sand i know that theyve 'forgotten more than i can ever hope to know about sailing and the boat.. but not helpful if i cant understand)

also...to get correct fees/discounts it (was) necessary to call and get a human on the phone...

umm..
that's all i got.

it is a charter company...
i go there to so i can visit a favorite place (the exumas)
i always got the boat i wanted... and no incorrect charges. i've never experiences (knock on wood) any if the charter games i've read about..

again, have not been back since they(bahamas) the started requiring the vaccine(i believe that may a;ready been rescinded)....so maybe my multiple positive experiences were mot "lately"..
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, nassau, yacht