Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 15:38   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Re: any other US citizens fly from Nassau to Cuba?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
And, certainly, get your constitutional legal advice from internet nobodies, who don't substantiate their opinions.
Hey, Gordo started it!
Old 22-02-2011, 15:42   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Any Other US Citizens Fly from Nassau to Cuba ?

Okay, can we please get this thread back on track . . . remember? . . . has anyone flown from Nassau to Havana?

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
Old 22-02-2011, 15:48   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, I am not exactly an 'internet nobody', but rather, a former professor of Constitutional Law and former president of one of the larger chapters of the Federalist Society (the cornerstone of what Hillary Clinton once called the "vast right-wing conspiracy"). My view is widely held among professionals who deal with our Constitution. It is not, alas, the law of the land, according to several stupid Supreme Court decisions. So don't get caught!
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I just love it when someone can back up their opinion like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
As soon as you tell us your real name, we can all Google your bio and then we will know that you are a "somebody". If you insist on remaining anonymous, you will remain a 'nobody'.
I’ll accept a former Professor of Constitutional Law’s advice regarding the Law of the Land.
Dockhead advises that travel to Cuba is against current US law.
Dockhead expressed an educated opinion, that this law is unconstitutional.
Nonetheless, his opinion has not been upheld, and has not been “backed up”.

I would not have refereed to Dockhead as an internet nobody, had I known of his professional expertise in this context. Even so, his opinion remains unsubstantiated.

FWIW: We are mostly all internet nobodies, whose opinions must stand on the presented evidence. This includes myself.
My apologies for any personal affront taken.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 04:55   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Sarasota to Havana Regatta Scrapped

Sarasota to Havana Regatta Scrapped

Once again the Sarasota to Havana race has been cancelled. The regatta has not been held since 1994. Over 184 boats had signed up for the regatta, which was to be held this May. However, the U.S. Treasury Department did not provide the Sarasota Yacht Club with the permits required to travel to Cuba by last Tuesday’s deadline.

More ➥ Sarasota to Havana Regatta Scrapped | Daily Sailing News from North American Sailor

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 06:10   #20

I haven't flown from Nassau, but in Montego Bay, there are several companies that specialize in travel to Cuba. The Cuban authorities stamp their visa on a piece of paper for Americans so that you won't have it in your passport when you fly home. I found the Cubans to be quite hospitable and would recommend going.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 06:43   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Okay, can we please get this thread back on track . . . remember? . . . has anyone flown from Nassau to Havana?

Thank you for your cooperation.

TaoJones
-YES,last winter about this same time i know 3 who flew from nassau to havana and spent 1 month in cuba driving rental car around and staying in different hotels/areas,,1 of the trevellers owns a sailboat and spoke to sailors he met,,most sailors were with buddy boats or part of a flotilla so their boats were never left unattended at anchor,,if you get grounded etc., the cuban coast guard will look for an opportunity to salvage your boat so one must be wary,,the govt also frowns upon ///////////////////////////'freeloaders" who anchor out and dont want to pay marinas,,also you must provide detailed daily plans to authorities of where your anchoring each night etc,,instead of just being issued a cruising permit and going whereever you like within the bahamas or BVIs for example,,and dont be surprised if your boarded by a cuban gunboat at 3am as one sailor related while he was anchored in a remote spot,,quite unnerving i would suspect and not normal procedure of most counties and the "victim" was left with the advice to stay in a marina,,cheers
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 08:40   #22

What are the odds that you are going to get caught? Very, very, very small. One in a million, maybe? Or one in two million?

Of course, if it turns out that you are the one...

My understanding is that the penalty is usually a fine of $5,000 to $10,000. A goodly amount of money, but not enough to send the average traveler into bankruptcy. On the other hand, the law allows for fines up to $250,000 and 10 years in prison. Again, what are the odds that you'd go to prison? Probably, pretty small. Probably.

Go if you want, but understand the risk that you are taking. Personally, I don't think it is worth it. Especially since there has been some movement recently and there is a possibility that travel to Cuba might be legalized in the not-too-distant future. It would really suck to go, get caught, get a stiff fine or even jail time, only to have the law changed a year or two later.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 09:17   #23

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I always find these discussions about travel to Cuba interesting and the reasons most give for their right to travel there without permission from the U.S. government. Self interest is usually the motivation that outweighs prohibitions for travel and a lack of understanding why these prohibitions are in place. Castro is a brutal dictator that nationalized all private enterprise, expropriated international holdings and eliminated Democracy as he destroyed the lives of hundreds of thousands of Cuban nationals and countless future generations. He has held his grip on the Cuban people for 52 years and has ruled by force and oppression and they are among the poorest people in the world. Any political dissent was quashed by death or lifetime imprisonment and things we take for granted as freedom of speech, right to a fair trial, right to gather in public assembly, illegal search and seizure were non-existent. But, Cuba is a beautiful island in the stream and therefore we are willing to overlook these things as inconsequential to satisfy our own selfish motives. I strongly support my Cuban friends who have lost everything and who subsequently have become great Americans who believe in the rights and the dignity of Man. Sometimes in life, you have to take a stand. Travel to Cuba? Really? Rognvald
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 11:10   #24

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

My take is a little different than Rognvald. I don't agree with US policy regarding Cuba or the laws and regulations that implement that policy. Those laws and regulations are those of my country for which I have been on the pointy end of a stick more than once. I'd like to go visit Cuba, and will go when it is legal. In the meantime I'll support those who move for a policy change.

The Sarasota-Havana race looked like it might happen this year, but alas not.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2011, 15:44   #25
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald
I always find these discussions about travel to Cuba interesting and the reasons most give for their right to travel there without permission from the U.S. government. Self interest is usually the motivation that outweighs prohibitions for travel and a lack of understanding why these prohibitions are in place. Castro is a brutal dictator that nationalized all private enterprise, expropriated international holdings and eliminated Democracy as he destroyed the lives of hundreds of thousands of Cuban nationals and countless future generations. He has held his grip on the Cuban people for 52 years and has ruled by force and oppression and they are among the poorest people in the world. Any political dissent was quashed by death or lifetime imprisonment and things we take for granted as freedom of speech, right to a fair trial, right to gather in public assembly, illegal search and seizure were non-existent. But, Cuba is a beautiful island in the stream and therefore we are willing to overlook these things as inconsequential to satisfy our own selfish motives. I strongly support my Cuban friends who have lost everything and who subsequently have become great Americans who believe in the rights and the dignity of Man. Sometimes in life, you have to take a stand. Travel to Cuba? Really? Rognvald
It's certainly one view of the situation that's for sure

Dave

Tags
Cuba, nassau