Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 16:50   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
Any good anchorages convenient to Manhattan?

Or mooring fields, for that matter. We're hoping to be able to explore a bit of manhattan either on the way up or down the east coat this year. We don't need to actually be in manhattan, just somewhere close to the train/ subway.
Active captain shows a couple of spots, but they all seem to suffer from a lack of dingy dock access.
Old 01-06-2013, 16:58   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Or mooring fields, for that matter. We're hoping to be able to explore a bit of manhattan either on the way up or down the east coat this year. We don't need to actually be in manhattan, just somewhere close to the train/ subway.
Active captain shows a couple of spots, but they all seem to suffer from a lack of dingy dock access.
I noticed a good anchorage up at Croton on Hudson which is a park. Check for rules and dinghy landing. The train station is right there.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 17:03   #3

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Any good anchorages convenient to Manhattan?

Port Washington on LI has a good deal on moorings
Take the LIRR into Manhatten.
Old 01-06-2013, 17:23   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The 79th Street Boat Basin on the Hudson has moorings, but I have no idea if they rent to transients--worth checking out. In the past I have anchored in either Atlantic Highlands or Great Kills to visit Manhattan, but the entire area was severely impacted by Sandy and I have no idea what is open and working in terms of marine facilities. Another option might be City Island--a little further away, but also a nicer place to be, and still with good access via public transport--again, Sandy damage may have changed everything.
Old 01-06-2013, 17:25   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

There are two possiblilities on the Hudson River. The free anchorage just south of the Statue of Liberty is ok, but it is a bad area and I wouldn't want to leave my dinghy on shore while I took the ferry over to Manhatten.

A better choice but it costs a few bucks is the mooring field at the 79th St boat basin on the Manhatten side. Moorings are about $30 per night (much cheaper than any marina in the area). You need a good dinghy to buck the current to get to the dinghy dock at the marina. From there transportation is easy- a subway station is a few blocks away.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 17:31   #6

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

79th St. Is your best bet, convenient, secure and the cheapest by far.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 19:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

Second Port Wash. There are multiple harbors on the Long Isl Sound with easy access to the rail into the city
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 20:10   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

79th St Basin as well... or for something totally different.

Check out Sandy Hook Bay Marina in NJ. Good place to provision as well.
There is a ferry that brings you right into the city and other transportation.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 22:38   #9

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Stayed at the 79th street basin last September... The swells are pretty strong in the area, but you can't beat the location. Central Park is just a 10 minute walk, and there is also a Trader Joes to provision. Loved that place!.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51   #10

Boat: Privilege 482
Thanks for all the info so far. 79th street basin was sounding good, then I read about the "no multihulls" and "max 40 ft" restrictions. We're a 48 foot cat, so I guess that won't work for us....
Old 02-06-2013, 05:56   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
Thanks for all the info so far. 79th street basin was sounding good, then I read about the "no multihulls" and "max 40 ft" restrictions. We're a 48 foot cat, so I guess that won't work for us....
You can anchor there I think. Check this thread out: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nyc-45709.html

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 13:55   #12

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

If you have a large cat, try the other NYC Parks and Rec marina at the Worlds Fair/ Shea Staddium in Queens. You can anchor in a totally protected area in front of the marina in 10 ft of water and use the dinghy dock and facilities for $30/day. !0 minute walk to the subway, 30 min to Times Square and 5 min to Main St Flushing for the best Asian food this side of Bankok. Very safe and access is 24 hr/day if you want to do the City.
79 th St is more spectacular, but we dragged in the mud last time we were there and we are too big for the mooring balls. You can anchor there but you will swing every six hours and the wind/current combo can be brutal and you must be about 200 ft from the seawall.
Enjoy.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:22   #13

We've stayed on a mooring at he Harlem Yacht Club at City Island - launch service is included. The club is low key and friendly and the area is safe. There's a frequent bus one block from the club that takes you to the subway in about 10 minutes.

City Island feels like a New England fishing village. Everything is walking distance and quite pretty.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:51   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club Municipal Marina at Atlantic Highlands, NJ is an excellent marina. It was heavily damaged by Sandy, but they are opening the mooring fields now, dock slips probably in mid June/July. 15 min to Lower NY Harbor/ Statue of Liberty. Yacht club provides launch service, they do have dinghy dock, but not sure if it is restored yet. Best part is access to NYC via high speed ferry, leaves from the marina 10x daily. A bus from AH to Wall St is a short walk from Marina. Taxi services are available for short ride to train station. AH is a nice little town, good eats abound.
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:10   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

79Th Street Boat Basin rocks!!!!!!!!

I had a truly wonderful 3 months last year at 79th Street Boat Basin and recommend it to anyone! Especially international cruisers!

The mooring field is restricted to monohull boats 40 feet and less and is $30 per night , pay 6 nights and you get the 7th for free

There is an anchorage at BOTH ends of the mooring field. Cats of all sizes use it.

The northern one is at 40° 47.623'N 73° 58.847'W Its a long way upstream from the dinghy dock and would not be flash at night for kids

The southern one is at 40° 47.035'N 73° 59.317'W directly in line with the outer dock. Very close to the marina. HOWEVER the marina staff say you are not allowed to anchor there. But you can!

Both anchorages use the dinghy dock in the boat basin but that costs $26 per day, no 7th day off. But you get to use the shower and the free laundry.

Theres lots of yellow transient moorings and the only time they may have been full was 4th of July (Is there a public holiday that day? )

The location is right in the West Side with trains going everywhere and busses going across town. Central Park is a walk away... well, everything in NYC is just a walk!

The moorings cant be booked. Its first come first served.

If you want to stay for as long as I did (3 months) when you arrive ask for a season mooring... its cheaper!

Its the Ducks Guts of the USA!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle