Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 17:16   #16

Re: Any good anchorages convenient to Manhattan?

Mark J is right about 79th street marina. Stop there once or twice a year and pick up a mooring or sometimes dock if my girlfriend is going to be on board and they have space. Mooring is nicer IMO better breeze and view. Great to people watch the folks in Riverside Park. Food Fair a few blocks away is a great place to provision. You can walk or cab it back to the Marina or hire one of the local guys outside who will cart you groceries back for a few bucks. Have seen boats anchor off in front of the marina as well as north and south of the mooring fields. Can be a good two to three knots of current sometimes so make sure you are set and as others have said it will reverse every six hours. Always lot's of fun stuff to see on the way up:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: ELECTRIC SAILBOAT CRUISE TO NEW YORK 2011 You might want to check how things are after superstorm Sandy hit last year. I'm hoping it took out the high tech dryer that took forever in the laundry area and replaced it with a more efficient unit. Another nice thing about 79th street is free laundry and free ice.

Across the river is Newport Marina. Dockage only, don't know if they take cats. Even more convenient to reprovision there. Five minute walk to a great grocery and a liquor store that's even open on Sunday. Great view of Manhattan and right next to a Path train station 20 minute ride to midtown. Little rocking during the day because of the ferries but, very peaceful at night. Got a nice picture of the view from the docks of Manhattan at the end of this post:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: SO MUCH FOR THAT!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:08   #17

Boat: Privilege 482

Thanks everyone! City Island and World's fair are looking good. Especially World's Fair as we may be there over Labor Day and that would put us at the doorstep of the US Open!

I'm sure we'll also hit the Liberty park anchorage as well, but it seems it's a two mile walk to the train/bus and that's a bit much for the 5 and 6 year old crew.....
Old 04-06-2013, 13:16   #18

Boat: none yet :(

You may find this useful as well ($40 per day, dinghy access and walking distance to Tribeca/West Village).

Moorings | Hudson River Park

Moorings | Hudson River Park
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 16:32   #19

Quick update: Seems there is no anchoring off of World' Fair Marina per the harbormaster there. Since all of the city run moorings are for either boats less than 40 feet and/or excluding catamarans, we're out of luck there too (79th street basin and Hudson River Park).

So it seems that City Island is about the only place where I know we'll be able to anchor. Sounds like a nice place, just a bit of a hike to get downtown on public transportation.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them!
Old 06-09-2013, 17:25   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Another vote for Port Washington/Manhasset Bay. Free moorings for 48 hrs, then you can anchor outside the mooring field in a much more protected bay than City Island. Then ride the LIRR into the city.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 17:39   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Laurent Giles Salar 40

Anchoring in the Shrewsbury River, between Sandy Hook and Highlands, NJ is also an option. Statue of Liberty is 8 mi north. Deep water, lee shores to the east and west. 5 ft strong tides, 3 kt current though, you'll need good ground tackle. 45 min High speed commuter ferry service from Highlands to Manhattan. You're welcome to park your dinghy at my dock, 1/4 mi from ferry terminal. Many shoreline restaurants. You can even shower at my dock if you need to become presentable to go out to eat. PM if interested.
Chris
chris07732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 17:54   #22

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
We've stayed on a mooring at he Harlem Yacht Club at City Island - launch service is included. The club is low key and friendly and the area is safe. There's a frequent bus one block from the club that takes you to the subway in about 10 minutes.

City Island feels like a New England fishing village. Everything is walking distance and quite pretty.
We did the Harlem Yacht club last year. The launch service only runs till 8:00 at night so if you plan on being back from the city after that take your own dinghy to the dinghy dock. It ran us about $10 pre day per person for transportation to the city and back ( 45 minutes to Central park area). We enjoyed City Island as well with neighborhood groceries and bakeries, as well as some good places to eat.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 21:37   #23

Boat: Beneteau 323
If you are going to Manhattan the W 79th St Basin is the place to be. It's an uncomfortable, rolly, mooring but the location and price second to none.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:41   #24

Don- Thanks for bringing that up again. I didn't realize the LIRR ran into Port Washington. That does seem a better option than City Island- only 45 minutes to Penn Station with service pretty much all day.

Chris- Sent you a PM, thanks much for the offer!

shanedennis- I agree 79th would be great, but they have a "no multihull" rule (utter boat discrimination silliness!)

Cheers- Matt
Old 07-09-2013, 06:25   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
shanedennis- I agree 79th would be great, but they have a "no multihull" rule (utter boat discrimination silliness!)

Cheers- Matt

Hi Matt,

You are incorrect.

Please read my post below that includes the line: There is an anchorage at BOTH ends of the mooring field. "Cats of all sizes use it."

I am not lying. Catamaramns up to 50 feet were anchored every day for the 3 months that I was there, sometimes only one, often up to four large catamarans or more.

I have even given you the exact lat and lon of the two anchorages.

The only reason why I stress my post is that the location is truly superb. and probably the best place I have visited in my 5 years cruising around the world.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
79Th Street Boat Basin rocks!!!!!!!!

I had a truly wonderful 3 months last year at 79th Street Boat Basin and recommend it to anyone! Especially international cruisers!

The mooring field is restricted to monohull boats 40 feet and less and is $30 per night , pay 6 nights and you get the 7th for free

There is an anchorage at BOTH ends of the mooring field. Cats of all sizes use it.

The northern one is at 40° 47.623'N 73° 58.847'W Its a long way upstream from the dinghy dock and would not be flash at night for kids

The southern one is at 40° 47.035'N 73° 59.317'W directly in line with the outer dock. Very close to the marina. HOWEVER the marina staff say you are not allowed to anchor there. But you can!

Both anchorages use the dinghy dock in the boat basin but that costs $26 per day, no 7th day off. But you get to use the shower and the free laundry.

Theres lots of yellow transient moorings and the only time they may have been full was 4th of July (Is there a public holiday that day? )

The location is right in the West Side with trains going everywhere and busses going across town. Central Park is a walk away... well, everything in NYC is just a walk!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:14   #26

Mark- I believe you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
HOWEVER the marina staff say you are not allowed to anchor there.
I think this is the issue. I'm being told by the staff that anchoring isn't permitted and that we can't use the dingy dock if we're not on a mooring. Not certain if this is just an attempt by them to get us to use their facilities or perhaps something has changed since you were there.

It is a great location and we may chance it for a couple of nights after we get done with our guests (but for them I need something that I know will work).
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47   #27

Boat: Beneteau 323
What a silly rule regarding multis! Multi are probably better suited to that mooring field than monos.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 16:36   #28

Boat: contessa 32

Well there are innumerable places to anchor around NYC! IF the real issues are getting ashore and having your dingy waiting for you afterward ,then 79th street stands out among the very few remaining.Mark J and others have said it well enough here so I need not elaborate.
There are 30 mile of good anchoring on the West bank of the Hudson that will give spectacular views of that iconic skyline all with excellent holding in 15-30 feet of water and I rarely have company day or night. The northernmost part will be long the imposing Pallisades park area with hiking /biking trails and a couple of boat basins where one can tie up a dingy or just along the shore here.At night one will not see a single light while under these fabulous cliffs while looking West; turn to the East and the greatest city on the planet is lit up and reflected across the waters that will surely be one of the most memorable evenings of any cruise. Nowadays Homeland security warns against anchoring too near any bridge,but it has been my experience that a few hundred yards separation will not cause any problem. Tidal currents can be quite strong around Manhattan especially in the East River with it's notorious Hells Gate , but there are dozens of places on the Brooklyn / Queens side that are out of the currents and traffic but are very industrial strength and with
very few palm trees. My favorite here is Hallots Cove with a calm waters and even a sandy beach to land your dingy and stretch your legs while waiting for a tide change.North of here the E. river opens up an currents ease as on approaches City Island with quite a few square miles to anchor in along both sides and if one has the proper Urban Explorer mindset there are a couple of uninhabited islands with decaying buildings from 2 centuries past that peek thru the overgrowth. This is the area of Rikers Island and this one IS occupied and the natives here are particularly unfriendly . A little further on is the somewhat quaint City Island with protected waters in which to anchor along with the large Hart Island ,abandoned and desolate, and inviting a trip ashore with its numerous abandoned pleasure craft.

So yes ,NYC is replete with places to anchor for the largest yachts,but to get ashore extreme resourcefulness will be required. In NYC that is often spelled $$$$$$.

I suspect most who want to visit are thinking of Breakfast at Tiffianys so the city run 79th street boat basin will provide that at low cost and trauma.

.................................love you all..................mike......................... .........
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:56   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
I suspect most who want to visit are thinking of Breakfast at Tiffianys....
Don't need that, just a good slice of pizza in the Village!
Old 13-07-2022, 18:41   #30

Boat: Trimarans!

Resurrecting a good old thread, since there doesn’t seem to be a new one.

I was told that the 79th St anchorage is closed until 2025. Any alternatives?

Why would no one mention the anchorages just east of Coney Island?
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle