Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 09:43   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Any advice sailing St. Croix to Vieques?

Hi all,

Planning a passage in late May between St. Croix and Vieques. Does anyone have any experience with this route? Any tips or advice?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 10:05   #2

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16m
Re: Any advice sailing St. Croix to Vieques?

Nothing much to worry about. It will be a broad reach or, at worst, a beam reach. Not sure where you are leaving from on St Croix but best point of arrival Vieques is Puerto Real at Eperanza. Good restaurants there.....

The seas can be a little rough depending on specific conditions but by end of May, the chances of a nor'easter bringing the seas round from the North are pretty slim and I have found 20 knots of East wind on a broad reach is about as good as it gets. Suggest that you stow Dinghy rather than towing behind. Should not be more than 6 hour sail in a Bene 40 - I sail the same area in a Bene 41.

If you are sailing back again, should be able to point high enough to make it in a single tack.
Telesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:23   #3

take a few minutes to review recent problems of dinghy theft in Esperanza Vieques on the Caribbean Safety and Security net site www.safetyandsecuritynet.com . just type vieques in the search box . you must LIFT and LOCK your dink at night, and even well secured dinghies have been taken from the dock .
seriousailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:46   #4

Seriousailor,

Thanks for the heads up! I think we'll adjust our route to Culebra. They do not seem to have the same problem.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:43   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Alyeska I think that is a wise plan. I only go to Vieques when I'm paid to do so and then I stay within site of the dinghy while others enjoy the spectacular Biobay. There are some nice beaches in Vieques but the recurring theft issues and few bad apples can't overcome the other wonderful citizens there for me. I love Culebra and go there whenever time permits. Not many downsides to Culebra and for a couple of bucks you can ride the ferry to Fajardo.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:26   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Pretty easy sale and I would not avoid Vieques because of the dinghy concern. I have been in Esperanza several times without any issue. I do lock the dinghy at the public and dilapidated dock, and always have a torch as there are missing and broken planks on this dock. Great restaurants there and good beaches. I think it's worth the trip and will go back. St Croix to there is 5 or 6 hours of nice sailing with a beam reach, maybe slightly broad reach. Seas are not really bad and easy but boring trip.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:57   #7

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyeska View Post
Seriousailor,

Thanks for the heads up! I think we'll adjust our route to Culebra. They do not seem to have the same problem.
Good choice. You will enjoy yourselves more here, and less chance of any local issues. Pull into the lagoon at Dewy. coming in, you will see mooring balls around the reef off your port side. You can also anchor in closer should you choose. Park the Dinghy at the Dinghy Dock Restaurant and no problem even if you are not eating there. Nice people. There is a sign over the bridge by the dinghy dock with a phone number to call and check in. No need to do anything else but make a phone call. If looking for a little adventure, I suggest Culebrita inlet for an overnight before heading back to STX. Hope you enjoy Culebra. It's one of our favorites. They take siesta every day from 2:00 pm until 5m. Everything closes. Stores, banks, schools.. Everything. A business owners sign on the corner of the bridge says it all about Culebra. "Open Some Days, Others Not". The only thing on Vieques worth a look IMO, is bio-luminescent bay. and only when there is no moon out.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:34   #8

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Stay away from the East End of the Island. It shoals and can get a very mean chop as the wind fetches on the lee shore.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 04:56   #9

Thanks all for the great feedback. Looking forward to making this passage!
Old 28-04-2017, 05:28   #10

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We keep our Beneteau 40 at St. Thomas and hit the SVIs every chance we get. If you have time, I would do both Vieques and Culebra. We hang our dinghy at night from the spinnaker halyard, tied and locked. If the winds clock south you may rock & roll on the south side of Vieques. Ensenada Honda at Culebra is super sheltered.

Here is a good thread on TTOL on the SVis.

Traveltalkonline: Sailing Information Requested For SVI & St Croix

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 07:01   #11

Boat: 1981 Ta Tong Cape Horn Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to gts1544

Be aware of the coral heads scattered from east of Culebra through southeast. Study your charts for a safe route to the buoyed channel into Ensenada Honda and take a good look at Google Earth for that area. We always enjoyed mooring in Dakity Harbor, just to the south as you enter the Honda. Great breeze and good protection. Only about a 15 minute dinghy ride to the Dinghy Dock Café and access to the town of Dewey. Also, the ferry ride between Dewey and Fajardo, PR, is only about $5 RT several times a day and there used to be shuttles that would take you to and from the ferry terminal in Farjardo to the nearby Super WalMart right next to West Marine.

Be aware that you must check into US Customs upon your arrival despite departing STX (USA) as STX is duty free and Culebra is not. The Customs office is in the airport terminal, a short walk from town. As another poster mentioned, you may be able to check in by phone. Enjoy as we have always loved Culebra.

Vieques has become quite the drug transit hub and should be visited with caution. My wife is Puerto Rican and in the know! George
gts1544 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing