Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 14:45   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Another Gulf Stream Thread

We are sitting in palm Beach waiting for a weather window. Not looking too good right now. SE 12-20 for the next week or so. Is it possible to cross from ft worth in a heavy cruising boat in those winds or too much of a slam-fest? If we headed to ft Lauderdale would that help?
Old 09-01-2013, 15:00   #2

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Re: another gulf stream thread

Where are you crossing to?
I crossed from Lake Worth one time, with zero wind and the ocean was like a lake. We motored to West End.
If I were you I would get down to the beginning of Biscayne Bay. If conditions are good S - SW winds, go for it. If not I would go down behind Rodrigues Key by Key Largo, and wait there. The further south you get, the easier it will be to be able to sail. In the stream, you will be steering 135 deg +/- make good 90 deg!
Just don't go with nw, n, or ne winds!
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:21   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Exactly. Head south down the ICW until the wind and/or the angle you want to make cooperate. I've left from as far down as Key Largo and had a beautiful sail up to Cat Key or Bimini. Watch out too for the crowd wisdumb there in Palm Beach. Some people spend all winter there waiting for the perfect weather window. Basically, the worst stretch is from the inlet to the center of the stream, and then it gets better from there on out if you are headed to West End, so you only need a stretch of six hours to get over the hump. I've left in the middle of the night when the wind dropped off even though the forecast was for a building wind the next day--by the time it built I was across the middle of the stream and making tracks for the Bahamas. Don't do what I did, but I once figured that out of the first 20 times I crossed the Stream 10 of them were in northers including the first run. It is not death in a norther, but it can be uncomfortable.
Old 09-01-2013, 15:42   #4

It's pretty typical. Hangs around NE12-20 for a couple weeks sometimes. Avoid crossing in 20 NE. the usual pattern is that eventually it will clock around to East, SE, West etc This occurs in a day or two, So be ready. As soon as the report says it's going to go west, go!
I dont think it's that it's impossible.... just pretty nasty with 20 knots of wind against 5 knots of current! Head down to Biscayne, it's a quick fun sail and the Baggs Park is great place to be while waiting! Better angle when you leave too. Most of my crossings have been fairly calm motoring both ways....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 15:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Curious as I am still planning my first crossing. The attached link seems to state that the Gulf Stream will have 4-6 seas.Marine Forecast | Weather Underground

Am I reading that right?

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:06   #6

I read it as 3-5 with some to 6. .... which isnt that much unless they are vertical! In the GS with NE winds they likely will be pretty vertical....
I't can also be flat or 10-12 footers! Some say SE winds are fine. I imagine they are for water state anyway.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 16:09   #7

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Reading that it is saying E to SE winds, which is too easterly from Palm Beach, and 4 to 6 foot seas. That will be right on the nose from there. Keep in mind that the seas do pile up in the Gulf Stream because of the wind against the current, so they will be shorter and steeper out there. That would be uncomfortable, but as you can see not killer seas.
Old 09-01-2013, 16:44   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

As Kettewell says, In a cruiseing boat it will be or could be a bit uncomfortable, but should be doable ! We have done it under the same conditions, both with our 42 Colvin, and in a Defever 44 . Both trips were not a problem, but did get a little bouncy! LOL but we never broke anything or even bruised ourselfs !! Have fun!!
Old 09-01-2013, 16:58   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Have crossed from ST Lucie Inlet and Lake Worth to West End in like condition's bumpy.Make a night crossing wind's subside's some and center of stream lay's down a bit.Mostly a motor boat ride keep the main up reefed to conditions will take some of the roll out also will give you a little push.
Safe sailing
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:28   #10

Boat: Cape Dory

Snore - I don't see that as a Gulf Stream specific forecast. I see 3-5' forecast for coastal waters which will include the stream. I think it is wise to figure that the center of the gulf stream will usually be sloppier than the surrounding waters and possibly higher and steeper (certainly in opposing winds). I would look at some other forecast sources as well.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 18:35   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

You did not say where in the Bahamas you are heading. That makes a big difference!

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:35   #12

Boat: Looking for a new boat

So sorry guys, heading to the West End. Sometimes I'm just too in my head. And the forecast is for SE not NE winds. So no wind vs current situation here. Just wind and chop vs boat, and more importantly seasick crew
Old 10-01-2013, 05:03   #13
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Friday Night says 2-4 ft seas-- Good luck & fun !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:20   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
So sorry guys, heading to the West End. Sometimes I'm just too in my head. And the forecast is for SE not NE winds. So no wind vs current situation here. Just wind and chop vs boat, and more importantly seasick crew
Considering your Cal is a bit light, based on Passage Weather's projections for the next few days, if I were you I'd run down to Ft. Lauderdale and then head over about an hour or so before sun-up Saturday steering at about 70 degrees true. The waves should be in the 1 meter range from the southeast and winds in the 15 knot range then. The stream should be about dead north at that time averaging about 2-1/2 knots until you're about 30-40 miles off the coast so you should be through within 6-8 hours and it should be pretty fair sailing from then on. Ft. Lauderdale to West End is about 70 miles so you should be able to make it in less than 12 hours considering the lift from the stream. Good Luck!
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 13:15   #15

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Another Gulf Stream Thread

From Lake Worth I would not go, but in those conditions I would go from Fort Lauderdale (or further south) to West End without hesitation. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote