Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2012, 08:33   #1

Boat: Tom Gilmer designed "Blue Moon"
Send a message via AIM to UnlikelyVoyager
Anchorages on Long Island Sound ?

Hi there... I couple years ago, I sailed my 23' wooden yawl from the west coast of FL up to Huntington NY. The best part of the trip, IMHO, was anchoring out most every night, sometimes in pretty isolated anchorages.

Last summer, I mainly worked on my boat, and did some overnights in the Huntington area, which has some really nice anchorages (though you can't call them 'isolated'!)

This summer, I'd like to explore further afield in Long Island Sound. Basically, from City Island to Nantucket. But I'm having a hard time figuring out where its possible to anchor out, rather than stay in a marina or rent a mooring.

Are there any good places to anchor left? Any recommendations or favorite spots?

Thanks in advance for any specific ideas.

Check out my blog: UnlikelyBoatBuilder.com
UnlikelyVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 09:08   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Anchorages on Long Island Sound?

Hundreds of places to anchor, all over LI Sound. Some harbors may be restricted due to the large number of moorings leaving just enough room for a channel but that is fairly rare. Also some places like Salt Pond on Block Island will be really crowded, especially weekends and a few places cover up the best parts of the harbor with moorings forcing you to pay or anchor further away or in a less desirable area.

But that still leaves lots and lots and lots of places. You could spend the whole summer around eastern LI, Narragansett Bay, Martha's Vineyard, the CT shore and never stay two nights in the same place.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 09:15   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

UnlikelyVoyager,

Your in some of the best cruising grounds on the planet. There are hundreds of places to anchor in Long Island Sound.
Interactive Cruising Guidebook
www.activecaptain.com
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 09:30   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423

Get into the Shelter Island area. We just finished a wonderful week there. We were coming from Newport. Our anchorages were -

Mystic CT (we were luck to be able to stay at a friends yacht club pier, but you should head up the mystic and try to moore up by the museum. Dockage is a little pricey but it does give everyone on board admission to the museum if you choose that route. Other wise a nice anchorage is off of Mason's Island. It is a long dinghy ride from there. We also considered staying in Stonington. Also consider West Harbor on Fishers Island)

Coechles Harbor - Beautiful area. It is a little dicey getting in at low tide (dredged to 8') but I assume you don't draw much.

Greenport - This was a touch and go for us to pick up a passenger, but it looked like a good place to pick up provisions. No anchorages though Mitchell Park Marina had dockage for $2/foot overnight and $1/ for the day until 10PM. They also have free pump out at their dock. We considered trying to rent a car and do the vineyards on the North Shore but time didn't allow that this trip.

West End Harbor - This was too shallow for us with low tide and a SW wind of 15 blowing is in, but with high tide and not so much breeze we'll try it next time.

Smith's Cove - Stayed here instead of West End Harbor. The next day we went to Sag Harbor and anchored outside. We took the dinghy in for a few hours and poked around.

Robin's Island - Fine as long as no strong northerly's. If wind from the north, try Cutchoque Harbor. There are some cute creeks but there is a lot of shoaling at the entrance. We explored the creeks by dinghy.

Block Island RI - We had wind and current in our favor and made it from Robin's Island to BI via Greenport Island very good time.

During the day the seabreeze often didn't come until 2 or 3 but near the summer solstice we were able to sail late. There was beautiful sailing around Noyack Bay and Little Peconic. Time didn't allow us to get into Great Peconic but it looked lovely too.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 10:27   #5

Re: Anchorages on Long Island Sound ?

Okay, 100s of places sounds encouraging... I've been reading some guide books, including the latest version of "Cruising Guide to the Northeast Coast", and was starting to get discouraged, since it sounded like all the good anchorages were filled with moorings, as is largely true here in Huntington Harbor.

I guess what I need is specific ideas just to get started. I'm sure I'll find a bunch of great places once I get going. So I appreciate the specific recommendations above.

Old 13-06-2012, 12:15   #6

Community Sponsor

Here is my over view chart just to give you an idea of all the places I have anchored in Long Island Sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IIS.jpg
Views:	3245
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	42242  
Old 13-06-2012, 12:23   #7

Seems like once you get out east, the anchorages are plentiful. I'd probably need to anchor at least one night between Huntington and Mystic. Most of the anchorages in western CT seem wide open to the south, which is where the prevailing wind is, of course. Any favorite spots for a stopover on the way to Mystic and points east? (I really need to move to Mystic...)

Old 13-06-2012, 12:36   #8

Boat: Pearson 424, 42' - Kismet
Another vote foe coeckles harbor. Also 3 mile harbor is beautiful and protected as well.
kismet424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 12:52   #9

Agree with Shelter Island area. Many land-locked anchorages. And plenty of others: big, beautiful, and open...Pick your direction...
AllezCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 13:08   #10

H'mmm. Hadn't actually thought of the shelter island area, but now that you mention it, it looks great. Enough to explore for a week's cruise, anyway, and I have a friend out in Greenport.

My boat draws 4', so should be able to get into some nice places.

I guess I could probably sail overnight and get there without a stop over, if the wind was fair.

Old 13-06-2012, 13:33   #11

Community Sponsor

Shelter Island would be a very nice week or more. four foot draft would get you in everywhere.
Only stop off would be Port Jefferson Harbor, then anchor in Dering Harbor right across from Greenport. Dingy or ferry ($1) across to Greenport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shelter.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	439.5 KB
ID:	42244  
Old 13-06-2012, 13:54   #12

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

From Huntington eastward there is little along the New York side of the Sound, however, the Connecticut side has a plethora of towns and anchorages all the way to Fishers Island Sound.
On the NY side there is Port Jefferson which is not cruiser friendly (no dinghy dock) and the next stop is Greenport and Peconic Bay, Shelter Island and behind that is Sag Harbor. On the Connecticut side there are many harbors such as Stamford, Bridgeport, The Thimble Islands, Branford, Duck Island Roads, Westbrook, Clinton etc. You get the idea. Connecticut will lead you to Rhode Island where there are hundreds of more anchorages. You can anchor in southern New England for many years and not stop in the same place twice. Refer to https://activecaptain.com/index.php for specifics.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 15:17   #13

Not great for anchoring in my opinion... lots of mooring fields.

Coldspring Harbor
Eatons Neck near North port
Centerport
East side of Port Jef (or the north west corner)
Inside Mattituck
By the dutch windmall Gardiners bay
Smith Cove Shelter Island
West Harbor Fishers Island
Dutch Harbor Jamestown
Tarpaulin Cove Vineyard Sound
Old Greenwich
Wickford

You won't find many pretty... isolated, protected, good holding, spots... too populated and over developed...

LIS southern NE is not Maine.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 15:58   #14

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Charles Island which is outside of Milford (I think) is a real nice anchorage for a stop on the way to Mystic. Just check your chart so you go around the East end and come in that way. I haven't done it, but I think you can dinghy into Milford. A bir of a ride, but not a big deal.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 16:04   #15

Boat: Westsail 32

Oyster Bay

Tags
anchor, anchorages, long island sound