Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 11:49   #16

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Agent in Puerto Obladia , Panama

We stayed along the coast of Columbia for some excellent cruising then crossed the mouth of the Golfo de Uraba to Zapzurro, Columbia, a delightful little town with a good anchorage. Got laundry, did some shopping, even took on water there.

Then 4.5 miles to Obaldia, anchored in the unpleasant roadstead, and checked into Panama, no issues. Harbor hopped through all the spots in Kuna Yala. Take money, no bank machines in KunaYala (San Blas) at that time.

All pretty low key and non stressful.

No agents anywhere.

Photos Zapzurro. Sorry, no Photos of Obaldia, nothing scenic there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8356-Wings in Zapzurro.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	483.1 KB
ID:	236864   Click image for larger version

Name:	152732-Zapzurro.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	426.1 KB
ID:	236865  

Old 20-04-2021, 09:55   #17

Nice!
Thanks for the update. About how long is the trip to sail from Cartagena to Panama?
LubberOnTheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 10:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LubberOnTheLake View Post
Nice!
Thanks for the update. About how long is the trip to sail from Cartagena to Panama?
From Cartegena to Linton it is roughly 200 nm. The boats taking back packers generally allow 2-4 days.

From Punta San Bernardos to Obaldia it is about 115 miles. We did it in one over night passage. There are jump off points closer to Panama.
Old 22-04-2021, 10:56   #19

I fancy myself as more of a suitcaser than a backpacker

I have found a company that used to make trips from Colombia to Panama that also stopped along different islands. However it seems the islands have closed the ports so the company is not making trips until that changes... (I have been in contact with the company for a year)

Are you aware of any other companies or ways I can make it from Colombia to Panama without flying or hiking the Darrien Gap? This endeavor is turning out to be more difficult than I originally planned...
Old 22-04-2021, 14:48   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I fancy myself as more of a suitcaser than a backpacker

I have found a company that used to make trips from Colombia to Panama that also stopped along different islands. However it seems the islands have closed the ports so the company is not making trips until that changes... (I have been in contact with the company for a year)

Are you aware of any other companies or ways I can make it from Colombia to Panama without flying or hiking the Darrien Gap? This endeavor is turning out to be more difficult than I originally planned...
The San Blas have been closed until just recently. And of course both Panama & Colombia have entry restrictions. It should get easier over time.

There are (were) loads of sub par charter operators who cater to the backpacker market between the San Blas and Cartegena. Many of the wrecks on the reef's in the San Blas came from these sketchy charter operators. Many of them accompanied by stories of drunk/stoned/asleep "captains". The internet is full of stories of these charters gone badly. Overloaded boats, poor quality food, and substandard equipment are the norm. Choose carefully.

I suspect a lot of them folded due to COVID.

Also, the sea between Panama and Colombia is a notoriously nasty bit of water. Not the kind of area you want to transit in a sub standard boat.

My suggestion is skip the transit by boat. Spend some time in the awesome San Blas, then fly to Colombia. Flights are actually less expensive than these questionable charters too.

I assume you are joking about hiking the Darien Gap.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 11:09   #21

I was joking about the Darien Gap.... I am adventurous but not that adventurous

I am surprised to hear the sea is notoriously nasty between Colombia and Panama. I know nothing of sailing on the open seas my only experience with water and boats would be a few speed boats I owned an took up to the lake. But here in Cartagena I have a oceanfront apartment and the water always seems to be incredibly calm.

It seems like Panama is requiring 3 days quarantines upon arrival now. I suppose I will just stay in Colombia till that lifts and/or things start to look normal again. Apparently Panama randomly has lock downs where men can be out one day and women the next...
Old 29-04-2021, 11:49   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
There are (were) loads of sub par charter operators who cater to the backpacker market between the San Blas and Cartegena. Many of the wrecks on the reef's in the San Blas came from these sketchy charter operators. Many of them accompanied by stories of drunk/stoned/asleep "captains". The internet is full of stories of these charters gone badly. Overloaded boats, poor quality food, and substandard equipment are the norm. Choose carefully.

I suspect a lot of them folded due to COVID.

Also, the sea between Panama and Colombia is a notoriously nasty bit of water. Not the kind of area you want to transit in a sub standard boat.
The Caribbean Sea's conditions moderate significantly as one proceeds southward from Cabo de Vela in Columbia towards Cartagena. Between Cartagena and the San Blas Islands the weather is rarely either nasty or notorious and that is the reason so many dodgy charter operations are able to operate. I don't know about the frequency of wrecks of these vessels but it wouldn't surprise me, due to carelessly operated and badly equipped and maintained vessels.

I suspect it is Covid restrictions that have reduced the traffic. Once things open up the backpacker ferries will resume their runs.

However any traveler looking to utilize any of these vessels should take a good look at the boat, its equipment and accommodations, and talk to the captain.

Natural selection works wonders to eliminate foolish people who venture out on un-seamanlike vessels.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:11   #23

What are the odds of me finding someone to sail me from Cartagena to Panama... I mean I guess I could also go to one of the cities further west on the norther coast so it would be a shorter voyage. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny if I could avoid flying..... If the odds are favorable where might I find such a sailor?

Old 03-05-2021, 10:17   #24

Quote:
I was joking about the Darien Gap.... I am adventurous but not that adventurous

I am surprised to hear the sea is notoriously nasty between Colombia and Panama. I know nothing of sailing on the open seas my only experience with water and boats would be a few speed boats I owned an took up to the lake. But here in Cartagena I have a oceanfront apartment and the water always seems to be incredibly calm.

It seems like Panama is requiring 3 days quarantines upon arrival now. I suppose I will just stay in Colombia till that lifts and/or things start to look normal again. Apparently Panama randomly has lock downs where men can be out one day and women the next...
The strongest effect of the Trade Winds/Colombian low interaction is a few miles offshore. It can get ugly.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:24   #25

Quote:
What are the odds of me finding someone to sail me from Cartagena to Panama... I mean I guess I could also go to one of the cities further west on the norther coast so it would be a shorter voyage. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny if I could avoid flying..... If the odds are favorable where might I find such a sailor?

When the charter trade was running the odds were pretty good, but now, esp with the San Blas still closed to recreational vessels the odds are not as good. Go check around at some of the local marina, esp Club Nautico, and you might get lucky.

The seas settle down in the late Spring-Summer months. This is when many Colombian sport fishing boats choose to make their run across. You are more likely to find them at Club de Pesca marina.

Note re San Blas status. The Congreso made an announcement about "reopening" but I just learned today that their intent was for commercial vessel, like the Colombian traders, no recreational vessels. They are apparently still turning away recreational vessels.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:28   #26

Thanks for the response.

The timing with the seas calming down and me being well over my year in Cartagena seems very promising. I think this month when my lease is up here I will rent a car and drive around the coast of Colombia for a month or maybe more until I can find the proper passage to Panama.

Thanks again for all the replies... I know my post in the thread probably seem pretty random haha.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:43   #27

Quote:
I think this thread is a good enough place to ask this question. If I do find transport via the sea from Colombia to Panama... are the ports open? Like the immigration offices? Or is it currently only possible to go through immigration if you fly into the country?
References:

Columbia https://www.noonsite.com/place/colom...curity-section

Panama https://www.noonsite.com/place/panam...curity-section
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTonic View Post
If you have checked in at Obaldia, Panama in the past year or so, I'd like to know the contact number for an agento to do the clearing in. Any problems anchoring, getting ashore, finding the appropriate offices, able to get all necessary documents, costs of documents, getting through police and military barriers.

I plan to sail from Cartagena this weekend , thanks !

Puerto Obaldía is the smallest and easternmost of the four corregimientos of the Kuna Yala indigenous region of Panama, located on the border with Colombia. This mainland area that does not include any islands cannot be reached overland. It has an aerodrome. At the census of population of 2000, the number was 672, of which 533 resided in the main town of Puerto Obaldía. Other settlements werde La Miel (pop. 80), La Boca (pop. 31), and Playa Blanca (pop. 28).

Puerto Obaldia is a city in Kuna Yala province of Eastern Panama. A ramshackle collection of decrepit houses, mostly with damaged or missing roofs though painted in some nice color, a beach littered with rubbish. An internet cafe, a supermarket, a bread store with some ordinary and sweet breads, two hostels, two restaurants.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:39   #29

Note that the San Blas are still officially closed to recreational vessels. I just got an update on that today.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:41   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTonic View Post
If you have checked in at Obaldia, Panama in the past year or so, I'd like to know the contact number for an agento to do the clearing in. Any problems anchoring, getting ashore, finding the appropriate offices, able to get all necessary documents, costs of documents, getting through police and military barriers.

I plan to sail from Cartagena this weekend , thanks !
Did you cross as planned? If so, did you try to clear in at Obaldia?

Tags
Panama