Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2019, 16:45   #1

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Advice, where next after the ABCs

We purchased in Aruba, been to Bonaire and a lot of time in and out of Curacao doing a mini refit. This mini refit is nearing completion.

We fly back and forth to the boat, so I'd like to sail somewhere that we can safely leave the boat and get back to the USA. So transportation time/cost/hassle come into play. We prefer to anchor out when on the boat but have the boat in a secure marina while we are away.

Where should we go next? I'd really like to see/sail around parts of the Bahamas before the 2019 Hurricane season but also the USVI/BVI sound appealilng. I don't have a clear cut hurricane season plan, yet. We are likely head back down to the ABCs.

We plan to depart around the beginning of April. I still have some boat projects to do before heading further, thus the expected April departure.

Boat is a 2008 Leopard 40 sailing catamaran.
Draft is less than 4.5'. 200 gallons fresh water + watermaker.
85 gallons of fuel plus another 20 gallons in cans. 2 29HP Yanmars.
She makes all the electricity we need from solar (360w x 4 panels = 4-6 kWh/day) + Honda 2.2k if needed. 450 ah FF Oasis bank.
Sails are original and I'm not perfect at maximizing speed and angles. So 40-45 AWA is typically the best I get.
We are US citizens and the boat is US flagged.

Insurance forbids Haiti, Cuba and Venezuela. Cuba is the only one that irks me, meaning I want to go there, but not without boat insurance. The rest of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico are fine.

I don't want to sail all downwind now and then have a huge upwind battle in a few months.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0238.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	186392   Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0249.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	186393  

Old 22-02-2019, 04:37   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Advice, where next after the ABCs

Sail north to the Virgins or Puerto Rico, work your way east down the Caribbean as far as Martinique and then back to Bonaire/Curacao for the scuba diving during hurricane season.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 14:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Sail north to the Virgins or Puerto Rico, work your way east down the Caribbean as far as Martinique and then back to Bonaire/Curacao for the scuba diving during hurricane season.
Any places you would recommend for leaving the boat in safety while back in the USA?
Old 23-02-2019, 14:57   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Any places you would recommend for leaving the boat in safety while back in the USA?
There are lots of places, it's a big coast. What area do you plan to be in? A lot of foreign boats leave their boat in Deltaville on the Chesapeake in Virginia. Or Brunswick in Georgia.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 15:00   #5

Boat: Boatless

Chris,

Curacao marine, on the hard, is one of the safest places in the Caribbean.

https://www.curacaomarine.com/

In the water we left the boat at https://www.harbourvillage.com/ but not as bullet proof as Curacao Marine.

I do not consider anywhere in the Northern Caribbean or Bahamas to be 'hurricane safe.'

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 15:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
There are lots of places, it's a big coast. What area do you plan to be in? A lot of foreign boats leave their boat in Deltaville on the Chesapeake in Virginia. Or Brunswick in Georgia.
Sorry for the confusion, we will be flying back to the USA. We want to leave the boat in other places. Advice is appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Chris,

Curacao marine, on the hard, is one of the safest places in the Caribbean.

https://www.curacaomarine.com/

In the water we left the boat at https://www.harbourvillage.com/ but not as bullet proof as Curacao Marine.

I do not consider anywhere in the Northern Caribbean or Bahamas to be 'hurricane safe.'
We have been using Curacao Marine off and on since late last summer. They have been good to us there. I'm hoping to get recommendations about other places that are safe to leave the for a 2-3 weeks at a time. We'll get the boat back to Curacao during Hurricane Season.