Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2012, 08:06   #1

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Advice: Stuart FL to Nassau BAH

Hi all: considering a one way trip involving the above. Assuming prevailing E-SE winds, I am thinking about first hugging the coast of FL until I can just make a course towards the Abacos via NW Providence Channel, and then turning S once I think I can make Nassau. However, I would like to hear opinions on this, and/or alternate routes. Again, I am assuming prevailing E-SE winds and a N-flowing Gulf Stream at an average of 2.5-3 kt, which I think are pretty safe assumptions this time of year.

I understand the risk of hurricanes, thank you!

Best, Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 08:14   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Advice: Stuart FL to Nassau BAH

Get across the stream as quick as possible. Enter NW Providence channel, scoot around north of the Berrys and then on to Nassau.
Old 20-07-2012, 12:16   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul

You're going to be bucking the current if you try to hug the coast of FL, the stream current gets pretty close to shore, I would (with SE winds and good forecast), do Stuart->Little Bahama Bank, getting across the stream ASAP. Check in Abacos, make your way around to SE part, and with E winds make the trip across the NE Providence channel.
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 11:49   #4
Marine Service Provider

Your location says your in Jupiter, Florida. Why not go from Lake Worth to West End. From there ease your way south around Grand Bahama into the NW Providence Channel and follow the route to Nassau?
Old 24-07-2012, 12:29   #5

Boat: Bristol 34

I recently made the crossing going from Marathon, but coming back late June into Pt. St. Lucie/Stuart. Going South you have to pretty much choose offshore or ICW and there are not too many places to duck in from Stuart to Miami if you choose offshore.

I left from Rodriguez Key around Key Largo, which gave me an easy ten hour crossing with the stream helping the northward push toward Bimini. From Bimini it was a long sail to Chub Key then south to Nassau. The Chub to Nassau crossing can be uncomfortable in a southerly and an alternative is Chub to Morgan's Bluff on Andros and then on to Nassau - at least allowing you to sail on a close reach.

If you enter at Bimini watch the sandbar to the north of the mouth, but they were dredging the channel when I was leaving. Best to call ahead to either Big Game Club or Browns Marina for some advice.

You can cut a few hours off the Bimini to Chubb or Andros route by heading south towards Gun Key, but my 6' keel convinced me to take the northerly route.

Bimini is an easy landfall and customs check-in. You can anchor just north of the Big Game club - but set your hook carefully, as holding is precarious and the current strong.

Contact me if you'd like some further info and have a great time!!!!
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nassau