Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2020, 10:44   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Advice on passage Florida to Bahamas

You might find the website for association of Bahamas’s marinas to have some helpful info on the current covid protocols and clearing in and out (yes you must clear out now).

https://www.bahamasmarinas.com/enteringexiting-policies

https://www.bahamasmarinas.com/procedures-and-protocols
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 10:49   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

REQUIREMENTS FOR BOATERS AND BAHAMAS MARINAS (as of 12/22/20):

Effective Wednesday, the 23rd day of December, 2020 through to Monday the 4"‘ day of January, 2021 only, the results of an RTPCR COVID 19 molecular diagnostic test shall be valid for a period of seven days from the date on which the test was taken and any travel health visa issued in reliance of those results is only valid for that time.

This will revert to five (5) days at 12:00 am on the 5th day of January, 2021.

Once in possession of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test, all travelers will then be required to apply for a Bahamas Health Travel Visa at https://travel.gov.bs/ (click on the International Tab) where the required test must be uploaded. If technical difficulties are experienced with the Health Travel Visa website, please call (242) 502-0829 or email healthvisa@bahamas.com.

Fees for the Bahamas Health Travel Visa, inclusive of Day 5 Rapid Antigen Test and mandatory health insurance, are as follows:
$40 – Visitors staying up to four nights and five days.

More ➥ https://www.bahamasmarinas.com/procedures-and-protocols

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 11:28   #18

Boat: J Boats J/46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
I'm getting a bit overwhelmed trying to plan things out.
There have been some excellent answers so far. Not much technical info add.

One thing I would add is I see many be overly conservative on waiting for weather windows. Don’t exceed your skill level, make things too uncomfortable, or put your boat in harms way, but remember there is no sea monster hiding under the Gulf Stream. The charts are very good and accurate in the well traveled lanes. There are stores and services in the Bahamas (just not nearly as many as in Florida).

Try not to feel overwhelmed. Right now it may feel like you are about to step off a cliff.....once you get there and are checked in you will say to yourself, “that was a piece of cake.”

Trust your boat, trust your preparation, trust your skills. You will do great.

Sail safe and fair winds.

Here is our crossing last year from Miami to Eleuthera:
SV_Sweet_Ruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 12:04   #19

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
So as for my questions:

1. How far South should I go before crossing? I've read that I should plan for an average of around 2kts of current North, so certainly South of my destination. All the way to Miami area?

I'm the iconoclast here - I don't see the point of motoring for days going south in the ICW so that you can drift with the Gulf current. Sail south along the coast as far as Jupiter, then set up for a SE heading making good a roughly E course at 2-3 kts. West End is good, but a little remote. I recommend clearing in at Lucaya. From there you should head south to Eleuthera or the Exumas - Abacos is too cold at this time of year.

2. What ports can I clear into for customs? And how does that process work?

In Lucaya you stop at the fuel dock and go upstairs to the customs agent. Bring cash for your permit - they don't take cards.

4. This trip seems doable single-handed to me. Possibly a start around midnight and arrive late afternoon? Is that reasonable or should I really be searching for crew assistance? I normally cruise between 5-6kts.

Depends on you and your watch system, and how long you're happy staying awake. I'd leave earlier and plan to arrive in the morning; if the weather doesn't cooperate and it takes longer you'll still have a chance to make it before sundown.

5. What do people look for in a weather window for this crossing? I'm imagining South to West winds are good, East winds are obviously bad, and North winds would kick up bigger seas being against the gulf stream current? What else should I be looking for?

The common advice is for no northerly component to the wind. Don't trust NOAA's forecasts. And treat all other weather sources with suspicion. When you get the bulk of the forecasts more or less agreeing on something that you like go for it. And expect it to change.

6. What are some boat/equipment preparations I should be thinking about? This will be my first cruising destination where access to parts/services will be significantly difficult.

Good thing about Lucaya, if something busts (and it always happens) you can take the local buses into Freeport proper - there are a couple of boat stores, a couple of hardware stores, grocery stores etc. Just coming from the States, you should be stocked up with food (esp. meat, chips/crackers, peanut butter), paper goods (TP paper towel) and beer. In The Bahamas that stuff is expensive. Buy liquor (esp. rum) in The Bahamas. Another benefit to Lucaya is there are a couple liquor stores right at the head of the docks.

7. Once I arrive, what is the general cruising route? I draft 5.5 ft so it seems like I have to be pretty careful about that. I'd like to keep my options open for continuing South to Puerto Rico, Turks & Caicos etc. But that decision will depend on Covid, timing with hurricane season to worry about, and my ability to get crew for the bigger passages.

From there, hop across to the Berry's then hop south from anchorage to anchorage. Nassau if that appeals, otherwise down the Exumas.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I don't expect anyone to type out detailed answers to all of these, but if there is one you have particularly good info on, or resources you use that can be linked, that would be great!
Activecaptain is a pretty good resource, as well as the Explorer (iirc) books.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:45   #20

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

As others have said, leave from Lake Worth when traveling to the Abacos. Leave from Key Biscayne area when traveling to Bimini and the Exumas.

Tags
Advice, Bahamas, florida, passage