Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 07:44   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS
Advice on North Carolina Marinas

We need to get our new Lagoon 400 out of Florida in the next couple months and would like to store it in North Carolina before we begin cruising in April/May. Being on the west coast it’s difficult to fully get a picture of these potential locations. Any insight to the marinas we have already located would be helpful as would additional leads.

So far we have found availability in Pamlico Sound at New Bern and Oriental
• Northwest Creek Marina
• Oriental Harbor Village Center and Marina
• Whittaker Point Marina

And in Southport
• South Harbor Village

Since we’ll essentially just be storing the boat here through the winter we are mostly concerned w/ security; convenience is not too much of a factor.

Thanks much.
RyanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:00   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Advice on North Carolina Marinas

Ryan:

I live in Oriental. The only marina that can accomodate a 20' beam cat is the second on your list, Oriental Harbor Marina.

You could haul out and store on the hard. But check with Deatons and Sailcraft, the two yards with Travel Lifts to check their capacity.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:05   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

RyanC,
Although you state convenience is not a major factor you will find that most of the marinas you have listed are not convenient to airports and will require an expensive taxi fare or a rental car when you leave and return to the boat. The most convenient would be marinas in New Bern or Wilmington, which have commercial air service. There are two marinas in New Bern, the Grand and the Bridge Pointe. The Bridge Pointe was badly damaged in Hurricane Irene last year and I don't know the status of repairs. I have also heard it has changed ownership. Both of these marinas are a $10 cab fare from the New Bern airport. All flights go through Charlotte or Atlanta. The Northwest Creek Marina is close enough to New Bern that the taxi fare would be reasonable. There is also a marina in Bridgeton, across the Neuse from New Bern.
The last time I took a taxi from the airport to Oriental it cost around $70.
I spent a year at the Bridge Pointe marina, and if it is back in operation I can recommend it.
I would be very wary of using the Whittaker Point Marina as it sits on a point of land into the Neuse River and can take the brunt of winter storms. The last time I was there it looked like it was going out of business (lots of empty slips and no one around). I would check it out carefully.
One other place to check out is Washington, NC. It is way up the Pamlico River, but is probably safer than Southport and New Bern/Oriental from tropical storms.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 10:24   #4

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Whittaker point can accommodate catamarans
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 13:28   #5

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

Bridgepoint is not back and there appears to be no progress to fix it that we have seen. I don't see it being back for at least another year.

New Bern Grand is a nice place for sure, but I'd suggest that if you are going to just store it, to try either Northwest Creek or Bridgeton.

John may have paid a lot for a cab from Oriental, but that like 30+ miles from the airport. I'm quite sure someone would have given him a ride for beer money had he asked :-)

Anyway, I am not sure, but I THINK Northwest Creek is full. Call Dawn and ask. I know they have a couple of cats there now, but I can't answer if their cat slips are all spoken for.

Bridgeton is sort of new. It has only started to fill up since Bridge Point closed. Again, no specifics on cat slips, but I think they do have them. I like the construction of the place. Big strong docks, but it wide open to the river with blows and wakes from every direction. But why would you care You'll be hundreds of miles away :-)

The big thing on security is to have a good population of live aboards. Northwest Creek thrives on them and has very little crime. New Bern Grand has had some, but they are addressing it (we are there now and have seen no sign of any in the past year). we have a bunch of live aboards and everyone knows everyone else. Still, it IS attached to downtown New Bern. Not exactly crime central, but there can be some associated with high-traffic areas.

Whittaker Point is new-ish too. In fact we walked around in there for the first time last week. Nice place. Seems very secure as it's attached to a nice neighborhood, but it's remote. Or at least, it's a long drive to everything. There are quite a few empty slips. It's not the best location and open to SW blows. They have had a hard time filling up their slips, so you might could get a good deal if you pay up front.

I'm not a fan of Oriental Harbor. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I just don't trust that place. All the friends I have in Oriental tell me it's in a financial mess and could go under any day (been saying it for a while... take that with a grain of salt).

Hope this helps... PM me if you have any questions!
Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 14:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

I highly recommend River Dunes Marina.

It is about 10 miles outside of oriental. We parked there for a month. It is the finest facility I've seen. New floating docks with hardwood decks. Pools & hot tubs are from a 5 star resort. AND, the rate is $6 per foot per month with a Marinalife membership.
While Oriental was getting trashed by hurricane irene, River Dunes did not suffer a scratch. they have plenty of room for catamarans too

It is in the middle of nowhere, part of a 5 star development that has stalled due to the economy. Enterprise rentalcar will come to pick you up from New Bern. We did that, it is about a half hour drive. The marina has 2 loaner cars to take short trips into Oriental for groceries, hardware or dining.

It is the perfect place to park a boat!
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 14:12   #7

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

"John may have paid a lot for a cab from Oriental, but that like 30+ miles from the airport. I'm quite sure someone would have given him a ride for beer money had he asked :-)"

Tom,
Where were you when I had $70 of beer money in my pocket? I arrived on the last flight out of Charlotte so most of the beer drinkers were either at home or not in any condition to drive to Oriental. Actually I've consumed beer with many of the New Bern locals, and I think they would consider $70 no more than a good start on a beer drinking evening.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 06:26   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla

These two in Wilmington possibly could work for you:
Bennett Brothers Yachts
Wilmington Marine Center- Our Enclosed Basin Marina Provides Safety & Service- Full service yacht yard w/ 75 ton lift
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 06:41   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

RyanC,

I second the recommendation on River Dunes near Oriental. It is a wonderful facility. I keep my monohull there and made it thru Hurricane Irene with no issues. There are a number of cats that stay here permanently and lots of visitors in cats.

River Dunes is right off the ICW just north of Oriental.

Check the reviews on Active Captain and visit their website: A boating community on the ICW, Neuse River, and Pamlico Sound

Bob P.
bilgedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 19:55   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I live in New Bern and most of the comments above are correct. Since you will be parking the boat during hurricane season, and will not be around to watch over it, River Dunes would be your best bet.

It is totally land locked with a jogging entry canal to diminish any storm surge. Docks are just a couple years old, and are very nice. Oriental is a few miles down the road, and air service is at New Bern - Coastal Carolina Airport - about 30 miles away.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 20:22   #11

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
Stayed for the winter in Grand at New Bern for the winter in 2010, great place, convenient to airport, free shuttle ride from the hotel. If you stay longer than six months you are subject to personal property tax, don't know how much, we missed it by a week.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 05:51   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finistere View Post
Stayed for the winter in Grand at New Bern for the winter in 2010, great place, convenient to airport, free shuttle ride from the hotel. If you stay longer than six months you are subject to personal property tax, don't know how much, we missed it by a week.

The advantage here is that you are steps away from the downtown section of town, and New Bern has a charming downtown
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:48   #13

You're looking for well-maintained 15+ foot pilings and a marina that binds all boats together into one big raft.

If you're on the move (running from storm) try South Village Harbor Marina by Southport.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:09   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advice on North Carolina Marinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post

The advantage here is that you are steps away from the downtown section of town, and New Bern has a charming downtown
+A1... great coffee shop and Diner...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:19   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

If your goal is to have a SAFE place to store your vessel, then NWC topps that list. It has the best protection from weather, and a staff that actually cares about the boats that are there.

The marinas in Oriental all are exposed to weather at times. Whittaker Point more then the others. Look on a chart to see what I mean.

I would second the idea of hauling her out, if you have any work that might need to be done then the $$$ is not mis-spent. Core Creek marine in Beaufort, which is in the same yard as Jarrett Bay, who can handle the life-out.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas