Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 21:23   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 39i Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Just curious, but how do you know all these things if you have never experienced being there on yiour own boat?
You don't have to go there by boat to do your research. Your better to do your research and learn from other people's errors than your own. I have many contacts with in the sailing community, I have done business with Cuba, traveled there many times, and met personally with the Commodore of the Havana Yacht Club.

I was planning to go by my own boat, but then decided against it.

Many people do have great experiences in Cuba by boat or by plane. As I said, it is a very beautiful country, some of the best unspoiled beaches in the world. Remote locations, with little traffic, so you have it mostly to yourself.

But what I posted is not incorrect, the previous poster, that left his boat, notice he left it in a Marina, and you are obligated to stay in Marinas if they are there.

Just wanted to Post 10 things you should be aware of, and if you choose to ignore, you will learn from your own mistakes.
Radonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 10:49   #17

Re: Advice on Cruising to Cuba - 2011

Hello all
We are a UK registered boat but have spent a lot of time cruising Cuba - along with plenty of US boats.
For us it was the best cruising we have ever had. I should quantify this a bit - it really depends on what you are trying to get from your life afloat. Do you prefer the life and amenities of somewhere like Georgetown, or do you prefer adventure, new sites, new people, different cultures etc. Either is fine but only one view is really suited to the Cuba experience. Dont kid yourself as to which you really prefer or you won't enjoy it.

For us, Cuba can be summed up very easily. Beautiful people, beautiful scenery, a different way of living. Oh, and great fishing.

In reality, there are obstacles, but no worse than many other countries and 100 times more polite. Cubans are extremely proficient at breaking almost every rule in the book, so despite the apparent burocracy, it is much the same as anywhere really.
Don't expect to be able to get everything you want, but do expect to be able to get lots of things you never knew you wanted. Don't go if you are in a hurry either - its a big country and deserves the right to be explored properly.

In our view its an absolute must on any cruise. If you would like more info, then please feel free to mail or PM me.

Finally, don't believe any of the rumours about what happens to boats and cruisers over there. We were happily sat at anchor in a deserted spot talking to a cruiser on SSB in the US who told us quite emphatically that this wasn't possible.

Enjoy!!

PS Radonic - many of those points are simply not true. That said, sure it wont put off those who are truly keen to go but if its stopping you, then go and get out there, its fine!
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 12:01   #18

Have spent the past 13 seasons cruising in Cuba. Have never had a problem anywhere ,anchored out many places and toured the whole island on land. Have completed 3 circumnavigations of the island. Dont plan to cruise anywhere else.
Don
marlinespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 07:19   #19

Just reading all the posts. I am planning on going there this winter I was there 20 years ago it was great . I am glad to hear from fellow sailors that it still friendly. I want to sail with my dog does anyone have information about that.
ragzamoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, cuba