Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 21:10   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Abacos island family getaway

victor -

crossing will be a lot better in june than january. just watch the weather. with a powerboat like yours, doing maybe 15 to 20, you would be at west end in maybe five hours, so you don't need a huge weather window like us sailors. just make sure you've got enough fuel.

should have mentioned the 'cruisers net' on vhf 16 every morning. lots of local information about the goings on around abaco. you may not be able to pick it up everywhere in abaco - stronger near marsh harbor.

and if someone back in the states has to reach you in an emergency, cruisers net will broadcast your boat name and emergency info. have them send an email to cruisers@cocotels.net with the words 'emergency for yacht so-and-so' with a short message and it will be broadcast on the cruisers net.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 21:18   #17

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor75 View Post
Hey guys I just heard that crossing the stream a 30 ft boat would be bear minimum for that. Can you please comment? Because my boat is 26ft power boat.
Thank you

Victor.
My 70+ dad along with my aunt and uncle made the trip in a 22 foot boston whaler. I know of at least a dozen 26 or 28 foot sailboats that go back and forth. It'll be EXTREMELY uncomfortable unless you wait for the right weather window - get a professional like Chris Parker to advise you if you lack experience in this area. Have a back-up plan if you don't get a good weather window (Keys?).
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 21:22   #18

The cruisers net is on channel 68.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Old 10-01-2013, 22:09   #19

What would be a good weather for me, ok weather and bad/no go weather to cross ?
How strong wind would be acceptable and sea height and all that?
Thank you all again! Can't thank you enough !
Victor75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:56   #20

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Nonsense, it all depends on the weather. My 21' Hobie Cat was sailed from Ft. Lauderdale and my neighbor ran his 17' carolina skiff over from Lake Worth. It all depends on the weather and the skipper!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:01   #21

victor -

here's a link to a wealth of info about the abacos, including articles about small boats traveling there from florida.

Abaco Forum Information/Resources/Links

dr ralph naranjo has been going to the abacos since time began and is a wealth of information about traveling there.

another website - associated with dr ralph - is Abaco Forum Home Page
it has discussion forums about abaco related things as well as links to weather and webcams.

about your boat - i see many boats that size and smaller crossing over. many of them are center console open fisherman types, going fishing or going to fishing derbys. they all wait for good weather, but because they're fast, they can go at times i might hesitate. the cruisers net i mentioned is on vhf 68, not 16. sometimes i type too fast...
Old 11-01-2013, 13:18   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Manjack Key has a beautiful beach that you would have to yourself and is very close to Green turtle for groceries, hotels etc. DIve boats some times stop there for lunch and the local rays have gotten use to food scraps so if you stand in ankle deep water they will rub up against you looking for handouts.

From Lauderdale I'd suggest Bimini as your first stop (little over 50 miles I think) Then head to Abaco from there.

Your size boat is absolutely capable but weather even for 50' boats crossing the stream is critical. Get the right weather and it's no problem. Several of the cruising guides provide good info on what weather to look for.
Old 11-01-2013, 13:50   #23

I've crossed in a 18 ft open fish. June is a great month - calm seas. DO NOT rely on weather reports only. Go and look at the ocean the nite before m and the next morning - early - I've crossed in 1 - 2 - thats inchens.
Beaches - check out Moraine Cay in the north, No Name Cay just south (ogyt h) of Green Turtle, Tahiti Beach on the south end of Elbow Cay, the beach on Tilloo Cay ( in the south in the shallow Tiloo Bank ) and , with out question, the finest , very private beach in the Abacos, the first island just south of Tilloo Cay, one of the Pelican Cays- unbelievable !!
You and the Family will have a great time. Theres a saying here- bring half the cloths and twice the money. Also, don't use Am/Ex ? Get A capital one c/c - no foreign exchange fees
We know - we live here. Have fun, enjoy and be careful
bmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 19:25   #24

Enormous amount of great information guys. Thank you!
Is there a formula to what size boat can safely rides on what size waves ?

Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2013, 20:22   #25

We loved Treasure Cay. The beach is truely wonderful. The grocery store and laudry are easily accessable. You can anchor or use the marina.
susan 238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 21:04   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor75 View Post
Enormous amount of great information guys. Thank you!
Is there a formula to what size boat can safely rides on what size waves ?

Thanks again!
The question is, how big can the waves be before you start throwing up? And how big before you feel like you're beating your brains out? You're traveling with the family, right? Probably don't want to be at the limits of your boat's capabilities. Worry about the comfort of your crew.
Old 13-01-2013, 14:34   #27

Guys. I would like to ask mere questions if I may.
I'm a day cruiser, love camping, I know my boat well, I'm a good mechanic I think. But it's time to experience more and cross the gulf going from place to place beach to beach. How can I know where I'm aloud to drop my anchors and overnight? Is it ok to park anywhere I want as long as there is no boat traffick? I'm not talking marinas I'm talking for example in front of a deserted beach or arround small islands there.

Thanks a million !
Victor
Old 13-01-2013, 16:33   #28

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Come on over! You may anchor anwhere someone will not run you over. You could spend a whole year between West End and the civilized part of Abaco and never anchor in the same deserted spot twice!!!!!!!!!!!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 17:53   #29

once you're 'on the banks' you'll be in 10 to 20 feet of water for 100 miles all around. you can literally drop your anchor anywhere. the dodge guide shows many anchorages but they're not the only ones. 100 feet of anchor rode/chain should cover most anchorages; and with your shallow draft you can probably get in pretty close.

there are a few places where they would like you to take a mooring ball; hopetown harbor is one. but they're pretty cheap. good idea to show an anchor light at night, although few boats travel in the dark.

and please don't drop your anchor on a coral reef...
Old 17-01-2013, 03:43   #30

Thumbs up Re: Abacos island family getaway

Thanks everyone !!!

Tags
abaco, family