Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 12:44   #1

Boat: 50 Bene
Abaco Water Temp ?

Hey folks just looking for opinions on swimmability of the water in early feb. My wife is from Nassau and I have been there and swam over Christmases etc and while on the cool side was not terribly cold. We are bareboating for a week in Abaco early feb and was just looking for opinions on the water temp, as some of our guests/crew are having reservations. My opinion is I would rather be more comfortable on the boat especially at night than have the ideal water temp but hey what to do I know?

Thanks in advance

W
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I generally have found the Abacos to be notably cooler in the winter than the northern end of the Great Bahama Bank. I'd guess about 5 degrees cooler. Some winter's I've found it to be fairly comfortable: mid to upper 70s I'd guess. Last winter was much cooler. I'd guess low 70s.

Chart of averages Abacos conditions here:

Abaco islands | Climate, tide and current weather information for the Abaco islands

The trick I find is to get off the boat and find a section of beach and bay in the sun protected from the wind. It makes all the difference. If you want to snorkel reefs, a thin shortie wetsuit may really help.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
72 - 75*F

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 17:02   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
My opinion is I would rather be more comfortable on the boat especially at night than have the ideal water temp but hey what to do I know?
Simple solution. Go at a time of year when the water is warmer and get a boat with A/C

Then you can be very comfortable at night and just as comfortable during the day in the water.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:40   #5

Boat: Maine Cat 41
For a week you should be fine. We saw temps in the upper 60s to mid 70s at that time of year.

Of course, swimming in the shallow areas it will be a bit warmer. I get cold easily, but found I was okay for at least 1/2 hour snorkeling swims.

In most locations if you anchor or take a mooring ball, the nights will be very comfortable. One "trick" is to take an evening dip with a quick fresh water rinse.

Fair Winds,
Mike
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 16:45   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Simple solution. Go at a time of year when the water is warmer and get a boat with A/C

Then you can be very comfortable at night and just as comfortable during the day in the water.
Please point me in the direction of an affordable Abacos bareboat equipped with A/C that does not require shore power to run. I'd be very interested!
Old 12-08-2010, 17:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Please point me in the direction of an affordable Abacos bareboat equipped with A/C that does not require shore power to run. I'd be very interested!

I guess it all depends on what you consider affordable. I know the moorings has a base in Abacos and you could probably get a 4600 buy buying time from an owner for a reasonable price. When they have specials sometimes you can get as good a deal from them direct.

We are chartering in the BVI on a 4600 this Fall and for the same price could have chosen Abacos. 4600 has a generator and A/C. We have 8 people and the per person cost for the Boat and Provisions (all meals except 4 dinners) is about $1100 a person for the 8 days. This is also on an a 4600 Exclusive too.

With 5 couples and one couple sleeping in the Saloon, you could have 10 people and lower the price even more.
Old 12-08-2010, 17:19   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... With 5 couples and one couple sleeping in the Saloon, you could have 10 people and lower the price even more.
You are either much closer to your friends, than I am mine; or you're a real party animal!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 17:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You are either much closer to your friends, than I am mine; or you're a real party animal!
LOL... we have good friends. How could you not with 8 or more people on a boat, regardless of the size?

As it is this year due to the way our group worked out with only 2 couples and the rest being singles, my brother-in-law will be sleeping in the Saloon. There's a chance we may have a 9th person join us and I told him we have no designated spot He'll probably just sleep on the trampoline if its dry or where ever he can find a dry spot. I'm not too worried about him since he slept outdoors on a bench at a wedding we went to when he had a perfectly good bed inside!
Old 12-08-2010, 19:04   #10

Quote:
I guess it all depends on what you consider affordable. I know the moorings has a base in Abacos and you could probably get a 4600 buy buying time from an owner for a reasonable price. When they have specials sometimes you can get as good a deal from them direct.

We are chartering in the BVI on a 4600 this Fall and for the same price could have chosen Abacos. 4600 has a generator and A/C. We have 8 people and the per person cost for the Boat and Provisions (all meals except 4 dinners) is about $1100 a person for the 8 days. This is also on an a 4600 Exclusive too.

With 5 couples and one couple sleeping in the Saloon, you could have 10 people and lower the price even more.
I'm usually on much smaller/less expensive boats, but that's something to keep in mind, especially for summer chartering. Thanks for the head's up on that!
Old 12-08-2010, 19:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I'm usually on much smaller/less expensive boats, but that's something to keep in mind, especially for summer chartering. Thanks for the head's up on that!
You could do something similiar for even less with a 2nd tier charter company too I would think. At least that's what I've seen available in the BVI.
Old 12-08-2010, 21:49   #12

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Gord - I agree, too many and way way too close for one day forget about 8 days....
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 05:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-Mystique View Post
Gord - I agree, too many and way way too close for one day forget about 8 days....
You guys just need better friends. Keep in mind that this was on a 46' catamaran too. With the right group, it's a lot of fun since everyone helps out with cooking... Etc.

I really never felt like we were crowded except just after diving with all our gear being dismantled back on the boat.
Old 13-08-2010, 05:28   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:

We used to charter a lot, usually four persons, sometimes six. The problem with six or more is that it becomes difficult to cook on the usual charter boat for that amount of people. Aside from small ovens (we roasted 6 Cornish game hens once, but they had to be put on end in the roasting pan, looked like a crown roast and didn't cook evenly)the utensils and pots and pans are inadequate. If you have a large party, and many do, then the best bet is to eat ashore. That's what many of the large charter parties do.
Old 13-08-2010, 05:42   #15

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
Image - 12 people using the heads' every morning....... HAHA!
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco