Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2011, 17:57   #16

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: A Working Vacation in the Bahamas

All you have to do is piss off one Bahamian. By law immigration must investigate any and all complaints of foriegners working illegally. I have seen people taken directly from a job to the airport in handcuffs. Not worth taking the chance.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 04:38   #17

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale

Okay folks, that answers that, I'll just sip rum and skip the certifications. I'm going to be plain old lazy then, which is what I prefer anyhow...
Old 19-08-2011, 05:24   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannen View Post
. . . I'm going to be plain old lazy then, which is what I prefer anyhow...
This is going to be hard to do as the Bahamas offers some of the best waters and snorkeling, diving and fishing. Not to mention dodging shifting sand banks while underway. Trying to do boat chores while there is difficult as you somehow always manage to jump over the side after the anchor is down - just to check the anchor set - and don't get back on board for quite awhile.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 05:31   #19

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
All you have to do is piss off one Bahamian. By law immigration must investigate any and all complaints of foriegners working illegally. I have seen people taken directly from a job to the airport in handcuffs. Not worth taking the chance.
Its the same in all civilised countries. It just that in the U.S, you have 11,000,000 doing it--and not enough INS agents.
Old 19-08-2011, 05:53   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Actually there are enough INS agents but the fact that "Mexicans" (which includes anybody from Central or South America) will work for half minimum wage and not complain is the limiting factor on sending them back "home." Other countries are copying the USA example - for instance, the Dominican Republic is letting in large amounts of Haitians to do "dirt work" at the equivalent of a US$1 per day versus the US$3/day that D.R. citizens demand.
- - So working in a foreign country is and will continue to be a "touchy" subject as governments are pressured to keep their own citizens employed versus the need for super cheap labor that locals are not willing or able to do. And that also limits what a cruiser can do as he obviously would want more than sub-minimum wages.
- - Still the best way to work as a cruiser in a foreign country is to start a local business and employ locals and train them. This has been a very successful route for many cruisers.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 11:03   #21

Boat: Pearson 422 "Island Dream"
Send a message via AIM to CaptPatAg

Check into having "Boy Scouts" come aboard your boat. I know of a couple organizations in Marsh Harbour that do that. I have been offered a job having scouts with adults aboard for a week at a time. Get your license.
CaptPatAg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, vacation