Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2012, 15:31   #1

Boat: Islander 32
4th of July in Charleston

My sail itinerary has me in Charleston for the 4th of July, any other Cruisers out there planning on watching the fireworks? If so, it would be great to get a group together to share embellished err sea stories and celebrate in good cruising style.
Mischief32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:35   #2

Boat: 34 Irwin
Where are u planing on being? I would skip patriots point marina. I ll never get out of there with boat or car on the 4th. I'm at Ashley river marina
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 18:49   #3

Re: 4th of July in Charleston

On my last visit I stayed at the City Marina, literally at the end of the seemingly endless mega dock. I've actually not investigated what the berthing situation looks like for the fourth, I'll try and do that tomorrow. Ashley River, if I remember is right next to the City Marina.
Old 19-06-2012, 13:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha ann View Post
Where are u planing on being? I would skip patriots point marina. I ll never get out of there with boat or car on the 4th. I'm at Ashley river marina
I've got a reservation at City Marina (I hope they dont stick me on the far end of MEGA dock again). My float plan has me arriving on the 3rd and leaving again on the 5th. I imagine the 4th will be spent endulging in american inspired rum drinks and all things Freedom to celebrate our Nation's birthday.

Me and my motley crew (consisting of high spirited mother and sailing former boss) will be with me but we are certainly up for making plans about town and hanging with other sailors if you're up for it (and us haha). We're a fun bunch.

Where is the best place to view the fireworks from? Is the marina good or is there a particular spot to anchor thats best? I figured boat traffic wont be tooooooo bad since the 4th is falling on Wednesday this year.

Cheers!
Old 20-06-2012, 07:51   #5

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

You guys are missing out on one of the gems of Charleston by staying at the Mega Dock. The Charleston Maritime Center is a great little marina. Cheaper than City/Ashley, walking distance to everything downtown, and has a beautiful view of the harbor. On top of that, it is directly across the river from the USS Yorktown, which hosts the July 4th firework display every year. The Maritime Center only has about 20-25 slips, so advanced reservations are recommended.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 15:55   #6

Boat: 34 Irwin
Mischief hey! City marina is a good place. I'm not to sure what you will see from there, you may have to anchor out to see it all. The GC has not put out the notice yet where we can anchor yet. Changes have been made to the fireworks plan. Using a barge this year not the Yorktown. I think I will be around Follys shot this year just depends. I have company that week but plans change! Fair winds on your trip down
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote