Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2018, 04:16   #1

3 week Bahamas itinarary

My wife and I have chartered a 40 foot catamaran for 3-weeks in September. We will be picking the boat up in Marsh Harbour and returning it there. We are not familiar with the Bahamas and are looking for advice on an itinarary.

Also, we have seen recommendations on getting the Explorer Charts, but it does not seem there is one book that covers all of the Bahamas?

Thanks for the help!
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:42   #2

Re: 3 week Bahamas itinarary

I have only been sailing once in the Abacos (last year with a friend) so I cant recommend a specific itinerary. But based on lots of other travel experience and the trip last year. I would not plan to go too far. There is so much to see and do and I no longer like to rush and try and see "everything". I found the explorer books to be very helpful and we never went far and enjoyed a great relaxing trip. I think if you purchase the Near Bahamas book it will cover plenty of area for you.

I am sure more knowledgeable people will give you better advice. Enjoy your trip.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:07   #3

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader

Most of what there is to see and do is located within 10 miles of Marsh Harbour. My first concern would be the limitations placed on the vessel's range by the cruising company. In other words, will "Moorings or Sunsail allow you to cruise outside a specific area. Once your cruising ground is determined, you can begin to plan your stops. In the Abacos, much of what there is to see and do is within 10 miles of Marsh Harbour.
From Little Harbor in the south to Treasure Cay and other more desolate islands to the north, there are a multitude of anchorages to keep your interest. Go to Bahamas Cruisers Guide for a complete listing of where to go and what to do. Travel north and west from Marsh Harbour, requires leaving the Sea of Abaco and sailing out into the Atlantic Ocean and back through Whale Cay Cut which is very weather dependent. you may easily make the passage north only to find out that upon your return, the weather has turned requiring you to wait a day or a week to transit the passage again.
It is a lovely area to sail, anchor and just be a tourist even though it appears to a bit confining.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Explorer Chartbook Near Bahamas includes detailed Gulf Stream Crossing routes plus small- and large-scale charts of the Abacos (your locale), the Biminis, the Berrys, Grand Bahama, New Providence, and Andros.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:23   #5

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

It really depends on whether you want to sail all day, every day, or just explore, fish and dive using the boat as a hotel. Day sailing inside the barrier islands on the Sea of Abaco is fun, and allows you to visit each island. I like to snorkel and spearfish, so I usually work my way north to Grand Cay. You can run the zodiac to shore and visit the reefs on the Atlantic side. And a day or two at Treasure Cay beach is a must.

Check out each cay as you run north, then spend a few days sailing on the Little Bahama Bank.

Go south to Little Harbor and you can run offshore for some bluewater sailing, or head down to Eleuthera. And buy the Dodge Crusing Guide now to read and plan your trips.

September will still be very hot, mornings are typically calm and great for diving, then the afternoon sea breeze will kick in and provide for some fast sailing conditions. You can easily spend a week in and around Marsh, a week north of Treasure and a week south of Marsh.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:37   #6

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

We have not been to the Abacos yet, as we are coming up from the south. Berry Islands great if you like solitude and fishing. Spanish wells in Eleuthera is very fun, cheap golf cart rentals, bars, beaches, etc. Exumas was nice as well last time we were there. All relatively close to Abacos.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jentine View Post
Most of what there is to see and do is located within 10 miles of Marsh Harbour. My first concern would be the limitations placed on the vessel's range by the cruising company. In other words, will "Moorings or Sunsail allow you to cruise outside a specific area. Once your cruising ground is determined, you can begin to plan your stops. In the Abacos, much of what there is to see and do is within 10 miles of Marsh Harbour.
From Little Harbor in the south to Treasure Cay and other more desolate islands to the north, there are a multitude of anchorages to keep your interest. Go to Bahamas Cruisers Guide for a complete listing of where to go and what to do. Travel north and west from Marsh Harbour, requires leaving the Sea of Abaco and sailing out into the Atlantic Ocean and back through Whale Cay Cut which is very weather dependent. you may easily make the passage north only to find out that upon your return, the weather has turned requiring you to wait a day or a week to transit the passage again.
It is a lovely area to sail, anchor and just be a tourist even though it appears to a bit confining.
We don’t seem to have any significant restrictions. Specifically, we are allow to visit the Exumas.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:21   #8

Boat: Boatless

Sail straight down to Georgetown, and I mean straight as in non stop, then work your way back up slowly.

That gives you a little “offshore lite” experience and you’ll enjoy generally favorable winds all the way back.

The Exumas are my favorite but anytime you get tired of them you can be back at Marsh in 25 hours.
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:33   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Sail straight down to Georgetown, and I mean straight as in non stop, then work your way back up slowly.

That gives you a little “offshore lite” experience and you’ll enjoy generally favorable winds all the way back.

The Exumas are my favorite but anytime you get tired of them you can be back at Marsh in 25 hours.
Great advice. Particularly in light of the mid-hurricane season.

Also, you may very well be going downwind all the way back to M.H.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:36   #10

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Are you comfortable offshore? That time of year, nearly anyplace you visit will be nearly empty of other boats, though in the Abacos you will see more sport fishermen around then. If you like offshore, you could, indeed, head straight to George Town and work your way back up. But 3 weeks is pretty short.

If you're on a cat, you might do the inside passage at high tide if going around the whale is an issue, and the northern islands are enchanting in general and great for snorkeling and fishing/lobstering specifically, if that's your thing.

Lobster season will be open if you're good free divers, but much can be taken from 10' or less. If you're just interested in sightseeing, this, as mentioned, is an ideal time, as the water is usually calm in the AM; you may get to see waterspouts and certainly are likely to experience afternoon thunderstorms, but both are transitory; we use the squalls to fill our water tanks with the sweetest, softest water ever (after first rinsing the deck, of course).

The Near Bahamas Explorer Chart will be all you'd need if you stuck to the Abacos; were it I, and I only had 3 weeks, that's what I'd do. I say that from having been to GT twice, done the harbours of Eleuthera, explored Cat and the other Exumas smaller islands, and even some Berrys - but that was with no schedule.

Explore the communities in Abaco - Foxtown, Grand Cay, Cooperstown, Hopetown (don't miss the lighthouse), Man 'O' War, Lubbers Quarters, Little Harbour, and, of course, Marsh Harbour. Do your provisioning at Maxwell's, similar in scope to most large US groceries, albeit at about a 50% premium, and some difficulty getting really fresh packaged veggies (i.e. Dole, etc.), but local veggies are also available and delicious.

With a cat (presumed what you'll be renting) you can get into nearly anywhere (we draw 7' and have no issues, but of course can't get where cats can when it goes shallow). We anchor well out to avoid the bugs, anyway, so we don't care...

Enjoy the trip! But if you're going to go outside the Abacos, if the charter company doesn't give you the Explorer books, you should have them. They are absolutely right on and if you're on the magenta line, you will never find the bottom. I can't say that about electronic charts, Navionics especially; we have them but use our paper for routing and shallower waters...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:44   #11

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet

I just spent a month sailing from the turks and caicos to freeport and have no reason to think that the abacos will be much different. the best advice i can share is take your time and enjoy. its not overly developed. the water and beaches are remarkably beautiful. spearfishing, diving for lobster and conch, and swimming with nurse sharks is simply incredible. its what the caribbean should be but is not. fair winds and following seas
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:12   #12

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

I agree that with 3 weeks, I'd stay in the Abacos. The Exumas are wonderful, but you're going to spend a lot of time getting there and getting back to Marsh Harbour.

Definitely get the Explorer Chartbook Near Bahamas. Get on Active Captain online - great anchorage info. Get Navionics for an Ipad for planning. When you're there, listen on VHF channel 68 at 8:15AM for the cruiser net. Will tell you what's happening around the Abacos.

Here's what I'd do - this list is for about 2 weeks worth of activities. This is loosely a circle, starting and finishing in Marsh Harbor. Fill in with other interesting things you see along the way. That way, if weather causes delays you can still return in time to Marsh Harbor.

Provision at Maxwells for groceries and Bristols for beer/booze, relax and have a meal close by that day

Head east to Fowl Cay. Lovely huge coral formations for snorkel.

Anchor near Man O War. Explore Man O War.

Sail to Hopetown/Elbow Cay. Go to the top of the lighthouse. Explore the lovely town.

Sail south. Stop at Tahiti Beach...it dries at low tide. Usually a "food truck/boat" there for swim up burgers/drinks.

Still southbound. Stop at Sandy Cay at dive moorings - snorkel coral gardens - lovely!

South to Little Harbor. Visit Pete's Pub. Tour the metal works. Walk to the old lighthouse ruins.

Maybe sail out the cut at Little Harbor to head north and do a little offshore fishing? Come back in a few hours later at N. Bar Channel.

Head west - anchor at Snake Cay on the east shore of Great Abaco. Dinghy inside the mangrove area. Do a "drift snorkel"....turtles, etc.

Anchor near Tiloo Cay - walk out on the huge sandbar in knee deep water with your favorite beverage and relax.

Heading north, lots of choices - pass Marsh Harbor unless you need to reprovision.

Treasure Cay - explore the town. Explore the mangroves via dinghy. Green turtles!

Great Guana Cay - visit Nippers and others. Rent a golf cart if you like to explore the island.

Sail around the north tip of Guana - absolutely the best snorkeling in the Atlantic side - offshore across from the "house with the water slide". Take your dinghy over to the reef and just drift with it - holding onto the painter.

Go thru the "Whale" assuming conditions are good - likely in the summer.

Go to No Name Cay for to see the pigs....

North to Green Turtle Cay. Visit New Plymoth - lovely town and historic. Get conch salad made for you on the dock.

Visit White and Black sounds on Green Turtle. Pineapples beach bar is fun too.

North to Manjack Cay. Friendly local couple maintains the marked trails. Spend several hours hiking. Take your dinghy to the mangroves.

Around the tip of Manjack Cay - around Nunjack Rocks - anchor and swim ashore. Take some meat with you and you can feed the rays with your hands.

Further North to Powell Cay - lovely - trails.

Maybe head east to Cooperstown - not a tourist town - but we had a nice cheap local meal at Richie's.

You could head further north to Pensacola Cay for a lovely desolate visit....but it's probably time to head back south to Marsh Harbor by now.

Have fun!
Old 04-07-2018, 11:19   #13

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421

The Explorer guide charts (only) are also available for digital download. We used them on iNavX on an iPad. Great backup.
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 14:31   #14

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyH View Post
I just spent a month sailing from the turks and caicos to freeport and have no reason to think that the abacos will be much different. the best advice i can share is take your time and enjoy. its not overly developed. the water and beaches are remarkably beautiful. spearfishing, diving for lobster and conch, and swimming with nurse sharks is simply incredible. its what the caribbean should be but is not. fair winds and following seas
You weren’t taking lobster in the Bahamas in the last month, right?
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 17:03   #15

Boat: C&C

Follow the advice of "karenmccraw" above and you'll have the best vacation ever!
Do the Exumas next time but leave out of Palm Cay Marina [near Nassau]after dealing with the charter company there. They have both mono's and cats. Can't remember their name though? I'm sure someone else will pipe up with it.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas