Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 12:30   #31

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: 2013 hurricane season forecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
so what you are saying is if they say it is going to be a bad year,in reality it has a 9 out of 10 chance of being worse than predicted!
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 13:18   #32

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: 2013 hurricane season forecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
...My guess is any one of us could be as accurate by simply predicting 15............ :>) ....
I'm saying there will be about 15 named storms this year. It could range from say, 9 to 20 something. Some will be weaker than others. Most will start near Africa, hit the Caribe islands before encountering the US SE coast line and then move onshore. Fl usually gets hit more than once and this year will very likely be more of the same. Places hit will suffer storm surge and higher than normal winds. Home owners in the path of a storm will once again buy a bunch of plywood. One would think all East Coast homes would already have pre-measured/cut storm windows but no...

These are my official predictions for the 2013 season. I am from California and have been to Sedona, AZ so I base my comments on both good and bad vibrations I receive.

To buttress this, note that the article ends with: "Can any rational person look at these facts and not understand that what happens is nature? In fact, the question should be Why haven't these storms happened? The answer is that there is an entire set of storms that is not yet complete. This has been with us since the earth evolved to the way it is now and will continue. These storms will happen, as the set will be completed, as nature intended."

Crapset theory for normal people

Oh dear. Per the above reasoning and Venn Diaphragm, there is a set of storms in nature. And the set is incomplete. But nature intends the set to be completed.

I admire DonL for letting us know he is no expert. I would like to announce to one and all that I ain't no genius, particularly when it comes to women and set theory. I submit, however, that the useful/less quotient would not change if one were to substitute the 3 letter word "God" for the 6 letter "nature", especially when we all know that God is known to be mean, angry, and vengeful among other attributes, and nature is beautiful, peaceful, motherly. And God don't need no stinkin' set theory.

I prefer to think of these storms as random, and not the apparently random
chaos that isn't random at all. Random random: A gazillion hot breaths of fire come off the African continent. A few accelerate a particular wave pattern formed in x degree water. That utter randomness may develop into a storm but probably will not, because.....(wait for it...)....: It's random, like every other event on this here roundish rock.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:49   #33
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

There could be 45 named storms this year!!!

It depends on what they want to "name". Ten years ago they named fewer.... Let alone the very few they would have named fifty years ago.

It blew 22 knots here yesterday. I think it's an early storm that should have been named Weiner...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:57   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I'm saying there will be about 15 named storms this year. It could range from say, 9 to 20 something. Some will be weaker than others. Most will start near Africa, hit the Caribe islands before encountering the US SE coast line and then move onshore. Fl usually gets hit more than once and this year will very likely be more of the same. Places hit will suffer storm surge and higher than normal winds. Home owners in the path of a storm will once again buy a bunch of plywood. One would think all East Coast homes would already have pre-measured/cut storm windows but no...

These are my official predictions for the 2013 season. I am from California and have been to Sedona, AZ so I base my comments on both good and bad vibrations I receive.

To buttress this, note that the article ends with: "Can any rational person look at these facts and not understand that what happens is nature? In fact, the question should be Why haven't these storms happened? The answer is that there is an entire set of storms that is not yet complete. This has been with us since the earth evolved to the way it is now and will continue. These storms will happen, as the set will be completed, as nature intended."

Crapset theory for normal people

Oh dear. Per the above reasoning and Venn Diaphragm, there is a set of storms in nature. And the set is incomplete. But nature intends the set to be completed.

I admire DonL for letting us know he is no expert. I would like to announce to one and all that I ain't no genius, particularly when it comes to women and set theory. I submit, however, that the useful/less quotient would not change if one were to substitute the 3 letter word "God" for the 6 letter "nature", especially when we all know that God is known to be mean, angry, and vengeful among other attributes, and nature is beautiful, peaceful, motherly. And God don't need no stinkin' set theory.

I prefer to think of these storms as random, and not the apparently random
chaos that isn't random at all. Random random: A gazillion hot breaths of fire come off the African continent. A few accelerate a particular wave pattern formed in x degree water. That utter randomness may develop into a storm but probably will not, because.....(wait for it...)....: It's random, like every other event on this here roundish rock.

Loada rubbish... its the Flutter by's....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:59   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
There could be 45 named storms this year!!!

It depends on what they want to "name". Ten years ago they named fewer.... Let alone the very few they would have named fifty years ago.

It blew 22 knots here yesterday. I think it's an early storm that should have been named Weiner...

planning on spending the hurricane season in sxm this year mark?
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:22   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

isnt always the number of storms but the number of HITS the storms make on the coast...there can be many storms that do n0t affect the coast but do affect the sailing across big bodies of water....look out ireland, you will be able to grow many shamrocks this growing season....mebbe......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:32   #37

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Loada rubbish... its the Flutter by's....
Just as likely.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forecast, hurricane