Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2023, 05:32   #1

1 week BVI itinerary over Thanksgiving

Finally chartered a boat for a week out of Road Town (small monohull) starting the day after Thanksgiving 2023. BVI Yacht Charters looks to be within a short walk from a couple grocery stores, and we are staying aboard in the marina the first night, since we get in on the last ferry, so should have some time. Will likely shop some and get some supplies from local outfits.

We are both active, and oddly enough really like to sail, and also swim/snorkel, and hike. We value solitude and scenery very highly, and want to avoid marinas as much as possible, have zero interest in anything related to shopping, but wouldn't mind having a meal or two on shore (but that's not necessary).

Suggestions for an itinerary?

Thanks much...
Spokey Doke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 07:02   #2

Re: 1 week BVI itinerary over Thanksgiving

Friday Day 1: the caves, overnight Norman island bight

SaturdayDay 2: Wreck alley, overnight cooper bay for happy hour n tank exchange

Sunday, Day 3: Baths with overnight virgin Garda sound

Monday, Day 4: sail to Anegada. Go ashore n rent scooter at anagada amazing rental pink house

Anegada for another day.???

Tuesday, Day 5: sail to the dogs and dive a site there . Move to lee bay (secret spot) or Ghana island and overnight in white bay: you could also anchor at Cam bay and eat at Donovan’s at scrub island marina,,, There is a pastry shop for breakfast!!!

Day 5 alternative: sail to Brandy wine bay and eat at brandy wine restraint!!!!!!

Wednesday Day 6: sail to salt island and dive the wreck Inganess Bay or vanishing rock. Leave boat at salt island bay . Return to TMM for clean up and dinner
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 07:02   #3

that is from some notes I have taken from my other trips to BVI. I think it represents a fun week but Note: I scuba dive. Best of luck
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 07:24   #4

Just FYI: We found it helpful to do the bulk of our provisioning ahead of time and have it delivered to the marina: https://www.bobbyssupermarket.com/provisioning/

We did walk to the store but just for a few last minute things.

Our itinerary was much less ambitious
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 07:32   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Make 2 iteneraries - clockwise and counterclockwise. Be willing to change plans on the fly with changes in the weather.

Groceries can be ordered online, and the big grocery store is just a short walk from your base.

First day will be a late start, so a goal close by is preferred. That would be Cooper Island (mooring balls, no anchoring, restaurant ashore, good snorkeling, calm) or The Bight on Norman Island (mooring balls galore, Willy-T or Pirates (Willie-T is a party boat/bar)) or perhaps the anchorage on Peter Island with one place ashore. After that you have

A) Clockwise, go around the east end (Soper's Hole) and sail to Jost van Dyke. There you have White Bay with a nice beach and the home of the Painkiller and take a mooring in Great Harbour. Or head to Diamond Cay with Foxy's Taboo and my favorite bar, the B-Line.

B)
Old 30-01-2023, 08:00   #6

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokey Doke View Post

Suggestions for an itinerary?

Thanks much...
Don't make an itinerary, that is my main suggestion. If you stick to it, you miss opportunities to do what strikes you in the moment, and if you make it and don't stick to it, then you've wasted a lot of time for nothing.

Do stop for a visit at Marina Cay (next to Great Camanoe) - its a magical place, IMO. The Bathes are cool too, but skip it if it is crowded. Otherwise, just sail and sail until you had enough, then pick the nearest anchorage, they are all nice.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 08:22   #7

Oops, my message got lost.

B (counterclockwise) would take you to the Baths on Virgin Gorda (if you get there early enough), from there either to Long Bay (anchoring only, nothing ashore, beautiful) or Savannah Bay (most likely red-lined in the charter contrct) or to the North Sound. The North sound is protected in North swells and has several great anchorages.

From the North sound you can head to Anegada (not worthwhile with your short charter) or downwind on the windward side to Diamond Cay or Jost van Dyke Great Harbour.

Counterclockwise is easier, since the upwind legs are done in the protected Sir Francis Drake channel.

The mooring fields now have first-come-first-served plus the "Boaty-Ball" reserved moorings which you do online.
Old 30-01-2023, 09:49   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
Don't make an itinerary, that is my main suggestion. If you stick to it, you miss opportunities to do what strikes you in the moment, and if you make it and don't stick to it, then you've wasted a lot of time for nothing.

Do stop for a visit at Marina Cay (next to Great Camanoe) - its a magical place, IMO. The Bathes are cool too, but skip it if it is crowded. Otherwise, just sail and sail until you had enough, then pick the nearest anchorage, they are all nice.
Ha! I like this line of thinking...but we'll likely sketch a couple as frameworks for getting familiar with our options, and not have to spend too much time with the guidebook each day.

I think one of my favorite parts is asking mid-coffee every morning, "So...what do you want to do today?". Check the weather and forecast and our notes and make a plan (or two...including "Let's sail")...
Spokey Doke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 12:01   #9

I think it largely depends on your "style" of traveling... We usually make a plan in advance, but then never stick to it and instead go with the flow...
We went counter-clock wise, we did Norman, Peter, Copper, Ginger etc., but then we liked Virgin Gorda so much that we spent two extra days there (maybe too long, but we really enjoyed it...), and then we loved the Dogs, Guana, and Camanoe, so at the end we never even made it to Jost Van Dyke; but that is the way we often do, we tend to spend more time where we like, rather than trying to see everything in our list...
I think Anegada is too far for a week charter, you would be missing so many other places that are a must see (besides, some charter companies "discourage" or even prohibit charterers to go to Anegada).
We never stayed at marinas, but we used the mooring balls most nights (they are readily available and very well organized, even in uncrowded areas like Guana).
There are great restaurants in most places, easily reachable by dinghy, hard to resist not to try them...
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 17:21   #10

Boat: Lagoon TPI

Good luck with the solitude! Every thanksgiving we spent in the bvi we were met by the “Amanda” from Puerto Rico. Literally any thing that floats comes over. Crowded anchorages become overcrowded. Raft up of 10 boats common. Maybe plan/start your day earlier than mid morning coffee to ensure a spot at the anchorage of your choice.
old pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 20:02   #11

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by old pirate View Post
Good luck with the solitude! Every thanksgiving we spent in the bvi we were met by the “Amanda” from Puerto Rico. Literally any thing that floats comes over. Crowded anchorages become overcrowded. Raft up of 10 boats common. Maybe plan/start your day earlier than mid morning coffee to ensure a spot at the anchorage of your choice.

Can you clarify what this means? I would have thought less charterers during “low season”
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 03:21   #12

Once a year the Purto Rican "Navy" comes to the BVI. As @old_pirate states, they fill up many anchorages. Mostly powerboats, few sailboats and only for a couple of days. This happens in April, not at thanksgiving.

Tags
BVI