Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:19   #31

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Just like BoatUS and SEA//TOW, your own boat insurance has a provision for towing and will pay any tower that provides you with the service. The advantage of BoatUS and SEA//TOW is that if you have their insurance and call one of their franchised servers, you don't have to pay the bill and then wait for reimbursment.
As for the matter of one having better coverage in an area than another, REMEMBER that they are another form of insurance company and will pay the cost of the tow to another company should they not be able to provide the service.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:35   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Would you feel comfortable WITHOUT towing coverage with a 4'6" draft cruising the entire ICW and never exploring outside the "ditch" channel?"
Yes, but considering the fuel cost for driving the bus all the way on the ICW anyway, what's another $100? (Yeah, I know.) As long as you have current charts and you're REAL comfortable with your ability to navigate and keep out of the shoals...OK, maybe $100 does buy a batch of nice steaks and drinks instead. :-)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:16   #33

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
I purchased Tow boat US a couple days ago and am very comfortable about my $135 decision.

Thank you everyone for your help.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:54   #34

Boat: Boatless
Towing insurance is the best value in boating...

I lost my steering off Fajardo Puerto Rico with 9 Sea Scouts on board in 25 knots of wind. We rigged the emergency tiller but had SeaTow standby at the marina entrance. 100ft from a $5,000,000 boat the steering jammed and SeaTow prevented me from hitting the big boat!!

My 30 ton boat would have put a very expensive hole in that boat and my deductable is $6,000

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:01   #35

Boat: islandpacket
I just finished the ICW for my first time. I found it narrow and shallow at places. Had to search around for it and at places went from 10 ft to 2 ft in just a few feet out of channel, it does move around a bit and the current in some places was incredible. I will watch the tide charts more carefully next trip. We did run aground several times but were able to get off easily. Some stretches were along way from a tow. I am glad I had the insurance.
Old 08-01-2010, 13:11   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Can't recommend Boat/US enough!.. In a situation too embarrasing to admit to I used their services in the ICW in GA - They were prompt, courteous and after all was said and done, I received a (unsolicited!) refund of my deductable (previously paid to the operator during the assist) stating that with unlimited coverage, I was not subject to the deductable.

I have maintained their coverage for many years; every year during renewal time, I'd ask myself why keep paying this - it's for powerboats (in our area, it is usually fishing guys that run out of gas) etc - So glad I kept the coverage!

Fair winds!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw