Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 14:10   #1

Boat: Catalina 22
Question Torqueedo for a Catalina 22?

I need a new engine for my 2,500 pound Catalina 22 and am thinking about a Torqueedo Cruise 6 or a Tohatsu 6 HP long shaft. Does anyone have experience with either? Opinions please? Thanks in advance,
cpkuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 18:19   #2

Boat: Com-Pac 16/2
Re: Torqueedo for a Catalina 22?

It's a matter of preference, really. If you want to spend 2x for the Torqueedo, go for it.

I have a 3.5 Tohatsu for my Compac 16, and it's gotten me out of weather and back to the dock after dark, but there's something to be said for simplicity.

I like the idea of having a generator on board for backup. It depends on your sailing grounds. Mine include the lakes and coast. Electric should be fine, but in a nasty sea...
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 19:54   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpkuber View Post
I need a new engine for my 2,500 pound Catalina 22 and am thinking about a Torqueedo Cruise 6 or a Tohatsu 6 HP long shaft. Does anyone have experience with either? Opinions please? Thanks in advance,
Long ago I had a Cat-22 and used various small outboards on her, sailing in SF Bay and coastally between SF and the Channel Islands and once in the Canadian Gulf islands. The only one that seemed to have enough thrust to deal with headwinds and chop was a Johnson 6 that was pretty old when I bought it in ~1970. It was a standard shaft and a long shaft would have been better in a chop, plus modern outboards are far more reliable and arguably deliver more real HP compared to the label on the cover! the smaller ones that I used, ranging from 2 to 4.5 hp were inadequate for my usage. I think your Tohatsu would be an excellent choice. I don't like the thought of one's "get home" engine relying upon batteries that can go flat after an hour or two of heavy usage. A six gallon outboard tank has quite a long run time stored up!

Jim
Old 23-01-2022, 05:10   #4

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I have a friend with a Torqueedo on his 33' daysailer and it works great for him.

I think the biggest thing to consider - as long as cost is not the issue - is how far you normally need to motor.

The gas will of course take you much much further than you can get on electric. But if all you need is to get away from the dock or the boat ramp and then you can sail it would be great. Not having to worry about storing gas or whether the outboard is going to start is a nice bonus.

With the Torqueedo you may need to upgrade your battery setup, and batteries are heavier than gas. But how much battery you need depends on how far you have to go of course. And a 2 battery setup is not too much weight on a C22. You may already have that ?

I would also consider how far you're going to sail and if you might need to get back quickly. If you had to get home against the wind or current the gas might be a better choice then.

It's really an equation that you just need to plug in your numbers so to speak, and then you'll have your answer !

Old 23-01-2022, 19:06   #5

Boat: Catalina 22

Thank you everyone for your helpful answers! We sail on California mountain lakes and "might" take it out to the central coast or the San Juan Islands. I think it would probably be ok for the lakes, but I am concerned about the coastal and islands with the currents. I have read on the Catalina 22 facebook page that a gentleman has one on his up in Howe Sound, but that too is pretty protected. I'll share your info with the captain - and let you know what we decide. Thanks again!
cpkuber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina