Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2012, 05:21   #1

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Wink Yat Marine-Marmaris

Hi we have just checked into the new KAS marina. We have been told that we have to purchase a Blue Card for €20.00. We refused and said we shall look up the rules and regs first and then get back to them.

We were then informed that 16 yachts in Yat Marine had just been fined 9000 tl each as they did not have a blue card.

Questions= Is that true (the fines)....Do we have to purchase a blue card.

Thanks in advance

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:27   #2

Boat: dufour 30
Re: Yat Marine-Marmaris

Hi from turkey.
blue card is just for turkish boats, not for foreign boats and I bought it from marmaris netzel marina just for 20 tl. this is definetly true.
for foreign boats there is a declaration paper when your deposits take out by the marina, it will write on it.
the fine 9000 tl is impossible for not taking blue card. it just can be if a boat take out the deposits from the tank to the sea in a bay, close to the seaside 3 nm.
have a nice trip in turkey.
hurryzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:09   #3

Exclamation Re: Yat Marine-Marmaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryzone View Post
Hi from turkey.
blue card is just for turkish boats, not for foreign boats and I bought it from marmaris netzel marina just for 20 tl. this is definetly true.
for foreign boats there is a declaration paper when your deposits take out by the marina, it will write on it.
the fine 9000 tl is impossible for not taking blue card. it just can be if a boat take out the deposits from the tank to the sea in a bay, close to the seaside 3 nm.
have a nice trip in turkey.
Hello,

How WRONG your information is.

FACT= Every yacht in Turkish water HAS to have a blue card- it IS the law.

Peter
Old 02-08-2012, 11:37   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I was told that it had been suspended until 2014
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:43   #5

Talking Re: Yat Marine-Marmaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I was told that it had been suspended until 2014
Well according to all the info that I have received it is being rapidly persued and they ar now checking boats for the Blue Card.

We have ours now so no worries.

Peter
Old 02-08-2012, 17:35   #6

Boat: dufour 30

hi, before write to you, I controlled the knowledge about blue card from the web of amateur sailor's federation in turkey, because of responsibility of writing the reality. I read the same, blue card is just for turkish boats. I didn't read the law but I will ask a friend who is a lawyer. I don't think the law is as you said or as they fallow at antalya region. I don't want to give a wrong knowledge to you. it seems to buy a blue card is better at that situation as you did. this system is in a big mess now. nobody knows what's going on. have a nice trip.
hurryzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 19:40   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

it’s a mess for sure- i have checked in and out of Turkey 4 times this year and sailed all through Goechec, Fetihee and Kas and no one has asked for my card-(that i don’t have) I have seen the Golettes using the pump outs in Kas but have not seen anyone being stopped- I’m on my way home now so it matters not to me- but I hope they sort it out soon ! Keep us informed as to whats happening ! We have a member here who owns a Yacht charting Biz in Marmris how could help to clear it up ..perhaps?
Old 02-08-2012, 23:16   #8

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
Hi we have just checked into the new KAS marina. We have been told that we have to purchase a Blue Card for €20.00. We refused and said we shall look up the rules and regs first and then get back to them.

We were then informed that 16 yachts in Yat Marine had just been fined 9000 tl each as they did not have a blue card.

Questions= Is that true (the fines)....Do we have to purchase a blue card.

Thanks in advance

Peter
Peter,

Not to minimize the Blue Card Scheme, but this is the best "story" I have heard from some people at Yat Marin since the story told about the "Poopy Copters." That story goes that Turkey has some special helicopters hovering above anchorages looking for brown spots. The copter lands and I assume the copter drivers swim out to the offending "brown spotter" and issues a citation for thousands of TL. I really felt embarrassed when I was the only one laughing when this was seriously described at a "captain's meeting" at Yat Marin. To save personal embarrassment, I did not return to any other "captain's meetings" at Yat Marin. Oh, Judy attended the "ladies coffee" which was held at the same time as the "captain's meeting" and was told the same thing. I assume that the ladies at Yat Marin cannot be captains?

The bottom line of the stories originating from Yat Marin is that there are some great story tellers at Yat Marin who have a lot of time on their hands.

I will go to the Yat Marin office today and check out the 16 boats at 9,000TL story and let you know.

Best to Claire

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:35   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bill the story about the choppers has some truth in it-- I was there and can tell you about 5 years ago I stayed at Yat marine & at the Anchorage near PuPa and every day while I was there 1 month on the hook a military helicopter would fly over us so close as to sometimes make ripples on the water presumable looking for offenders- while i have no knowledge of any being cited the choppers were real and they were harassing folks in my opinion- Now the storey goes that Yat marine did not "pay" let’s say a bribe to the right officials that’s why this was going on-now it not happening at all - in fact I did notice military chopper going around the bay not across it this year as i suspect they have orders to avoid the area as long as the payoff continues
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Peter,

Not to minimize the Blue Card Scheme, but this is the best "story" I have heard from some people at Yat Marin since the story told about the "Poopy Copters." That story goes that Turkey has some special helicopters hovering above anchorages looking for brown spots. The copter lands and I assume the copter drivers swim out to the offending "brown spotter" and issues a citation for thousands of TL. I really felt embarrassed when I was the only one laughing when this was seriously described at a "captain's meeting" at Yat Marin. To save personal embarrassment, I did not return to any other "captain's meetings" at Yat Marin. Oh, Judy attended the "ladies coffee" which was held at the same time as the "captain's meeting" and was told the same thing. I assume that the ladies at Yat Marin cannot be captains?

The bottom line of the stories originating from Yat Marin is that there are some great story tellers at Yat Marin who have a lot of time on their hands.

I will go to the Yat Marin office today and check out the 16 boats at 9,000TL story and let you know.

Best to Claire

Bill
Old 03-08-2012, 02:17   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Wow, I feel sorry for you guys. What a hassle.

In the English Channel, everyone just discharges directly overboard, both on the French and on the English side, at sea, inshore, and in harbors. Most boats don't even have holding tanks; I have never seen a pumpout on the French side.

The RYA (I believe) commissioned a huge study which proved that because of "tidal flushing", the environmental impact of black water discharge from yachts in tidal estuaries is zilch.

It's admirable to want to make the oceans cleaner, but do yachts really have an impact? I appreciate that the Aegean is not tidal, and so the problem may be more acute there, but do all the Turkish villages on the Aegean shore treat their sewage? I bet not. Even one sewage outfall from one village will have a greater impact than the entire fleet of yachts in the entire Aegean Sea. Picking on yachts seems to me like a highly inefficient way to deal with water quality.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:22   #11

rivonia, I would tend to believe hurryzone and not marina staff. hurryzone is local, marina staff might be misinformed or have their own agenda. For example, one marina on Bodrum peninsula, Palmalife, has been threatening huge fines for not having the blue card for over a year now, whereas we know that the scheme has been pushed back a few times.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:58   #12

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The RYA (I believe) commissioned a huge study which proved that because of "tidal flushing", the environmental impact of black water discharge from yachts in tidal estuaries is zilch.

It's admirable to want to make the oceans cleaner, but do yachts really have an impact?
Generally speaking the environmental impact of black water discharge from yachts is negligeable, even in the med. After all, where do you think fish go to the bathroom...

What is however of some concern is possible health impacts. That is a good reason for not discharging in an anchorage where people swim. But discharging offshore is not a problem. That's what I did in Croatia last summer. When anchered the toilet flushes in to the holding tank, and then once off shore I would empty the tank overboard.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:35   #13

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac

When I was a little kid my wish was all the military helicopters of the world would be converted to patrolling for boats at anchor looking for someone pooping in the water. My wish has apparently come true here in Turkey. Oh but to be absolutely sure, could someone get some photos please? Not of the helicopters flying overhead, but of the landed helicopter and swimmers approaching the offending boat. Then I will celebrate.
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:34   #14

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Poopy Rumor*******Poopy Rumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Peter,

Not to minimize the Blue Card Scheme, but this is the best "story" I have heard from some people at Yat Marin since the story told about the "Poopy Copters." .....

I will go to the Yat Marin office today and check out the 16 boats at 9,000TL story and let you know......
Peter, et al,

I can report to you that there is not a single bit of truth in the rumor about 16 boats and 9,000TL fine. I checked it out and I checked it out, then I verified what I learned.

Let me make it clear with respect to the rumor about boats/blue card/Yat Marin:
  1. Zero boats were found to be in violation
  2. Zero boats were fined and
  3. ZeroTL fine was paid.

RAM: That helicopter still flies over that area on a daily basis...now, does that make it a poopy copter....Come on, I have some property you may be interested in.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:30   #15
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Poopy Rumor*******Poopy Rumor

RAM: That helicopter still flies over that area on a daily basis...now, does that make it a poopy copter....Come on, I have some property you may be interested in.

Bill[/QUOTE]

Bill-reread my post- I never said what the helicopter was looking for, my comment was only that it did fly over ,and very low - over the boats in anchorage and the marinas-we all just presumed it was looking for folks flushing toilets??- nearly as low as the masts on the boats, but it happened-and while it may still fly over I dont think its flying 100 feet over the water anymore!-- beleave it or not!