Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 14:53   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Yachting in Turkey in light of recent events.

In light of Turkish tanks and troops moving into Iraq, the Russian bomber incident, and Russian sanctions and fewer Russian tourists:

What has changed in your mind about Turkey?

Does anyone in Turkey notice any difference in atmosphere towards foreigners?

How may this impact yachting in Turkey?

Were Russians very big into yachting in Turkey?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:32   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Yachting in Turkey in light of recent events.

One recent yachting related article I could find this week reported:

" The boat tours in Halfeti, the bus route to Mount Nemrut in Adıyaman, were among the other sources of regional revenues hit by the decline in visitors."

Source:

Turkish tourism shot by clashes - The Journal of Turkish Weekly
Old 11-12-2015, 17:08   #3

Boat: between boats

Nothing has really changed for me - left my boat in Marmaris and will be back in May to cruise on. Personally I think cruising is one of the safer pastimes in most places anyway - your away from the real touristy hubs most of the time and out of harms way anchored off, as well as able to leave anywhere under your own steam if you so choose.

That was a comfort in the greek debt crisis this year where apparently the masses were rioting and tourists were running out of food if you believe the media

Having said that yes we saw alot of Russians chartering boats this summer and I guess at this stage they wont be back in the same numbers next year which will help some of those crowded anchorages for sure
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 20:36   #4
Marine Service Provider

Bara I tend to agree with you. I certainly avoid places the tourists are where I travel and as a result always feel more welcome.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:44   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I am in Turkey as I speak. We are spending the winter in Kusadasi. Nothing has changed nor will it. Turkey has been around for a long time - since Noah parked the ark here - and will continue on for a long time.
It has a first rate military, a stable government, and people who want to keep it that way.
It is safe and we have so far traveled to Istanbul by bus and will soon head to Ankara and other places including more visits to Istanbul

A great country and great people that is safer than most places on earth.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:14   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Turkey is an ISIS ally. Their support is covert but very real. Just looks at the incoming oil trucks. An American in that country is at risk and, as the Russian sanctions bite the environment may get much worse. Sailing may be better than in the Greek islands but the dangers are real.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Turkey is an ISIS ally. Their support is covert but very real. Just looks at the incoming oil trucks. An American in that country is at risk and, as the Russian sanctions bite the environment may get much worse. Sailing may be better than in the Greek islands but the dangers are real.
This post was brought to by the people at ....

Old 12-12-2015, 08:56   #8

Boat: FP Helia 44

We are currently in Turkey at Finike Marina, Turkey so far has been the highlight of the past two seasons. We have always felt safe and very welcomed by the locals.
The government doesn't appear overly popular with a number of local people we have spoken with but you get that in most countries, more complaints than praise.
There is also Russian cruisers staying here, although Putin has advised Russians to avoid sailing and visiting Turkey.
we will spend next summer in Turkey also .
Jeffrey Oc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:10   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Putin also claimed the Turks were buying oil from ISIS, but I wouldn't call him a reliable source either. Remember that the US is still buying oil from Venezuela, which is a lot less safe for cruisers than Turkey.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:49   #10

Boat: Oyster 55

Turkey's conflicts with ISIS and Russia probably won't affect cruisers unless it escalates into real war. Threats to cruisers can arise from pirates, petty thieves, and even random terrorists, such as the San Bernardino killings, anywhere in the world. A Turkish conflict with Greece would be much more significant for cruisers since the Aegean Sea is a premier cruising ground and a likely flashpoint in such a conflict. Personally, I would feel safe to cruise in Turkey today. The people I met while cruising from Marmaris to Kalkan were warm friendly people who were pleased to be doing business with any tourists.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 14:18   #11

Is a war zone safe?Is it safe to be hanging around a potential terrorist targeted area? How long do you want to live? Call up the US State Dept and ask their Turkish desk. Or just consult the CIA. Seriously. We sailed around Indochina(look it up) back in 1970 and had no problems, other than wakes from hotdogging US patrol boats.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 16:26   #12

No specific knowledge of the OP's original question: my guess is that a cruiser would have the same chance of serious problems as at any other time. I find it difficult to understand how the moderators of this forum don't come down like a thousand bricks on "Hoppys" snarky post.
douglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 16:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglong View Post
No specific knowledge of the OP's original question: my guess is that a cruiser would have the same chance of serious problems as at any other time. I find it difficult to understand how the moderators of this forum don't come down like a thousand bricks on "Hoppys" snarky post.
So you have been a member since 2011 and you have made 7 posts. And you choose to make a post prodding the ops to come down on the OP. Kind of strange that you would feel so motivated by the OP question that you would choose to make your less than 2 posts a year on this subject.

Can I respectfully ask, do you work for the Turkish Tourist Bureau?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 00:47   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post

This is one of the most outrageous postings I have ever seen on this forum. Dave22q you have no direct knowledge of what is going on over here or what is at stake. Turkey has as much to lose if not more from ISIS as anyone and maybe more. How would you know an American is at risk here -- ARE YOU HERE!!! I am and I am at greater risk in Florida where you are than I am here.
Turkey is a great country and just had an election that went overwhelmingly for the current government and I will not comment if it is good or bad as will not comment on the current USA election process. The people spoke and that is that.
The economy grew at 4% last quarter and unemployment is going away. If you want to have residence here you have to prove that you will not be a burden on the government unlike in the USA where when anyone can come in and get everything for free.
ISIS is a great threat to the Turkish government as it would like nothing better than disrupt it.
AND there is no real proof that the oil is coming to Turkey except on the left wing media and Putin and I actually read the other day that the ISIS oil is going to Syria.
We have sailed the Greek Islands and feel a lot safer in Turkey. Unless you have first hand knowledge your comments are worthless and you owe a huge apology to Turkey for your comments.

Sorry moderators I got carried away.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 02:27   #15

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
So you have been a member since 2011 and you have made 7 posts. And you choose to make a post prodding the ops to come down on the OP. Kind of strange that you would feel so motivated by the OP question that you would choose to make your less than 2 posts a year on this subject.

Can I respectfully ask, do you work for the Turkish Tourist Bureau?

Can I ask what someone's number of posts has to do with their right to comment? You sir have a post for almost every day as a CF member does that give you more credibility, don't believe that it does! When you actually get that Lagoon 56 that you are dreaming about maybe you'll be too busy to comment every day!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
events, Russia, Russian, Turkey, yacht