Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 04:30   #16

Boat: OneOff ketch, 48 ft, s/y Oceania
Dear Patrick,
Most of leasure boat marinas in Helsinki area cut off the running water for the winter periods, that is between November/December and April. Very few have arranged also possibilities to empty boats septitanks, if they have, then not during the winter. Still some skippers live on their boats, if they have suitable heating, electricity and water supply. Some skippers have arranged by themselves refills during the winter periods, like water and diesel.
City of Helsinki have some locations/marinas where at least a few skippers and even families live on board yeararound. These are controlled by the Port of Helsinki (www.portofhelsinki.fi/english) and the Sorts department (Liikuntavirasto).
However, i would recomment you to call first the commodor of my marina, mr Kari Rämä, tel +358503020548, or write to email kari_rama@aon.fi, as he is taking part of livingonboard commitees and is well informed about the current possibilites.
regards,
timo
TimoVilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:11   #17

Boat: "Tranquil" - '79 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoVilla View Post
Dear Patrick,
Most of leasure boat marinas in Helsinki area cut off the running water for the winter periods, that is between November/December and April. Very few have arranged also possibilities to empty boats septitanks, if they have, then not during the winter. Still some skippers live on their boats, if they have suitable heating, electricity and water supply. Some skippers have arranged by themselves refills during the winter periods, like water and diesel.
City of Helsinki have some locations/marinas where at least a few skippers and even families live on board yeararound. These are controlled by the Port of Helsinki (www.portofhelsinki.fi/english) and the Sorts department (Liikuntavirasto).
However, i would recomment you to call first the commodor of my marina, mr Kari Rämä, tel +358503020548, or write to email kari_rama@aon.fi, as he is taking part of livingonboard commitees and is well informed about the current possibilites.
regards,
timo
Thanks!
PatrickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 23:39   #18

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-m View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know if its possible to keep your boat in the water if you winter over in the Baltic? Or is that a silly idea?
We're thinking of going there next year and will probably take a couple of years to explore the area, but we're unsure what to do the winter in between.
Do we take the boat out somewhere, and fly home to the UK for the winter (kinda defeats the point of living onboard!), do we live onboard somewhere in the Baltic or is there an option 'c'- which we've not thought of yet?
Anyone have any experience of doing this?
Lots of local boats are in the water during the winter. Especially in the southern Baltic. We rarely see any ice here. Most of them don't use bubblers. I live aboard my boat for two years here. The last winter we had -17 centigrade and 1 foot of ice in the marina. I didn't use a bubbler, but it's not a problem. The ice won't damage the boat if you stay in a sheltered marina. The edges are smooth and compared to the GRP it's soft, it's like trying to scratch a piece of glass with a piece of plastic. As long as there aren't large chunks of ice moving around at high speed, you're safe. The big problem is fresh water though, which is usually shut off during winter, and the fact that a lot of marinas here don't like liveaboards. I could give you a small list of good marinas that keep open all year in or near the Baltic (Swedish and Danish sides), if you're interested.

/Hampus
Old 12-02-2009, 00:32   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
Lots of local boats are in the water during the winter. Especially in the southern Baltic. We rarely see any ice here. Most of them don't use bubblers. I live aboard my boat for two years here. The last winter we had -17 centigrade and 1 foot of ice in the marina. I didn't use a bubbler, but it's not a problem. The ice won't damage the boat if you stay in a sheltered marina. The edges are smooth and compared to the GRP it's soft, it's like trying to scratch a piece of glass with a piece of plastic. As long as there aren't large chunks of ice moving around at high speed, you're safe. The big problem is fresh water though, which is usually shut off during winter, and the fact that a lot of marinas here don't like liveaboards.
I have understood (possibly misunderstood) that thicker ice can put alot of pressure on the hull and that only steel hulls don't need bubblers/pumps and can stand up to thick ice.

???

Quote:
I could give you a small list of good marinas that keep open all year in or near the Baltic (Swedish and Danish sides), if you're interested.

/Hampus
Thanks for the offer. For now, I'm working on a solution in the Helsinki area, and making a some progress. If that falls through, I'll probably ping you for some alternatives.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
I have understood (possibly misunderstood) that thicker ice can put alot of pressure on the hull and that only steel hulls don't need bubblers/pumps and can stand up to thick ice.

???
Very thick ice could damage a hull, but the last time we saw that kind of ice in the southern baltic was 1986. Worst damages I've ever seen from ice is scratched anti fouling. Most common damage is frozen and cracked sea cocks, and frozen coolant in engine. Both would be huighly unlikely if you were to live aboard.

/Hampus
Old 12-02-2009, 02:15   #21

Quote:
Very thick ice could damage a hull, but the last time we saw that kind of ice in the southern baltic was 1986. Worst damages I've ever seen from ice is scratched anti fouling. Most common damage is frozen and cracked sea cocks, and frozen coolant in engine. Both would be huighly unlikely if you were to live aboard.

/Hampus
OK. Good to know. That's one less thing to worry about. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:17   #22

Quote:

/Hampus

Or perhaps I then need to verify that the same is true around Helsinki, which isn't in the southern Baltic, and may have more severe ice on average, enough to be something to worry about.

Fortunately, I won't be having a boat in the water through the winter until next winter, so I've got time to chat with the locals and get a clear picture of what I'll be dealing with.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:06   #23

Quote:

???

Thanks for the offer. For now, I'm working on a solution in the Helsinki area, and making a some progress. If that falls through, I'll probably ping you for some alternatives.
Quote:
Or perhaps I then need to verify that the same is true around Helsinki, which isn't in the southern Baltic, and may have more severe ice on average, enough to be something to worry about.

Fortunately, I won't be having a boat in the water through the winter until next winter, so I've got time to chat with the locals and get a clear picture of what I'll be dealing with.
The ice condition in the Sea of Bothnia and around Helsinki are more severe. They see ice there every year. Climate is colder and the salinity is way lower than in the southern parts.

/Hampus

Tags
baltic