Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2015, 09:26   #16

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190
Re: Wintering in northern Europe

Try Aqua delta Marina in Bruinessa (sp.) , Netherlands, the mussel capital of the world. Peter's Storm Bar has incredible food and ginever will make you not mind the cold. The people of Holland are fun and most speak at least five languages. They are also old school jazz aficionados and great sailors.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:34   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreiter190 View Post
Try Aqua delta Marina in Bruinessa (sp.) , Netherlands, the mussel capital of the world. Peter's Storm Bar has incredible food and ginever will make you not mind the cold. The people of Holland are fun and most speak at least five languages. They are also old school jazz aficionados and great sailors.
And I think weed and prostitution are legal.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:43   #18

Boat: 1965 Pearson Alberg 35 #190

Also hashish.
jreiter190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:28   #19

wayne b, assuming you're a non European resident, do you have a strategy for the Schengen 3 month visa limitation?
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:33   #20

Boat: Nauticat 32

I guess Finland qualifies as a northern European country, but all the marinas are frozen in the wintertime. You need a strong boat (e.g. steel) to overwinter here. You could try overwintering also on the hard, but you might need some extra heaters. :-)
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:55   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Denmark may be a good bet. I have no Idea about visa limitations? Anyplace in northern Europe according to the news, claim to be a Syrian refugee.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 12:44   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by serannity View Post
We wintered in the southern Netherlands (Yacht Haven Atlantica) one winter on the hard. Many boats were left in the water, but to my knowledge no one lived aboard.
Last winter we left the boat in Wisbech Marina in the water, 150 miles north of London; there were live-aboards there. Wisbech is an interesting town with a vibrant history that has fallen on hard times; it is convenient as a jumping off point to explore England, Wales and Scotland. It also was the most reasonably priced Marina we located.
We were happy with both locations, but left the boat and returned to the States for the winter both years.
There are issues, both for the individuals living aboard in Schengen countries (90 days in, then a 90 day exclusion) and for the boat (18 months with a possible 6 month extension). Great Briton is not a signatorie to Schengen.
We enjoyed Europe, best of luck!
I don't know what citizenship the OP has, but if it's not EU, then Schengen is something to consider. You can stay in the Schengen zone for only 90 days out of any 180. The UK, on the other hand, gives you 6 months at a time, if you are from a visa waiver country (like U.S., etc.).
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 12:54   #23

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

It is always possible to request a "long stay" visa (for more than 90 days) in any Schengen country. See for example Long stay visa for Visitors - Consulat général de France à Vancouver

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 01:18   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

For a mild climate in north Europe, I would go for West France or North Spain. Somewhere like La Rochelle, Roche Bernaud or Bordeaux where there are all year round livaboards, a reasonably lively town and one of the best climates in N Europe. Talk of the Baltic, Holland and Paris or even our 'mild' UK south coast makes me shiver with anticipated cold., not to mention the rain. Suggest you look at the climate statistics.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 01:37   #25

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

One place I did winter in mid 2000's was at hull Marina - Kingston upon Hull in nth east England really good Marina 2 hrs from London by train and far cheaper than sth east/west of uk
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 03:16   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
For a mild climate in north Europe, I would go for West France or North Spain. Somewhere like La Rochelle, Roche Bernaud or Bordeaux where there are all year round livaboards, a reasonably lively town and one of the best climates in N Europe. Talk of the Baltic, Holland and Paris or even our 'mild' UK south coast makes me shiver with anticipated cold., not to mention the rain. Suggest you look at the climate statistics.
We're still waiting to hear what the OP considers to be "Northern Europe", but I doubt anything South of Brest qualifies, and certainly not Spain.

That being said, those ports in Biscay are lovely

Concerning climate, however, you need to go much further South than La Rochelle to get a much different climate from the UK South Coast.

January average temp: Southampton 5 degrees; La Rochelle 6 degrees
January average rainfall: Southampton 81mm; La Rochelle 80mm.

Both very much the same Atlantic maritime climate, mild and wet, but much less rainy than subtropical places like Florida. Compare to, say, Boston, which is much further South, but average January temp -2 (ouch!) and average January precipitation 91mm.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:09   #27

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't know what citizenship the OP has, but if it's not EU, then Schengen is something to consider. You can stay in the Schengen zone for only 90 days out of any 180. The UK, on the other hand, gives you 6 months at a time, if you are from a visa waiver country (like U.S., etc.).
===

Thanks everyone, lots of good information to ponder. I'm a US citizen so the Schengen issues are something that I need to learn more about. Does the 90 day restriction apply to the entire zone or is it country by country? Other than the UK are there any other non-Schengen countries in northern Europe? How do others manage this issue?
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:14   #28

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===
Other than the UK are there any other non-Schengen countries in northern Europe?
Russia, Ireland and the Faroe Islands.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:23   #29

Boat: Cabo Rico NE 400

We spent one winter in St Katharine Docks (7 months). Highly recommended, but tough to get a firm commitment for just the winter. Hear say is that they want a year's contract these days
Last winter in Amsterdam at the newer Amsterdam Marina, very good spot, they even have bath tubs with a view of Amsterdam in the fascilities ... but boy it gets dark early during the winter.
Paris is another option, but one needs to apply the year before the winter you want to be there. We hope to be there winter 2016/17.
We have found our heating along with a dehumidifier made for comfortable living in both places.
Language is no problem in The Netherlands, Scandinavia, Belgium or France! Particularly Holland ... there comment is why would you want to speak Dutch!
Bon Chance
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 08:28   #30

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
I'm a US citizen so the Schengen issues are something that I need to learn more about. Does the 90 day restriction apply to the entire zone or is it country by country?
The principle of the Schengen space is free circulation within its outer borders: once you are inside, there are no more immigration checks. So, the 90 day limit is for the whole zone.

BUT, as I wrote before, it is possible to apply for a "long stay" visa in the country where you intend to stay for more than 90 days. As a US citizen, see for example Long stay visitor’s visa - Consulat général de France Ã* New York
Long stay visitor’s visa More than 90 days, valid for France only
Processing of long stay visas takes a minimum of 5 working days.

The French consulate will only accept applications from residents of the States of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Bermuda.
The Consular Administration has full authority to evaluate and request more documents than those submitted by the applicant. Obtaining a visa is not always guaranteed and does not in itself grant you the right to enter a French or Schengen territory. It is therefore necessary that you always carry with you the original documents used to obtain the visa.
Applicants must appear in person to submit their application.
Please submit the following in original and 1 copy, per applicant
ATTENTION The Visa Section does not make any photocopies. You must bring your documents and the required copies.
Requirements
A long stay application form and 1 passport photograph.
The form must be completely and legibly filled in with black or blue ink, signed and dated by the applicant. The photo must be recent and in color, passport size - 2" x 2" (4,5cm x 4,5cm) and showing the full face, the forehead hairline and ears on a white background.
Passport or travel document (+ 1 copy of the identity page and the validity of the passport) valid for at least three months following the last day of your stay in France. The validity of your passport cannot exceed 10 years from the date of first issuance. Make sure the passport has at least two blank pages left for visa purpose. Only these pages can be endorsed with the visa. Amendment pages can in no way be used for visas. (no long stay visa can be issued on a Refugee Travel Document or a Re-entry Permit).
NOTE: Your passport will not be kept during the processing of your application.
For non-US citizens
A U.S.A. residency card (Green Card) or I-551 stamp, or a valid U.S.A. visa with I-94 and IAP66 or I-20 were applicable or an Advanced Parole. (+ 1 copy) Individuals with a U.S.A. B1/B2 visa may not apply for a Long Stay Visitor Visa. (+ 1 copy)
FBI record
One O.F.I.I. form. Please only complete the top part refering to "Rubrique à remplir lors de la demande de visa". Make sure that the dates are stated in the order: day, month, year.
Please submit the following in original with 1 set of copies.
A letter of motivation explaining the purpose of your application for a long stay in France. (+ 1 copy)
A written statement from you, acknowledging that you will neither seek nor accept paid employment during your stay in France. (+ 1 copy)
Financial guarantee (+ 1 photocopy)
up-to-date bank statement showing that you have sufficient means to live in France (with the bank balance amounts),
or
a proof of retirement pension or personal income.
or
a letter from your employer stating that you are on leave of absence, taking a sabbatical, or any other reasons.
If you are retired - social security payments, if you are self employed - business license.
A proof of lodging in France (+ 1 photocopy)
lease, lease agreement or title deeds in France,
or
a letter from someone living in France stating that he/she will provide accommodation during your stay in France. Included with this statement must be: copy of the host’s passport , if applicable, copy of his/her "carte de séjour", copy of the lease or title deeds and a copy of either a recent gas or electricity or telephone bill.
A Proof of medical insurance (+ 1 copy)
A letter from an insurance company stating that the applicant will have medical coverage valid in France.
For an accompanying spouse the marriage certificate is required. (+ 1 copy)
For minors accompanying their parents, the following documents must also be included:
A certified copy of the birth certificate (+ 1 copy)
A notarized authorization from each parent enabling the child to live in France (+ 1 copy), plus a copy of each parent’s passport
Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, rope