Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2014, 00:33   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54
Wintering at Kas Marina

Hi all,

I'm looking at a change of marina next winter despite being happy with Karpaz Gate Marina in the north of Cyprus (where I've been last 3 winters).

Kas is one of my favourite destinations and has a good offer going (their "get 50% free" deal that's been mentioned on here before) but I was hoping to get some comments from people who actually have their boats there over the winter. My concern with Kas has always been the combination of strong winds at times (as with anywhere) coupled with the deep water they have at the marina that makes for long mooring lines and long chains holding the pontoons in place. In strong wind/waves there must be quite a lot of movement which no doubt puts stress on boat's cleats, mooring lines, etc.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience (preferably recent as they might have made some improvements) they could share? Much appreciated!!

Phil
S/Y 37 Rocks
PhilDuhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 12:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Wintering at Kas Marina

Hi Phil,

I have been there couple of months ago. It's a very good, clean and well kept marina. I met the manager as well and the staff seemed to be professional.The marina was 50-60 % full at that time and plenty of Britts.
It's a 15-20 min walk to the center of the city in a pretty well protected bay. I don't think too much swell will enter.
I know that the technical capabilities are not as good as Marmaris.Being a new marina their prices are probably cheaper than Marmaris (for now, later it may be different) and the facilities are excellent.
Kas is a very small city in winter and can be boring. It's about 2 hours to Dalaman airport and 2-2,5 hours to Antalya airport .
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 20:46   #3

Boat: Selene 59

We have been to Kas marina a couple of times and love the place, beautiful little town and a couple of good restaurants on the marina. Everything practically new and good staff.

I would have no hesitation in leaving my boat there over winter but would probably put it up on the hard (which we do every other year, nothing particular about Kas would make me do it). There is a big (BIG) breakwater and the bay is very protected, only really open to the west, so I don't think swell would be a problem.

I think you would get very good at Scrabble if you spent a winter on your boat there though, it would be very quiet.

Brownie
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 22:18   #4

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

We visited Kas in May 2012 and again in August 2013. Each time it was a pleasant experience for 90% of the time we were docked in the marina. And each time it was most unpleasant for 10% of that time. When winds increased above 25 knots the docks would snake with so much movement that it was dangerous if not impossible to walk on the docks. I would not leave my boat there unattended during winter. It is so nice at Kas during good weather that it is easy to be lulled into thinking that it is well protected and would not experience bad swell during heavy weather. That is not true. It does get a lot of sea movement during high winds.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:26   #5

Boat: Oyster 435 - Miyagi Moon
Send a message via Skype™ to miyagimoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
We visited Kas in May 2012 and again in August 2013. Each time it was a pleasant experience for 90% of the time we were docked in the marina. And each time it was most unpleasant for 10% of that time. When winds increased above 25 knots the docks would snake with so much movement that it was dangerous if not impossible to walk on the docks. I would not leave my boat there unattended during winter. It is so nice at Kas during good weather that it is easy to be lulled into thinking that it is well protected and would not experience bad swell during heavy weather. That is not true. It does get a lot of sea movement during high winds.

Judy
Hi Phil,

What Judy has said appears to be perfectly correct. Some friends of ours who do not use any forum told us the same. In strong winds the pontoons which are held in place by chains move around dangerously. That IMO would put excessive strain on cleats etc.

Best idea is to have it stored on land. Or you could always come to Egypt with us.
miyagimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:43   #6

A few years ago, before the marina, I was anchored alone (just as well) in the middle of the bay there in December.
One night a thunderstorm lasted the whole night complete with 180 degree windshifts. Maximum windspeed i saw was 68kts, deck at 6am covered about 4cm deep in hailstones, one blade on my new wind transducer broken off and the 3 plastic windows in my spray dodger broken.
90m of chain out in 17m of water.
Brown water and trees down everywhere and power cuts onshore.

That evening was apparently pretty bad all along the coast others said later.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote