Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2011, 23:41   #1

Winter Storage 2012 Italy West Coast

Hi Crew
I'm looking to store my 11m sailboat on the hard at or near Fiumicino, Italy for winter 2012. I've tried emailing what few contacts I could find, but no replies. I don't care how basic the storage is. Any help out there?
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2011, 09:58   #2

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Re: Winter Storage 2012 Italy West Coast

Hi - there are very few of the yards either on the Fiumicino Canal or the Tiber who readily answer to emails, or indeed the phone. We didn't lift out (wintering afloat in Ostia marina) but there is a wide range of options and yards. In the canal you are further from Rome, and in the flightpath, but it is probably cheaper. In the river, many of the yards belong to private clubs, the north side of the river is miles from anywhere and not on bus routes. The south side may offer some very good deals with a bit of bargaining.

The best bet is to rock up (in either canal or to Ostia marina), allow yourself a few days afloat and ask around about space and cost. Take a good look at the lifting gear used in any yard and be satisfied about both it and the props. It is possible to pay a lot of money, or to find a good deal, but you need to get to the area and ask.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 06:58   #3

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaring Girl View Post
We didn't lift out (wintering afloat in Ostia marina)
What was the ballpark price for wintering in Ostia so i get an idea for rates in that area?

TWT
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 09:02   #4

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

i think sardina is better valve you for money if you contact anjou on here she has some info on sardina as i belive she spent a month or two there on the hard
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 17:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Hi Crew
I'm looking to store my 11m sailboat on the hard at or near Fiumicino, Italy for winter 2012. I've tried emailing what few contacts I could find, but no replies. I don't care how basic the storage is. Any help out there?
Hi DLYMN- Did you have any luck? I am leaving Greece in June and hope to leave my 13m sailboat in this area for the winter 2012-13... thanks, Mick.
surf888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 19:07   #6

Boat: FP Lipari 40' Catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Toys_with_time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
Hi Crew
We sent out about 30 emails for 2011/12 wintering and got maybe 5 replies. We tried for on the hard but ended up leaving boat in water on North East coast Sardinia in a marina where they provide monthly starting, airing, bilge checks, hull wash etc. The rate dropped dramatically after a bit of haggling. Can forward you copies of the replies I received if yr interested.

Cheers

TWT
Toys_with_time is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Italy, storage, italy