Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Winter in Gibraltar.

You can take your time sailing Southern Portugal. Great weather and enough fully protected anchorages to kick back and relax a while like we are currently in alvor, headed to portimao after a cappuccino Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1409660967.475097.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	87547
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 16:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Winter in Gibraltar.

[QUOTE=MarkJ;1619170]Personally i would hate to be stuck in Turkey for a winter... Best would be Netsel Marina in Marmaris but the call to prayer 5 times per day for 6 months? And the animosity towards non-muslims is growing apace.

Mark, I know you have been skippering for a while in Turkey but it must be long time ago. Turkey is a very fast changing country and I find most of yr comments on Turkey inaccurate, outdated and biased.
I have been living in Marmaris since 6-7 years and never heard prayer nearby Netsel. The real concern there is the outraging noise of the bars district. Thanks God, they are closed in winter..

Animosity against non muslim has never been an issue in Turkey and not at all in Marmaris. There is a large british, swedish and russian community in Marmaris (my wife is a non muslim too) and "animosity against non muslim" has never been heart of.

Generally speaking, Turks are easy and tolerent people and do not discriminate people by their race, nationality or religion.
I am sure many forumers who have visited Turkey will support this view.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 19:41   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I was only in Gibraltar for 3 days but can't imagine spending 3 months there. It would get really small really quickly and the party scene very old. My family visited Yeloya this summer for 5 days and spent another 3 near Gocek. It was very safe IMO and interesting to visit. It's a different culture to experience.

It's hard for me to believe the winters are as bad as people have posted lately in Turkey.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:05   #19

Boat: Samson C mist 31, Island Spirit 35, Young Sun 35, Island Spirit 37, Wharram Tangaroa, Edel 35, Edel

Hi Gibraltar is not a dump.
Its a great little town. Depends on what you like, but its got a lot of character.
Options of Marinas in Morroco and cheap ferries across both ways. I bought a little cat there several years ago, and loved the place
I live 45 mins from there if you need someone to check it out for you, let me know.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
hydelotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 00:10   #20

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

[QUOTE=yeloya;1619613]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Personally i would hate to be stuck in Turkey for a winter... Best would be Netsel Marina in Marmaris but the call to prayer 5 times per day for 6 months? And the animosity towards non-muslims is growing apace.

Mark, I know you have been skippering for a while in Turkey but it must be long time ago. Turkey is a very fast changing country and I find most of yr comments on Turkey inaccurate, outdated and biased.
I have been living in Marmaris since 6-7 years and never heard prayer nearby Netsel. The real concern there is the outraging noise of the bars district. Thanks God, they are closed in winter..

Animosity against non muslim has never been an issue in Turkey and not at all in Marmaris. There is a large british, swedish and russian community in Marmaris (my wife is a non muslim too) and "animosity against non muslim" has never been heart of.

Generally speaking, Turks are easy and tolerent people and do not discriminate people by their race, nationality or religion.
I am sure many forumers who have visited Turkey will support this view.

Cheers

Yeloya
Absolutely!!! We wintered twice at Yacht Classic Hotel dock in Fethiye and traveled extensively throughout Turkey. We departed Turkey late April 2014 to begin moving westward and will winter in Sicily this year. Turkey is a marvelous country rich with history. We experienced no animosity against us as non-Muslims even when visiting far eastern areas very close to the borders of Iraq and Syria last October where tourists almost never venture. We were oddities to the locals out there but there was no animosity. And there most certainly was no animosity or ill-feelings against non-Muslims anywhere in the coastal towns. Listening to the calls to prayer was not a big deal. Just don't get a berth right in front of a mosque with the speakers turned up too loudly. We only found that in one anchorage.

FWIW, we have attempted to get a reservation at Queensway Quay Marina in Gibraltar for 3 months next fall and have not yet been successful, even with a personal recommendation from a fellow Amel owner who is berthed there long term now. Good luck getting in there.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:56   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post

FWIW, we have attempted to get a reservation at Queensway Quay Marina in Gibraltar for 3 months next fall and have not yet been successful, even with a personal recommendation from a fellow Amel owner who is berthed there long term now. Good luck getting in there.

Judy

Just roll up. I think they hang out for super yachts or something stupid and say their marina is full for anything under 100 feet. but there space so just VHF from the harbour on arrival.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:36   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

i would second that,ie getting a reservation over the winter will be difficult,they normally have plenty of short stay transient berths for visiting yachts in gib at shepards,but getting a berth for over the winter may not be easy.

yacht port cartagena marina is also a cheap option if staying on the spanish mainland,with flights to the uk from murcia airport which are currently the cheapest for the whole of spain.

nigel from onestopyachtcare.com is very helpful if you need info or work done.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 23:18   #23

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Thanks MarkJ and Atoll. That is what we plan to do.
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:40   #24

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

[QUOTE=svBeBe;1621409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

Judy
There is at least one perk to being only 34'... Queensway replied to my email, and they do have slips available for us.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 07-09-2014, 04:07   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

[QUOTE=funjohnson;1622684]
Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post

There is at least one perk to being only 34'... Queensway replied to my email, and they do have slips available for us.

Thanks,

Matt
i would book it now if available to avoid disappointment later.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:52   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Winter in Gibraltar.

Queensway is not bad as marina's go.. stopped there for 2 nights last month.. cheap, clean, decent showers etc.. only minus.. its a bit of a hike from things..
Food costs in Morrissons seemed on a par with the UK.. but.. being a smoker and drinker it balanced out to a nice level on that side..
Oh.. and its got a Big Mac's as well.. just by Morrissons..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Gibraltar