Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2019, 05:04   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Winter berthing in Italy

Hi CF members,
We are looking at leaving our Lagoon 450 from late November to April in Marina di Ravenna, Italy. Just seeing if anyone has spent anytime there or any other experience with alternate marinas, pricing seems very reasonable and is close to Croatia. Any feedback would be welcome.
Cheers
Euge
Euge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:12   #2

Boat: Moody 425
Re: Winter berthing in Italy

Nothing to add myself, but we are also looking at wintering in the area so watching this space
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:37   #3

Boat: ETAP, 28i, 28

Please contact a sailor and former sailing teacher Mr Davide Biondi, who has his ETAP 30i in Marina di Ravenna harbour (on he Adriatic sea Italian side, facing Croatia and not far from Ionic Greece, Albania and other beautiful destinations). He speaks English fluently, and he could give you any info and any tip on Marina di Ravenna fares and peculiarities, rules on admission to Croatia and entrance fees for sailors, and so on. His wife Cecilia and their daughters are also very good sailors and knowledgeable on the subjet, extremely friendly, and you couldn't find better mentors.

ceciliaedavidebiondi@tiscalinet.it
+39 039-731326 (home)
+39 338-8506055 (cellular)
find also in several social media (fb etc.)

Let me know the results
Best greetings and beautiful navigations ... we say "Buon Vento !"
Francesco Tamburrano (ftamburrano@libero.it)

PS: By the way, in the Marina di Ravenna area you find the best Italian food, and fantastic touristic towns like RAVENNA (former capital of the Western Roman Empire, where you can visit 15 centuries old Cathedrals like San Vitale and Sant'Apollinare in Classe, the tumb of the famous Dante poet (the greatest in Italy, who lived around 1300), Venice, Padua and many other within 50 miles. Just rent a car and you are in the heart of the cradle of western civilisation, and enjoy the best cuisine and friendly people.
ftamburrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:54   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Are planning on living aboard?
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:16   #5
cruiser

Don't forget to check out pricing in San Giorgio di Nogaro. Three marinas, great pricing on the hard or in a fresh water tributary.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2019, 07:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftamburrano View Post
Please contact a sailor and former sailing teacher Mr Davide Biondi, who has his ETAP 30i in Marina di Ravenna harbour (on he Adriatic sea Italian side, facing Croatia and not far from Ionic Greece, Albania and other beautiful destinations). He speaks English fluently, and he could give you any info and any tip on Marina di Ravenna fares and peculiarities, rules on admission to Croatia and entrance fees for sailors, and so on. His wife Cecilia and their daughters are also very good sailors and knowledgeable on the subjet, extremely friendly, and you couldn't find better mentors.

ceciliaedavidebiondi@tiscalinet.it
+39 039-731326 (home)
+39 338-8506055 (cellular)
find also in several social media (fb etc.)

Let me know the results
Best greetings and beautiful navigations ... we say "Buon Vento !"
Francesco Tamburrano (ftamburrano@libero.it)

PS: By the way, in the Marina di Ravenna area you find the best Italian food, and fantastic touristic towns like RAVENNA (former capital of the Western Roman Empire, where you can visit 15 centuries old Cathedrals like San Vitale and Sant'Apollinare in Classe, the tumb of the famous Dante poet (the greatest in Italy, who lived around 1300), Venice, Padua and many other within 50 miles. Just rent a car and you are in the heart of the cradle of western civilisation, and enjoy the best cuisine and friendly people.

Thank you Francesco! I have only just read your response, the place sounds perfect to leave our boat and also explore the many places in this area, not to mention being excited about the fabulous food! Will be in touch after I have spoken Davide.
Happy sailing!
Euge
Old 20-06-2019, 07:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Are planning on living aboard?

No, was looking at leaving her in the water whilst we go back to Australia for 4-5 months. The Schengen makes it hard to live aboard.
Old 20-06-2019, 07:21   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don't forget to check out pricing in San Giorgio di Nogaro. Three marinas, great pricing on the hard or in a fresh water tributary.

Thanks Kenomac, I notice you have been in the area for a while. We are currently in Montenegro and headed towards Croatia in a week or so.
Old 13-07-2019, 02:28   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euge View Post
No, was looking at leaving her in the water whilst we go back to Australia for 4-5 months. The Schengen makes it hard to live aboard.
Don't remind of us Schengen - we have been fighting for 6 years - sailed across in "13 and spent 2 winters in Tunisia, 3 in Turkey and 1 in Israel. If you want to spend time aboard and have a great winter go to Israel.

We just wish we had discovered Israel sooner. It is not that hard to get to or get out of and wow what a great experience. We sailed weekly and the people there really use their boats.

Think Israel
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 00:58   #10

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

As an Australian you have the right to 90 days out of 180 in Italy regardless of time spent in any other schengen zone. This also aplies in spain, germany, and Netherlands. Of course your time in italy will count in those of the schengen without speciail agreements with Australia.
So you could do 3 monyhs in greece or france, then 3 months in italy, then 3 months out of schengen croatia or turkey, then back to the cycle again.
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 01:24   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabil View Post
As an Australian you have the right to 90 days out of 180 in Italy regardless of time spent in any other schengen zone. This also aplies in spain, germany, and Netherlands. Of course your time in italy will count in those of the schengen without speciail agreements with Australia.
So you could do 3 monyhs in greece or france, then 3 months in italy, then 3 months out of schengen croatia or turkey, then back to the cycle again.
You might want to read the agreement a little more carefully. Unless Australia has a different arrangement with Italy that I don’t know about, it’s 90 in Schengen countries, then 90 out. Not 90 days in each consecutive. I do know that Italy isn’t very stringent with enforcement of several countries, America, Australia etc., but just try to exit via a country like Switzerland... you’d better have all your days counted and your ducks in order.... or you’ll be facing fines or expulsion from Schengen countries.

Please check it out before you face substantial fines for overstaying.

Note: All of the EU Schengen countries are now using the computerized passport identification system.... no more waving people through checkpoints like a few years ago.
Old 14-07-2019, 03:44   #12

Location: house is in melbourne australia and Muscade currently in Med.
Boat: fontaine pajot Marquises 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You might want to read the agreement a little more carefully. Unless Australia has a different arrangement with Italy that I don’t know about, it’s 90 in Schengen countries, then 90 out. Not 90 days in each consecutive. I do know that Italy isn’t very stringent with enforcement of several countries, America, Australia etc., but just try to exit via a country like Switzerland... you’d better have all your days counted and your ducks in order.... or you’ll be facing fines or expulsion from Schengen countries.

Please check it out before you face substantial fines for overstaying.

Note: All of the EU Schengen countries are now using the computerized passport identification system.... no more waving people through checkpoints like a few years ago.
Australia does have a seperate agreement with the countries I listed above. As i said Italy, Spain, Germany, Netherlands allow Australians time in their countries regardless of time spent in other schengen countries, BUT the other schengen countries will count your time in all schengen countries, thats why you have to plan the direction of travel.

Germany allows Australians to stay in Germany for 90, exit to a preferably non schengen country for a day and then re enter for another 90 days. The advice is a non schengen so you are stamped as entering Germany, not the schengen. You can continue this pattern.

Italy allows Australians 3 months in, 1 month out, 3 months in etc. Exact wording in the document no. 2447, signed in Rome on 19th june 1951 and still effective states - Australian nationals in possession of a valid Australian passport who decide to enter Italy for reasons other than taking up permamemt residence, will be able to enter, and re,ain in, the territory of the republic for a period not exceeding 3 months without a visa,. This concession does not apply to Somaliland, which is under Italian trusteeship administration. Australian nationals who have entered Italy without a visa and have spent 3 concecutive months in the country, may re-enter Italy without a visa after an absence from the territory of the republic of a period of one month, unless they obtain special exemption from the appropriate authorities. It continues on to say you have to comply with laws which doesnt allow employments etc.

I reserched both these agreements on the web, the German one was easy to find, the Italian a little harder so I printed it out. Havnt bothered with the Spanish or others yet as not options for me.

Obviously contact the embassy of whichever country you want to spend the extra time in to verify that they understand these agreements are still valid. According to what I found they are.

http://www.traveller.com.au/how-the-...initely-h0ufui
karabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 04:38   #13
cruiser

Karabil,

That’s all very good information to know. Thanks much for extending my knowledge base on the subject.

Cheers

Ken
Old 15-07-2019, 13:39   #14

Boat: Moody 425

Thanks as well. Thats good information we will be looking into. Aussies currently in Malta, but would like to live aboard in Winter. Italy is a good candidate for that given the above.
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 08:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabil View Post
Australia does have a seperate agreement with the countries I listed above. As i said Italy, Spain, Germany, Netherlands allow Australians time in their countries regardless of time spent in other schengen countries, BUT the other schengen countries will count your time in all schengen countries, thats why you have to plan the direction of travel.

Germany allows Australians to stay in Germany for 90, exit to a preferably non schengen country for a day and then re enter for another 90 days. The advice is a non schengen so you are stamped as entering Germany, not the schengen. You can continue this pattern.

Italy allows Australians 3 months in, 1 month out, 3 months in etc. Exact wording in the document no. 2447, signed in Rome on 19th june 1951 and still effective states - Australian nationals in possession of a valid Australian passport who decide to enter Italy for reasons other than taking up permamemt residence, will be able to enter, and re,ain in, the territory of the republic for a period not exceeding 3 months without a visa,. This concession does not apply to Somaliland, which is under Italian trusteeship administration. Australian nationals who have entered Italy without a visa and have spent 3 concecutive months in the country, may re-enter Italy without a visa after an absence from the territory of the republic of a period of one month, unless they obtain special exemption from the appropriate authorities. It continues on to say you have to comply with laws which doesnt allow employments etc.

I reserched both these agreements on the web, the German one was easy to find, the Italian a little harder so I printed it out. Havnt bothered with the Spanish or others yet as not options for me.

Obviously contact the embassy of whichever country you want to spend the extra time in to verify that they understand these agreements are still valid. According to what I found they are.

http://www.traveller.com.au/how-the-...initely-h0ufui

Hey Karabil,
Thank you for posting this information, I’m sure many members will be grateful, I know I am.
Euge

Tags
Italy