Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 04:13   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
re: Windy Weather for England = Cat 1 Strength

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
This doesn't count as a hurricane. Its not in the right continent.

I believe there were over 17 hurricane force storms in the north Pacific last year. I don't know how many in the north Atlantic but quite a few I imagine.
Of course. A hurricane is a Tropical Rotating Storm, born of rather different conditions, and with different behavior.

These higher latitude North Atlantic storms, blowing in mostly one direction at hurricane force, are more fearsome than a TRS. God help you if you get caught out in the Western Approaches in one of these. The sea state produced by them is much worse than what is produced in a hurricane.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 04:15   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
This doesn't count as a hurricane. Its not in the right continent.

I believe there were over 17 hurricane force storms in the north Pacific last year. I don't know how many in the north Atlantic but quite a few I imagine.
it is a new project by the met office to raise awareness of potentially destructive weather
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/re...7-18-announced

Storm names for 2017-18 announced
6 September 2017

The Met Office and Met Éireann announce the storm names for the 2017-18 season.

The first storm of the year will be female and will be named ‘Aileen’, the gender of the first storm alternates each year and follows Angus in the 2016-17 season.

Surveys conducted after named storms in 2016/17 have shown further increases in awareness and action taken in response to people hearing of a named storm. Storm Doris for example achieved an 89% awareness score with 94% of those responders finding the severe weather warning useful. 82% of people that took action ahead of Storm Doris felt they were right to do so.

Derrick Ryall, Head of Public Weather Services at the Met Office, said: “Last year was another successful pilot of the storm naming project and it’s great to be now making it operational. Naming storms has been proved to raise awareness of severe weather in the UK, crucially prompting people to take action to prevent harm to themselves or their property.”
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 04:48   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
it is a new project by the met office to raise awareness of potentially destructive weather
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/re...7-18-announced

Storm names for 2017-18 announced
6 September 2017

The Met Office and Met Éireann announce the storm names for the 2017-18 season.

The first storm of the year will be female and will be named ‘Aileen’, the gender of the first storm alternates each year and follows Angus in the 2016-17 season.

Surveys conducted after named storms in 2016/17 have shown further increases in awareness and action taken in response to people hearing of a named storm. Storm Doris for example achieved an 89% awareness score with 94% of those responders finding the severe weather warning useful. 82% of people that took action ahead of Storm Doris felt they were right to do so.

Derrick Ryall, Head of Public Weather Services at the Met Office, said: “Last year was another successful pilot of the storm naming project and it’s great to be now making it operational. Naming storms has been proved to raise awareness of severe weather in the UK, crucially prompting people to take action to prevent harm to themselves or their property.”
Is more awareness really needed? English people have been living with this weather for thousands of years.

It may be that it is not as big deal here simply because everything is built to withstand it. Almost no one here is stupid enough to go to sea in such weather. People generally know how to tie their boats up so that they don't get damaged.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 14-09-2017, 05:45   #19

Boat: Building 31 ft cat
Send a message via ICQ to cliffdykes

They were forecasting potential GUSTS of wind to 75 mph, in the area of the centre of the depression, not sustained winds of 75 mph so it was never forecast to be hurricane force in the first place.

We were in supposedly the worst affected area and it came to nothing at all - didn't even disturb my beauty sleep!

All in all a damp squib.

Cheers
Cliff
cliffdykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 06:34   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Is more awareness really needed? English people have been living with this weather for thousands of years.

It may be that it is not as big deal here simply because everything is built to withstand it. Almost no one here is stupid enough to go to sea in such weather. People generally know how to tie their boats up so that they don't get damaged.
i think it is more aimed at home owners,particularly those poor sods who bought homes located in flood plains

developers were in such a hurry to cash in on the property boom of the 90's,and ommitted to mention this in the brochures for perspective buyers at the time.

if you must build in flood plains build at 1st story level,and have parking underneath,would go a long way to alleviate residents on street parking problems as well

next thing you know insurance companys won't cover property for named storms or charge higher premiums for that category of cover........its just the big guys covering their asses as usual for public liability claims...
Old 15-09-2017, 00:36   #21

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
i survived but in desperate need of aid!.....please send beer,ciggys ,pasties and Boris when he has finished his million pound tour of the resorts that still have aircon,and getting in the way of the service people who are doing a great job even without his help.......
Pasties you say . . . and will they be crimped on the side, or on the top matey?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 07:05   #22

Why did Chris Cuomo while he was reporting on Irma, constantly refer to the storm as "he". I checked, and Irma is a female name, and all other commentators identified it as such?
jcgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:32   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

A non native speaker may use male or female forms in English, based on their (speaker's) native distributions of gender words. This may result in either cross-dressing of some words ;-) or use of sexist nouns ;-) where in English the word is neutral.

An example is a Spanish minded speaker referring to a ship in English and calling her a he.

Etc.

I have never heard a storm name substituted by "he" as it seems most common to use "it" when substituting the name.

Last but not least, Irma may potentially be a male name in a (?) language. Think of Maria (now reigning in the West Indies). Where I live, it is a female name, too.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:48   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Of course. A hurricane is a Tropical Rotating Storm, born of rather different conditions, and with different behavior.

These higher latitude North Atlantic storms, blowing in mostly one direction at hurricane force, are more fearsome than a TRS. God help you if you get caught out in the Western Approaches in one of these. The sea state produced by them is much worse than what is produced in a hurricane.
Yep. Often the way they spell it is exactly as Dockhead uses it: "... hurricane force winds ..." referring to especially strong winds in a system that is not technically (NOAA standards) a hurricane.

And, as he noticed, the high latitude ones (storms) even though their flow is closed (oval rather than circular), they are vastly more powerful on one side. In this case, this disproportion is way more pronounced than in a tropical system.

Because their low pressure side is on the opposite end, they have the opposite sail safe rule - you may opt to be on their Polar side. With a tropical system, you may opt to be on the Equatorial side.

Some time back, extra-tropical was used for such cyclonic systems when the exited the tropics. Interestingly, this use seems to be getting abandoned and the phrase post-tropical is, what I believe, the standard now.

Not all hurricanes are born in the tropics, or in between the tropics, so we have the phrase extra-tropical pretty adequate to use with cyclonic storm systems that exceed the force of the storm and are not born in the tropics. I believe Delta was one (not sure, but readers may investigate onwards).

And, whichever one it is, we are better off tied to the dock sipping tea (England) or rhum (Martinique) than trying to survive them out at sea.

Read the forecast. Sail safe.

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 07:15   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yep. Often the way they spell it is exactly as Dockhead uses it: "... hurricane force winds ..." referring to especially strong winds in a system that is not technically (NOAA standards) a hurricane.

And, as he noticed, the high latitude ones (storms) even though their flow is closed (oval rather than circular), they are vastly more powerful on one side. In this case, this disproportion is way more pronounced than in a tropical system.

Because their low pressure side is on the opposite end, they have the opposite sail safe rule - you may opt to be on their Polar side. With a tropical system, you may opt to be on the Equatorial side.

Some time back, extra-tropical was used for such cyclonic systems when the exited the tropics. Interestingly, this use seems to be getting abandoned and the phrase post-tropical is, what I believe, the standard now.

Not all hurricanes are born in the tropics, or in between the tropics, so we have the phrase extra-tropical pretty adequate to use with cyclonic storm systems that exceed the force of the storm and are not born in the tropics. I believe Delta was one (not sure, but readers may investigate onwards).

And, whichever one it is, we are better off tied to the dock sipping tea (England) or rhum (Martinique) than trying to survive them out at sea.

Read the forecast. Sail safe.

Love,
b.
Indeed!

As someone mentioned, the Met Office has starting naming storms in the UK.

Some idea of what kind of storms we get up here can be seen from this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015%E...ndstorm_season

11 storms with gusts at hurricane force in one season.

Of course "gust" and "hurricane force" don't really belong in the same sentence. More interesting for us would be the sustained wind.

But in any case -- you can see how much stronger the weather gets already at these moderately high latitudes (50N at Cowes).
Walt Whitman
Old 25-09-2017, 04:37   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Well, the next little depression is on its way due to arrive next Monday. Looks like it could be a rough Winter.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monday.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	156637  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 03:48   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Windy Weather for England = Cat 1 Strength

Well, its not a hurricane so probably only going to be a bit windy this weekend as this lot travels East.

The seem to be arriving at a rate of 1 a week at the moment.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stormy Oct.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	158067  
Old 20-10-2017, 04:04   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well, its not a hurricane so probably only going to be a bit windy this weekend as this lot travels East.

The seem to be arriving at a rate of 1 a week at the moment.

Pete
i'm pleased i put the 2nd anchor out
at least with these lows the strong wind generally only comes from the west or south west,where i am i have good all round protection, from the east it can get a bit of a chop from down the river.
Old 20-10-2017, 04:16   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yep, I am going to skip work this afternoon and hopefully take the Genoa down to reduce the windage.

Pete
Old 20-10-2017, 04:34   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
i'm pleased i put the 2nd anchor out
Two anchors?

What a waste of Pasty money....