Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2018, 00:22   #16

Re: What should you not miss when sailing the Mediterranean ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
If you look at a world map, you'll see that the Medd is about the same latitude as where you're at....and the wx will be similar. Winter in the Medd is a good place to get into a marina and explore the land; sailing is not a good plan. BUT....summers are a totally different story. Yes, there are Melatami's and some not-good wx, but there's lots of good wx days. We sailed Turkey, Greece, The Adriatic up to Venice, and Italy. DO NOT miss the Adriatic-make that your Must See place above all others.

I appreciate the insight and will make sure to visit the Adriatic. Hopefully I can find a few dive shops still open if I go. Unfortunately, I cannot make it to the Med. during the summers as I am working in the Cdn Rockies.

Incidentally, it is my understanding that most of the Mediterranean lies around 40th parallel north whereas I reside north of 50 degrees. I realize that most wouldn't find temps in the lower teens enjoyable, but I hope that my time living here as well as in Vancouver and San Francisco will let me overcome the humidity and cold.

Once again, thank you for the insights as I really do appreciate the knowledge and will likely be shelving my cruising plans. Enjoy the BVI!
mtns2marinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 00:23   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
If you are planning to sail the Med in the middle of winter, you will need a 100 meter boat.

That is unfortunate as this novice Canadians does not have the budget for that.
Old 14-10-2018, 00:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
1) this itinerary cannot be done in 3 months, at least not in winter and not if you don't want to be totally stressed out.
2) I don't think your insurance will cover Beirut and Lebanon. Egypt maybe. However I would not go to these places, and Im a very positive person and have sailed on the Med for years.
3) Greece is very wet during the winter.

Thank you... I really appreciate the insights as I am completely green when it comes to this part of the world.
Old 14-10-2018, 00:42   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
There are several points that stand out to me in this question,
1 novice Canadian
2 sailing to the Med
3 Winter in the Med
4 Extremely solid itinerary
Perhaps I am/have become a somewhat cynical old bastard but this reeks of a troll like question or at best a query from someone that has absolutely no idea of the proposed plan.

Bob, Please don't become cynical as it limits the positivity of everyone around you. In order to help elevate the pungent scent surrounding your insight, let me clarify that I am indeed an novice Cdn "sailor", who "was" floating the idea of renting or even trying to find a "ride" through the Mediterranean during winter where it will be substantially warmer than I am now.

I will give you credit for correctly surmising that my thought of sailing the Med in the winter of 2019-20 was not well thought-out; but then again if it had been, why would I have posted a query asking for helpful insights?

I appreciate the insight and the tune that went with it.
Old 14-10-2018, 05:56   #20

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
If you look at a world map, you'll see that the Medd is about the same latitude as where you're at....and the wx will be similar. Winter in the Medd is a good place to get into a marina and explore the land; sailing is not a good plan. BUT....summers are a totally different story. Yes, there are Melatami's and some not-good wx, but there's lots of good wx days. We sailed Turkey, Greece, The Adriatic up to Venice, and Italy. DO NOT miss the Adriatic-make that your Must See place above all others.
My sailing is limited to the Chesepeake Bay in tne States. What is a Melatami? I can't find a definition when I Google the term.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 06:55   #21

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddiscenza View Post
My sailing is limited to the Chesepeake Bay in tne States. What is a Melatami? I can't find a definition when I Google the term.
I think he meant medicane, a storm.
Old 14-10-2018, 07:46   #22

Boat: porta bote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I think he meant medicane, a storm.

Try Meltemi (or Etesian) in summer

For winter listen to what yelova has to say.

Fair winds
Martin

CHAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 23:02   #23

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtns2marinas View Post
I appreciate the insights and realize a rethink is in order. Having done all my sailing in the Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound, I am not familiar with the Mediterranean but I thought that it is a spot ideally suited for cruising rather than touring by land.

Unfortunately with my work, winter really is my only free time. As this was planned for next winter 2019-20, I threw out the post to get a few ideas and appreciate everyone's insights.
If you ever get there, then Malta is a must in our view. Otranto is great, as is sailing into Venice. Then there's Bonifacio - also very special.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 00:53   #24

The Med can be great to explore in the winter....just not by boat.

As a Canadian, the weather (by Canadian winter standards---40-60F high temps) will be warm and the crowds down.

We've spent time in Italy and Spain the last few winters and loved it. This year we are doing a month in Greece over Christmas...but we are using land based apartments.

It's really quite economical if you stay a month or so in major destinations rather than bounce around a lot. A month each in Barcelona, Rome and maybe Athens would give you a nice flavor and done smart, won't break the bank.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 01:09   #25

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We live in Italy and have sailed here the past year. Delivered our boat home from Mallorca in Feb (winter). Got caught in 3 storms in 8 days. About to leave the Med. Although they changed it a bit, this was the forecast. Sailing in the Med in winter is no joke. It is worse than you can imagine at times. Definitely NOT novice sailing. Also, you'll be transiting most of those 3 month with that itinerary...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wind.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	178959   Click image for larger version

Name:	waves.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	178960  

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 01:36   #26

Boat: Deerberg Beryll, Hartley 39

Sailing in Med in winter is very pleasant, if you are not on a schedule. Taverns are nice, the people are friendly, the quality of the services is way higher than in summer. Just hang around till the next window of good weather. There are zillions of nice places to explore in any corner, so planning to check half of Med on a schedule means that you will pass by a lot of marvelous places without stopping.
calin1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2018, 11:03   #27

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtns2marinas View Post
Unfortunately with my work, winter really is my only free time. As this was planned for next winter 2019-20, I threw out the post to get a few ideas and appreciate everyone's insights.
How much winter does it need to be for you to get of from work?

If you could get your vacation in the shoulder season september is nice and october can be the same. Also, when you get to this part of the year the crowds are gone, all prices are lower and the temperatures are more managable.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 07:15   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 32 (Richards)

Just curious -- how did you plan to get from the west coast of BC to the Mediterranean? You must be planning on a charter, in which case the comments about crossing the North Atlantic in winter don't apply. I grew up on the BC coast, and have been in the Med in winter. The climates actually are similar (for my yankee friends, the area between Vancouver Island and the BC mainland actually has a Mediterranean climate, as the term is defined by climatologists).
Old 19-10-2018, 07:25   #29

Med has big winds that pop up without warning.
I recommend you read any book that explains each area that you are considering so you know what could happen.
Some places people don't go near at certain times of the year, Corinth can be v windy.
Really worthwhile reading up and planning for a safe trip.
West coast Corsica a gem, beautiful, check out winter conditions for sailing as I have done twice only in summer with perfect conditions
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 07:30   #30

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

Sailing the med in 3 month is a rush. Sounds like "Can't we take a subway from Berlin to Paris..."
I am not a novice sailor in Europe but even a European and my plan is to leave Croatia in spring 2019 and go via Greece, Malta, Italy, France, Balearic Islands to the SE corner of Spain to stay there for the winter. (In spring 2020 I will head out into the Atlantic Ocean).
If you take all the effort to come from Canada to Europe you should stay longer. The touristic season is July and August. The other times it is already pretty empty in Marinas and bays.

For more details you can contact me.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mediterranean, sail, sailing